View Full Version : Browser favorites doesn't do anymore

arthurprs
26-04-2010, 12:27 AM
Do you guys use any kind of

personal wiki
dropbox
google docs
or something similar

to store articles, docs, files, favorites, etc..?

I'm thinking on deploying a personal wiki, but i simply can't find the right script, every php wiki-like script is bloated >:(

paul_nicholls
26-04-2010, 01:12 AM

personal wiki
dropbox
google docs
or something similar

I'm thinking on deploying a personal wiki, but i simply can't find the right script, every php wiki-like script is bloated >:(

I've never done a wiki, but I DO use google docs, and dropbox (https://www.dropbox.com/referrals/NTE4MDU5MzI5)

I recommend both for sharing ideas, files, etc :)

cheers,
Paul

AthenaOfDelphi
26-04-2010, 07:30 AM

personal wiki
dropbox
google docs
or something similar

Define bloated... DokuWiki is what I generally use for wikis (http://wiki.pgdannual.com/doku.php - Thats skinned up to look like MediaWiki and has some nice plugins). It's fairly lightweight, with the download being 2.4MB (unpacked 8.59MB). It doesn't need a database as it uses files for it's storage. As I say, there are a wealth of plugins for it too allowing you to customise it to your needs.

If you want something a bit flashier, then WordPress is an option as thats only about 8MB unpacked, and the new WordPress 3 default theme looks nice too so you could just setup and run with it for a while.

It all depends what you want to do and what you class as bloaty. Personally, I don't think DokuWiki or WordPress are bloaty. They are certainly not as big as some of the other options but they do work well.

Brainer
26-04-2010, 02:18 PM
For storing files, I'd suggest the Microsoft's service SkyDrive. :) 25 GB for free, 50 MB/file limit.

arthurprs
26-04-2010, 08:13 PM
Define bloated... DokuWiki is what I generally use for wikis (http://wiki.pgdannual.com/doku.php - Thats skinned up to look like MediaWiki and has some nice plugins). It's fairly lightweight, with the download being 2.4MB (unpacked 8.59MB). It doesn't need a database as it uses files for it's storage. As I say, there are a wealth of plugins for it too allowing you to customise it to your needs.

If you want something a bit flashier, then WordPress is an option as thats only about 8MB unpacked, and the new WordPress 3 default theme looks nice too so you could just setup and run with it for a while.

It all depends what you want to do and what you class as bloaty. Personally, I don't think DokuWiki or WordPress are bloaty. They are certainly not as big as some of the other options but they do work well.

I already tried Doku, it's a great wiki, but it's definitely bloated for this kind of usage, i'm looking for something simple :no: , but no luck so far

paul_nicholls
26-04-2010, 08:39 PM
For storing files, I'd suggest the Microsoft's service SkyDrive. :) 25 GB for free, 50 MB/file limit.

hmm...interesting!

cheers,
Paul