PDA

View Full Version : My first Pyrogine game - "The Probe"

paul_nicholls
12-05-2010, 09:41 AM
Hi all,
you might have seen some posts of mine (mainly in the Pyrogine threads) about a boulder-dash like game I'm trying to make using Jarrod Davis' great "Pyrogine Engine" (http://www.pyrogine.com/).

Well, I have been re-working it, and adding new ideas to it :)

Here are the ideas so far:

Game Description
“The Probe” is a boulder-dash like game with two objectives.

Objective 1: First, like most bounder-dash like games, you have to collect the number of gems required each level while avoiding enemies, traps, and other nasties.

Objective 2: After collecting the required number of gems, the Teleporter Laser System, or TLS will power up. The TLS will fire a laser beam from its emitter in a straight line. You have to unblock its path, and deflect the beam using beam deflectors so it hits, and charges up the TLS receiver. When the TLS receiver has been charged up, the player is teleported out of the level, thus completing it.

How does this game-play sound, ok? I believe it is at least unique - hopefully it will be interesting and fun :)

There are going to be things in it like brick walls, energy walls, ice walls, and titanium walls (indestructible), moving enemies (similar to fire-flies and butterflies), gun-turrets, acid (dissolves rocks/gems/dirt).

cheers,
Paul

Traveler
12-05-2010, 10:52 AM
That sounds pretty good!
Quite some years ago there was a game called Dweep. It used to be (or perhaps it still is pretty) popular. It featured similar mechanisms such as the deflecting laser beam you're describing, in order for the player to reach it's goal. There's probably a demo around for you to try, so there may be other things for you to get inspiration from.

paul_nicholls
12-05-2010, 11:21 AM
That sounds pretty good!
Quite some years ago there was a game called Dweep. It used to be (or perhaps it still is pretty) popular. It featured similar mechanisms such as the deflecting laser beam you're describing, in order for the player to reach it's goal. There's probably a demo around for you to try, so there may be other things for you to get inspiration from.

Thanks for the kind words :)

Hey, I haven't heard of that game before, I will have to google it...cheers!

Paul

Pyrogine
12-05-2010, 02:04 PM
Good work my friend. I read the design treatment you sent me, all seems solid. Keep going. And always, if there is anything you need, let me know. I'm currently working our game too and actively enhancing PGE as I go along.

If it works out, the next build will assist in doing texture mapped lighting effects. I'm updating the rsColorLightMap render state to dynamically lighten a texture which I want to use for the lightning effects for the background nebula in the game.

Code on.

paul_nicholls
13-05-2010, 01:09 AM
Hey all,
I have now come up with a background story for "The Probe", I hope you like it :)

Background Story
You have been exploring an alien planet using a remote controlled robot probe, and while doing so, discovered some interesting looking underground caverns.
To access the caverns, you got the probe to teleport inside using its own teleportation system as there was no visible means of access.

Unfortunately, while exploring the caverns, there was an energy surge from an unknown source which caused the probe’s teleport unit to explode into many pieces which become scattered around the caverns.

Can you successfully control the probe to collect the teleporter power crystals, power up the teleporter, and escape the caverns?

cheers,
Paul

Pyrogine
13-05-2010, 12:00 PM
Sounds good man. Can't wait to see it in action.

paul_nicholls
25-05-2010, 02:34 AM
I have now updated my general blog page

http://www.paulsbitsandbytes.blogspot.com

with an updated version of the background story for "The Probe" (includes a new, major objective in the game).

I think it will add more interesting game-play ;)

cheers,
Paul

paul_nicholls
28-05-2010, 01:51 AM
Neat! I just found this game today that uses lasers, mirrors, prisms, etc. in its game play:

http://www.cocos2d-iphone.org/forum/topic/3987

This should give me some great ideas for my laser beam part of "The Probe" ;)

cheers,
Paul

Pyrogine
28-05-2010, 05:17 PM
Good stuff. Thanks.

paul_nicholls
08-06-2010, 11:58 PM
I have now gotten my laser beam & deflectors system working, yay!

http://img256.imageshack.us/img256/43/screenshotbv.th.png (http://img256.imageshack.us/i/screenshotbv.png/)

cheers,
Paul

paul_nicholls
10-06-2010, 10:10 AM
I have now started on an editor for "The Probe" as it is getting waaaayyy too hard to make levels using ASCII characters in a stringlist!! haha :)

http://img408.imageshack.us/img408/3892/editorscreenshot.th.png (http://img408.imageshack.us/i/editorscreenshot.png/)

It will also help me test the game more easily too ;)

cheers,
Paul

Pyrogine
10-06-2010, 06:03 PM
Good stuff man.

code_glitch
11-06-2010, 09:52 PM
looks good. i must say that is one different idea for a game, but thats why i think it might just catch on and could become popular...

just one question I have which i dont think is worth starting a new thread for:
what did you use to make the 'level / 'map' editor? is it lazarus? if so, could you please suggest a good tutorial?

cheers,
code_glitch

paul_nicholls
11-06-2010, 10:42 PM
looks good. i must say that is one different idea for a game, but thats why i think it might just catch on and could become popular...

just one question I have which i dont think is worth starting a new thread for:
what did you use to make the 'level / 'map' editor? is it lazarus? if so, could you please suggest a good tutorial?

cheers,
code_glitch

Thanks for your interest code_glitch :)

I am using Delphi 6 at the moment to make the editor. I could have used Lazarus, but I know the Delphi IDE better to be honest...

I'm afraid I don't have any tutorials for you that I can suggest either :(

cheers,
Paul

code_glitch
12-06-2010, 11:51 AM
thats ok, i dont really ever expect anyone to help me, but i just like to support the efforts of any pascal programmer...

apart from that, im not too good with tutorials, but i will keep on digging.

thanks for the reply,
code_glitch

farcodev
15-06-2010, 11:26 PM
cool work and idea !

paul_nicholls
16-06-2010, 04:04 AM

cheers,
Paul

paul_nicholls
18-06-2010, 02:19 AM
Well, I have now gotten my game editor up and running at a minimum...you can now open/save/edit levels for "The Probe", including single tiles, or pre-defined "tile brushes" I define in the program so you can place a block of multiple tiles all at once. This is great for graphics that are made up of more than one tile :)

The collision in the game doesn't work yet, and there are some issues with the draw order of tiles ATM (needs fixing), but you can use the editor to make levels, save them as "TheProbe.lvl" into the same folder as the game, and run the game. It will then load the level so you can see it and move around it (ignoring no collision stuff yet).

If you want to play with the editor and see the graphics in the game at this stage, here is the link (2.11Mb 7-zip file):

http://fpc4gp2x.eonclash.com/downloads/The_Probe.7z

Editor Instruction:

To totally clear a level just hit the "resize level" button.
To change the level size, select with width and height, and then resize it.

Left click (or drag) will draw the currently selected tile or brush into the level.
Right click (or drag) will fill the level with spaces.

Some tiles are rotatable, like the TLS emitter/deflector/receiver, enemies, and travellator so when those tiles are selected, you can press the left/right key to rotate anti-clockwise/clockwise respectively prior to placing the tile.

To select a tile, just click on it, or press the hot-key indicated next to the graphic.
To select a brush, just click on it.

To save a level (needs one (1) probe in it), select the menu option, or hit CTRL+s.
To open a level, use the menu or hit CTRL+o.

Let me know what you think :)

cheers,
Paul

Traveler
18-06-2010, 10:20 AM
Hey Paul

It's looks & works pretty good already! I tried the game for a minute, but it didn't appear to do much yet. I assume it's only to test the editor and it's levels.

About the editor, I've made a couple myself and something that I've learned along the way is that you can get carried away with it real fast. It's a bit of an open door, but you should carefully consider the purpose of each new feature you're adding to it. Is it just icing on the cake or a necessity? Another thing is, are you building this editor for yourself to make your live easier or for other people so they can create levels, too?

With Village Defense, an older, now abandoned project of mine, I spent many evenings creating fancy interfaces for an ingame editor. At one point the editor even had become more advanced than the game itself. Its not a total loss, but looking back VD could have been more if I hadn't been working on the editor so often. Anyway, the point I want to make is, give your game priority over everything. I understand the need for an editor, but be sure it stays Paint rather than Photoshop. If you can work with it, that is really all that matters. If at the end your game becomes popular you can still extend on it.

paul_nicholls
18-06-2010, 10:56 AM
Hey Paul

It's looks & works pretty good already! I tried the game for a minute, but it didn't appear to do much yet. I assume it's only to test the editor and it's levels.

Yeah, it is mainly to test the editor ATM, but I have now fixed my tile layer drawing issues AND my laser system beam bouncing around using deflectors too in the game itself :)

I really needed a way of creating levels to more quickly test ideas and functionality in the game, and the editor does this nicely right now already ;)

The only thing I need to add is ]About the editor, I've made a couple myself and something that I've learned along the way is that you can get carried away with it real fast. It's a bit of an open door, but you should carefully consider the purpose of each new feature you're adding to it. Is it just icing on the cake or a necessity? Another thing is, are you building this editor for yourself to make your live easier or for other people so they can create levels, too?[/quote]

Well, it was initially for me only as it really sucked (and nigh-impossible) to create levels using ASCII characters, but I decided in the end that it would be very handy, and probably create a 'community' for 'The Probe' if users can create and submit levels too :)

With Village Defense, an older, now abandoned project of mine, I spent many evenings creating fancy interfaces for an ingame editor. At one point the editor even had become more advanced than the game itself. Its not a total loss, but looking back VD could have been more if I hadn't been working on the editor so often. Anyway, the point I want to make is, give your game priority over everything. I understand the need for an editor, but be sure it stays Paint rather than Photoshop. If you can work with it, that is really all that matters. If at the end your game becomes popular you can still extend on it.

How true! Feature creep in an editor can really suck time from the main game, and as you say, it is easy to get carried away :)

Thanks so much for your feedback, and good luck with your unknown project chief :)

cheers,
Paul

paul_nicholls
18-06-2010, 11:09 AM
Here are some screenshots of the latest version:

Here is a shot of the editor at work:
http://img101.imageshack.us/img101/3892/editorscreenshot.th.png (http://img101.imageshack.us/i/editorscreenshot.png/)

And a shot of the same level in-game - the beam is melting the ice :)
http://img529.imageshack.us/img529/1905/screenshotvq.th.png (http://img529.imageshack.us/i/screenshotvq.png/)

cheers,
Paul

farcodev
21-06-2010, 12:11 AM
it's too easy to be carried away, i learnt that w/ 2 fails of FAR Colony :(

But your editor seems to ooperate well, keep it up ! ;)

paul_nicholls
21-06-2010, 01:02 AM
it's too easy to be carried away, i learnt that w/ 2 fails of FAR Colony :(

But your editor seems to ooperate well, keep it up ! ;)

I have now gotten links into the editor so now all I have to do is get the basics working in the game itself now LOL

You can link warps (vortices) and teleporters to be one way, or bi-directional if you wanted ;)

cheers,
Paul

paul_nicholls
21-06-2010, 01:59 AM
I have now updated my general blog with the latest screenshots of a level in the editor (including the new links addition), and in-game.

There is now a HUD including the number of lives, crystals left to collect, the score, and the elapsed time in the level :)

http://paulsbitsandbytes.blogspot.com/2010/06/i-have-now-gotten-simple-level-editor.html

cheers,
Paul

paul_nicholls
22-06-2010, 01:23 AM
Well, after some extensive re-factoring of the base classes with regards to moving, I can now move the player character (the probe) around the level and not go through solid objects...yay!

To test pushing objects, I have now added code that allows rocks to be pushed around if there is a space on the otherside in the same direction :)

As they don't fall yet (no gravity), I have now created a Sokoban game! haha LOL

Now onto the other features, gravity to name one... ;)

cheers,
Paul

paul_nicholls
22-06-2010, 11:09 PM
Ok, after some more additions last night, I now have a basically playable level...yay!! :)

Rocks can be pushed and will fall (won't stack boulder-dash style yet though).

No collisions will happen with rocks and the probe when the rocks are falling yet, but warps for objects like rocks work nicely, and so do the teleporters for the player character :)

Switches don't work yet either, but you can collect crystals to activate the TLS beam which you then have to unblock.

Here is a screenshot of a test level:
http://img683.imageshack.us/img683/3822/screenshot2kr.th.png (http://img683.imageshack.us/i/screenshot2kr.png/)

And a video below of me completing the same test level:
http://fpc4gp2x.eonclash.com/videos/TheProbe/TheProbe.html

If the above video is too slow for you online, you can download the video (525KB 7-zip file, AVI format) here:
http://fpc4gp2x.eonclash.com/videos/TheProbe/TheProbe.7z

cheers,
Paul

paul_nicholls
23-06-2010, 03:54 AM
I have now gotten the rocks/crystals to fall, roll, and stack almost the same as boulder-dash again, so yeah! :)

Also, rocks/crystals now collide with the player too (but not kill the player yet), and stop or roll off depending on the situation...

cheers,
Paul

paul_nicholls
24-06-2010, 03:00 AM
If anyone wants to try the game so far (includes collisions, working warps, teleporters, switches, and the TLS [Teleporter Laser System]), you can download it here (1.98Mb 7-zip file, includes a single test level as proof-of-concept):

Controls:
w = move up
x = move down
a = move left
d = move right
Escape = exits game

Near the top-left teleporter (starts off disabled), you will find a switch that you can push to toggle on/off. When on, the aforementioned teleporter will be activated as it is linked to the switch.

There is a console (with flashing ?) on the left wall (not implemented yet), which will be used to give the player help/hints about the current level.

Once activated, you can use the teleporter to teleport to the central part, collect the crystals, and come back again.

Then just move that single boulder lying down in the lower left so it is out of the way of the yellow beam that is trying to charging up the TLS receiver (hint, push it into a warp)

After 5 seconds of accumulated charging, the TLS receiver will activate, and the level will complete.

The falling boulders don't kill the player yet, but will later on just like regular boulder-dash games ;)

Enjoy, and feedback would be appreciated :D

cheers,
Paul

de_jean_7777
24-06-2010, 12:12 PM
I tried the game. Seems nice.

I think I noticed a bug, but am not sure if it is. The single boulder on the lower left, which is supposed to be pushed into the warp, can naturally be pushed in the other direction, into the warp on it's right side. However, if the boulder is pushed right before another boulder goes into the warp, this boulder will hit the single boulder, stop, but the single boulder will go into the warp. The falling boulder will just stop there. Then the single boulder will come from the top warp, fall down and hit the stopped boulder, and "park" on it's left side.

I might be wrong, but should not the boulders, if not obstructed, simply continue falling down. There is nothing obstructing the boulder to fall into the warp, yet it stays in the place. I know it was temporarily stopped by the single boulder, but after the single boulder falls into warp, should not the stopped boulder simply continue falling again? Because as I can see, after hitting the probe the boulders will stop, and continue falling after the probe is not blocking them. Should not this happen with other boulders?

paul_nicholls
24-06-2010, 10:49 PM
I tried the game. Seems nice.

I think I noticed a bug, but am not sure if it is. The single boulder on the lower left, which is supposed to be pushed into the warp, can naturally be pushed in the other direction, into the warp on it's right side. However, if the boulder is pushed right before another boulder goes into the warp, this boulder will hit the single boulder, stop, but the single boulder will go into the warp. The falling boulder will just stop there. Then the single boulder will come from the top warp, fall down and hit the stopped boulder, and "park" on it's left side.

I might be wrong, but should not the boulders, if not obstructed, simply continue falling down. There is nothing obstructing the boulder to fall into the warp, yet it stays in the place. I know it was temporarily stopped by the single boulder, but after the single boulder falls into warp, should not the stopped boulder simply continue falling again? Because as I can see, after hitting the probe the boulders will stop, and continue falling after the probe is not blocking them. Should not this happen with other boulders?

Thanks for the test de_jean_7777, and the bug report :)
You are correct, the rocks should continue falling down if nothing is under them - I will see if I can reproduce this...

cheers,
Paul

paul_nicholls
24-06-2010, 10:59 PM
Ok, after a bit of trying, I managed to reproduce that bug - now "all I have to do is fix it" (tm)! LOL

Thanks again :)

cheers,
Paul

Traveler
25-06-2010, 11:36 AM
hehe, nice find de_jean_7777! I gave the Probe a try as well and noticed two (well actually three) additional bugs.

I have attached a picture
http://www.gameprogrammer.net/pics/outside/theprobbug.jpg

As you can see, there is one boulder less than when I started. Here's how I came to that.
I push the stationary boulder in the right warp hole. After this, not only am I able to move through that boulder when it passes me, I can also push it inside other boulders when they pass by. With some trickery, I'm able to have two stationary boulders on top of eachother using de_jean_7777's bug.

The second bug occurs when you push a stationary boulder (which happens after de_jean_7777 bug) above the fourth warphole. When another boulder collides it will drop to the left and remove that section of the wall. (I assume this bug wont occur once you solve the other bug, but still, I believe you should at least investigate why this is possible. )

On a different note, I was able to complete the level just fine, so good job on your first level :)

paul_nicholls
25-06-2010, 12:40 PM
Thanks for the bug report Traveler, much appreciated :)

I will investigate and see if I can fix this too (I will have to re-write some of the moving code I think)

cheers,
Paul

WILL
27-06-2010, 04:02 AM
Lovin' the screenies man. Nice graphics for a casual/puzzle game. And you've got a good development rhythm going too. So hard for me to work so hard and fast at any one thing myself anymore. :p

So when could you predict a polished demo/beta for general consumption?

paul_nicholls
27-06-2010, 04:23 AM
Lovin' the screenies man. Nice graphics for a casual/puzzle game. And you've got a good development rhythm going too. So hard for me to work so hard and fast at any one thing myself anymore. :p

Thanks for the kind words WILL :)

So when could you predict a polished demo/beta for general consumption?

Not sure, I need to re-do the movement code for the non-player objects (rocks/gems, etc.) to fix the bugs first ;)

I am also juggling other projects too - DeleD coding, and table-top model painting for Warhammer 40K (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warhammer_40,000) as I am entering a tournament on July 17-18th.

Below you can see one of my models I have assembled, and painted for my Tyranid 40K army. It is a Tyranid Harpy that I converted from another couple of models (no model has been officially released yet) for my army.

http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showpost.php?p=80150&postcount=13

My army list is due to be handed in by the end of June :)

cheers,
Paul

paul_nicholls
14-07-2010, 05:00 AM
I have uploaded a newer version of "The Probe" which now has a Nebula in the background which occasionally flashes thanks to Jarrod's Pryogine improvements :)

http://img571.imageshack.us/img571/6060/nebulax.th.png (http://img571.imageshack.us/i/nebulax.png/)

I am working on the collision bugs still, but I think most of them are out ATM (touch-wood! LOL)

(2.44Mb 7-zip file)

EDIT: in this level, you have to push around the deflectors to make them line up so the emitter can hit the receiver to finish the level (hint: do this first prior to collecting the crystals, it is easy to stuff up if the rocks are falling)

EDIT2: to recap, you move using 'a', 'd', 'w', 'x', and Escape quits the game :)

cheers,
Paul

farcodev
15-07-2010, 12:22 AM
your work is really neat paul, i downloaded it and i'll test it this weekend (my week free time is taken by my dev)

Happy to see active dev on Delphi that aren't ported to c#

Keep it up ! ;)

paul_nicholls
15-07-2010, 12:28 AM
your work is really neat paul, i downloaded it and i'll test it this weekend (my week free time is taken by my dev)

Happy to see active dev on Delphi that aren't ported to c#

Keep it up ! ;)

Thanks mate! :)

c#? yuck! LOL Give me pascal any day :)

cheers,
Paul

paul_nicholls
15-07-2010, 04:55 AM
Here is the latest screenshot of "The Probe", which now includes some particle effects:

http://img715.imageshack.us/img715/5196/screenshotevz.th.png (http://img715.imageshack.us/i/screenshotevz.png/)

cheers,
Paul

paul_nicholls
28-07-2010, 04:49 AM
I have now gotten up and running (Thanks so much Jarrod Davis!!) a site dedicated to "The Probe".

http://theprobe.hadronhosting.com/

I just have to add some content (only have some screenshots so far) LOL

cheers,
Paul

Traveler
28-07-2010, 08:58 AM
Nice! But yeah, get some content on it ;)

paul_nicholls
29-07-2010, 02:43 AM
Well I have updated my "The Probe" site a bit

http://theprobe.hadronhosting.com/

It now has a new graphic that I am rather pleased with at the top, and a forum, but no downloads as of yet LOL

It is a start at least :D

cheers,
Paul

paul_nicholls
29-07-2010, 03:14 AM
Ok, I have at least uploaded the current 'test' version to the site :)

EDIT:
It is the same one you have probably already downloaded though, except a crash when enter is pressed (to reset the level) has been fixed :)

It also has some particle effects and sounds now too ;)

cheers,
Paul

code_glitch
30-08-2010, 04:53 PM
Will the source code be available? I would be very much interested at looking at the graphic and audio code.

Cheers,
code_glitch

paul_nicholls
30-08-2010, 08:41 PM
Will the source code be available? I would be very much interested at looking at the graphic and audio code.

Cheers,
code_glitch

HI code_glitch,
I wasn't planning on releasing the source code - if I complete it, and people like it enough I thought I might try selling it for a small amount of money ;)

I COULD release some code snippits though, including how I generated some of the audio :)

cheers,
Paul

code_glitch
31-08-2010, 09:05 PM
Oh, right I see. If thats the situation, I wont ask then. I wasnt aware it was potentially for retail. Thanks for the reply anyway

Nice game so far, very playable.

Cheers,
code_glitch

edit:
WOOO! Just realized that this is the 50001 post!!!! :D :D :D :D

paul_nicholls
31-08-2010, 10:23 PM
Oh, right I see. If thats the situation, I wont ask then. I wasnt aware it was potentially for retail. Thanks for the reply anyway

Nice game so far, very playable.

Cheers,
code_glitch

edit:
WOOO! Just realized that this is the 50001 post!!!! :D :D :D :D

No need to apologize mate, you didn't know, and it doesn't hurt to ask anyway :)

I will share some of the code in the game though as I said in my previous post :)

The 50001 post? yay!

So where is that statistic found?

cheers,
Paul

code_glitch
31-08-2010, 10:35 PM
the stat is just below the search box on the PGD navigation banner at the top. Now it reads 50004 posts in 5860 topic- by 2103 members and etc. :)

paul_nicholls
31-08-2010, 11:13 PM
the stat is just below the search box on the PGD navigation banner at the top. Now it reads 50004 posts in 5860 topic- by 2103 members and etc. :)

Nope, make that 50006 posts! hahaha ;)

cheers,
Paul

paul_nicholls
08-09-2010, 03:09 AM
Hey all,
as I converted my game The Probe from Pyrogine to Hadron Game Engine a couple of weeks ago, I will create another thread about my game :)

Please go here now for updates:

http://www.pascalgamedevelopment.com/forum/index.php?topic=6429.0

cheers,
Paul