PDA

View Full Version : [NEW] Pascal Gamer Magazine Website Redesign

WILL
06-04-2010, 11:20 AM
Hey everyone, I am pleased to announce the long needed redesign of the Pascal Gamer Magazine website!

It took a couple of weeks to get all the features required to host everything I wanted to put into the site, but low and behold here it is. A brand new site just in time to show off the next upcoming issue of the publication. Next issue has been 'cut and filled' meaning that I will not be adding any more pages to the next issue. All that remains is to finish off the last few game reviews, news posts and do a once-over spell/grammar check of the entire mag before I release it for publication on the web site.

I've also been holding off mentioning this until I had the time to really work on it, but I am also planning on setting up versions of the first two issues on my Lulu.com account for purchase. Fear not, the online downloadable PDF format version of the magazine will remain FREE of charge.

Go check out the new site at www.PascalGamer.com (http://www.pascalgamer.com/) and get ready for another issue some time this month!

Brainer
06-04-2010, 12:24 PM
Nice work with the website. Now it looks cleaner and more professional. :)

de_jean_7777
06-04-2010, 01:04 PM
It certainly has a nicer look. Simple but effective. Not my kind of aesthetics but it's a great improvement over the previous site design.

WILL
06-04-2010, 06:10 PM
Thanks guys!

I should also point out that I've put up a 'Donate' button on the site should anyone want to make a monetary donation to help with some of the hosting costs, advertisement, etc...

Thank you Douglas Chamberlin for being the first! :)

And if you already went to the site and wondered how you were to contact me through the website I'm just putting up the contact information shortly. Lastly there are banner ads which you can download and use on your sites to help promote the magazine via your own personal websites and blogs. Feel free to download these and use them as you like!

99 Downloads for Issue 1 since the redesign! Very motivational! 8)

Brainer
07-04-2010, 02:51 PM
I added an ad to my website. :)

WILL
07-04-2010, 03:31 PM
I added an ad to my website. :)

Awesome! :) If you have any ideas for other shapes or types of banners let me know.

Brainer
07-04-2010, 05:02 PM
Well, if you could make a logo for the mag, you may use a template like this:
http://pateman.net76.net/img/PoweredByDelphi32_h.png

WILL
08-04-2010, 01:04 PM
Well, if you could make a logo for the mag, you may use a template like this:
http://pateman.net76.net/img/PoweredByDelphi32_h.png

Hmm... yeah the mag doesn't really have a logo or even a mascot yet... I guess unless you consider me a mascot. lol

And... a thank you out to Jarrod Davis of PyroGine Development, maker of the PyroGine Game Engine for you kind donation to the magazine. :)

WILL
15-04-2010, 11:05 PM
Issue 2 is almost upon us. :)

paul_nicholls
16-04-2010, 05:25 AM
Issue 2 is almost upon us. :)

yay! I'm looking forward to it chief :)
cheers,
Paul

WILL
16-04-2010, 07:01 AM
I've just put a bunch more work into the website. Unfortunately it's nothing you'll really see on-site, but if you're a subscriber you might. :) Mostly it's just some admin stuff so that when there is a new publication released it's a bit easier for me to add the necessary announcements and send out emails to all the magazine's subscribers.

If you haven't subscribed yet and want to be informed via email as soon as the new issue is posted, be sure to stop by the Pascal Gamer Website and fill in your email on the main page. the new issue will be done really soon. (As in before next week.)

WILL
17-04-2010, 03:42 AM
What resolution or resolutions would you guys prefer to have your downloadable pdf copy of each issue? I'm considering having 2 different resolutions for you to choose from this way if you have a high-end connection and a great system you have the higher res, but if you don't have a really fast connection or a higher end system the lower res won't kill you trying to get it and/or read it.

What would be best out of these? 300, 200, 100 or 72dpi? Or is there another standard dpi resolution you guys think would be better?

paul_nicholls
17-04-2010, 05:04 AM
What resolution or resolutions would you guys prefer to have your downloadable pdf copy of each issue? I'm considering having 2 different resolutions for you to choose from this way if you have a high-end connection and a great system you have the higher res, but if you don't have a really fast connection or a higher end system the lower res won't kill you trying to get it and/or read it.

What would be best out of these? 300, 200, 100 or 72dpi? Or is there another standard dpi resolution you guys think would be better?

I have no idea to be honest...

Here at home, I have a widescreen laptop (1366 x 768 resolution), but at work I have 1280 x 1024 normal 19" monitor...

My laptop isn't the fastest it seems when it comes to PDFs LOL

cheers,
Paul

Ñuño Martínez
19-04-2010, 07:26 AM

In home I use very often an "old" display of 1024 pixels width. ::) Don't know how many dpi.

WILL
06-07-2010, 03:36 AM
Hey folks just wanted to point out that I've been working on the Pascal Gamer site a bit and I've done a few things to enhance it a bit.

1) Site Menu; as it's been pointed out to me having the menu on all pages would make navigation a bit easier so I changed the layout a bit and now you can access the menu from all pages. (No more going back to the index page just to go back to another section on the site.

2) Contributions page; I've added a page for information about making submissions to future articles in the mag. I'm not done yet as basic instructions will soon follow once I have a bit more time.

3) Game Reviews page; I'll be adding some game reviews from past issues that can be seen from the site directly. This will also act as a nice showcase for many polished releases all made in Pascal.

4) A bit of promotion; I've added some images of yours truly holding live print copies of your favorite magazine publication! ;) I've also added an amazon.com banner, which really is a neat bonus to the site, because I can not just hope that visitors will buy books seen from my store, but show off actual Pascal related books and software available at amazon.com.

I hope that these tweaks to the site will improve it's usefulness and that you enjoy them. Feel free to have a look once again and leave me your impressions. Thanks!