PDA

View Full Version : Julians Journey - My first web game

jdarling
04-02-2010, 02:36 PM
Ok, this has nothing at all to do with Pascal, but it is a game :). Julian and I have been working on it at night for about a week now, and we are ready for some feedback from others. There are only 4 random easy levels implemented at this time, but you can get the basic idea fairly easily.

There are issues with IE and the game itself (something about how IE handles clicks and screen positions) but in general the game is playable in all other browsers.

I'm looking for feedback from others, bug reports, and other such things. This version doesn't have the backend anti-cheating code in place, so its fairly easy (if you know JavaScript and have a good debugger) to cheat your way through.

Click the link or the image below to play the game at http://eonclash.com/juliansjourney/

Leave your comments here, good, bad, or indifferent.

http://eonclash.com/juliansjourney/imgs/title-screen.jpg
Play Julians Journey (http://eonclash.com/juliansjourney/)

- Jeremy

PS: As the credits screen says, the graphics are from Planet Cute by Danc of Lost Garden and the music is licensed under CC (see credits for link).

grudzio
04-02-2010, 06:35 PM
Nice little game. Add more levels and it will be really fun to play.
It worked perfectly in my Opera 10.10, but did not start in IE 6. Only title image appeared and nothing more.

Few comments:

There is second Julian sprite in top left corner of the map. Is it supposed to be there?
I think that close button should be moved (or added) to the bottom in the instruction screen. It took me some time to find it at the top :)
I would change the random picking of levels so no level can be played twice in the row.
(Once I was given same level three times in a row).
There is a spelling mistake in help - ojbect instead of object

jdarling
04-02-2010, 07:15 PM
Grudzio, I'm guessing your on a MAC and not a PC. Unfortunately my MAC is down for the count, so while I'm waiting for parts I can't test on that platform :(.

Currently I'm working on a level designer and DB backend for the game so I can build the levels easier than creating the JSON object by hand like I do now :). Also in the next release the levels will not load the same one in a row (already fixed in our development enviornment, Julian got tired of that really quick).

Added a close button to the bottom of all popups as well as the top :).

Fixed the spelling mistake as well (thanks for pointing that one out).

For the 2nd copy of Julian, guess I'm stuck till I get my MAC back :(.

- Jeremy

de_jean_7777
04-02-2010, 07:50 PM
I tried it out with Firefox 3.6 on a Windows XP and it works without problems. However I noticed the main screen says 'Can you help me find al of the gems.'. It should say 'all' instead of 'al'. Very nice and simple game.

grudzio
04-02-2010, 08:13 PM
Grudzio, I'm guessing your on a MAC and not a PC.

Actually I am on PC (Windows XP) :). I've tried it on Firefox 3.6 and everything is ok. So it looks like this second sprite of Julian is an Opera issue :(.

jdarling
04-02-2010, 10:20 PM
The game is currently offline while I make some updates. I accidentally published some changes that were not ready to go live, so until I get all of the changes complete its offline :(.

I'll let you know when its back up.

- Jeremy

jdarling
04-02-2010, 11:13 PM
The game should be back online now. Let me know if you have any problems. I'll post here when I get the editor complete and start creating new levels :)

paul_nicholls
04-02-2010, 11:58 PM
Very cute, nice graphics & music, but I can't even complete the first level!!

I select Julian, and click on the next valid move for him, the star.

Then when he is there, what can I do next?!?

there don't seem to be any other moves for him, or the other characters?

I have read the instructions, but I must not be understanding something :(

EDIT: ok, I can now move the other characters around...will see how I go...

Ok, I completed the first level, but the game-play isn't very intuitive...at least to me :(

I am just having to try different characters till I get Julian to the end...and have had to restart a few times because of a wrong move.

cheers,
Paul

jdarling
05-02-2010, 05:56 PM
I've completed the first generation of the level designer, and managed to get three new levels up and running. One new Blue, one new Green, and one new Orange (feel sorry for you if you get that one). I'm still working out details for an offline designer and player, but I think progress is good so far. If I keep getting positive feedback I might have to get the anti-cheat code in place and release this thing LOL.

- Jeremy

PS: If you want to give building a level a shot, here is the way its done now:
1) Draw a 7x7 grid on a piece of paper
2) Place your pieces on the grid (You can use c1-c4 for friends, tree1-tree3 for trees, rock, and of course c for Julian)
2a) You can have multiple rocks and trees, but only one copy of c1-c4 and c on the grid
3) Place the target on the grid
4) Make sure there is a solution for your level
5) Draw it in paint or something similar
6) Write the solution in a text editor (hey, I don't have time to go through every possibility)
7) PM me, and if its good or one I don't have, I'll put it up.