PDA

View Full Version : Particle effect viewer project

paul_nicholls
13-04-2010, 11:51 AM
Hi all,
I found this project today on gamedev.net, and it looks frigin' mega awesome!!!

http://www.gamedev.net/community/forums/topic.asp?topic_id=512130

I gotta try and convert it to pascal so I can use some of the effects in my games!!

I downloaded all the stuff, and tried the executable - one word, wow!!

When you run it, hit the '0' key first to do the user definable particle script - you will get 'blown away'! LOL

cheers,
Paul

chronozphere
13-04-2010, 01:22 PM
That looks super cool. :)

Seems like he made some kind of scripting tool because I see a tokenizer source-file.
Converting it to pascal seems doable, but still, don't underestimate it. ;)
It might be easier to just study the files and program your own similar particle engine.

Anyways, I'd be interested in getting this working in Delphi/FPC.

NecroDOME
13-04-2010, 01:44 PM
Looks like a more advanced version of my particle engine (script). However I do not use a script, I simply use a configuration file. This file describes the parameters used to spawn, move (transform) and display the particles over time.

de_jean_7777
13-04-2010, 01:56 PM
That's quite impressive. I wish I had something like that in my engine (perhaps one day :D). Well, this might be a bit too much for me, so I'll try starting off with something simple, but will definitely strive to achieve this kind of awesomeness. As well as NecroDOME, I also thought about using config files, but I guess they can only take you so far.

@Paul. In case you do get this to FPC, I hope you'll show it to us.

NecroDOME
13-04-2010, 02:12 PM
Actually it's not that difficult. If you have a particle engine in place you would have some parameters you can tweak, just grab these from a file and your done.
The screen shots just have nice textures which is the 2nd most imported thing about a particle engine.

Mirage
14-04-2010, 06:21 PM
Actually, there already is a particle system with editor, sources (on pascal). Which seems faster and more flexible. But who cares?
This one has much nicer textures!
So let's do Pascal headers for this!

chronozphere
14-04-2010, 10:07 PM
Actually, there already is a particle system with editor, sources (on pascal). Which seems faster and more flexible. But who cares?
This one has much nicer textures!
So let's do Pascal headers for this!

Ok, I get your point. Can you tell us which particle engine you're talking about exactly? :)

NecroDOME
15-04-2010, 07:06 AM
Just nicer textures so just make pascal headers for it? That doesn't make sense... Every particle engine looks nice if you use the correct textures.

chronozphere
15-04-2010, 01:14 PM
Just nicer textures so just make pascal headers for it? That doesn't make sense... Every particle engine looks nice if you use the correct textures.

I know, but I smell some sarcasm in Mirage's post, So I'd like to know which engine he's referring to?

virtual
15-04-2010, 08:17 PM
looks good
my prefered particle system is that in Tomb Raider series , especially Tomb Raider Anniversary ( fire and water ) look real

NecroDOME
16-04-2010, 07:15 AM
In that case I prefer fluid dynamics for fire and water :).