PDA

View Full Version : What do you enjoy MOST about community websites?

WILL
21-05-2010, 04:54 AM
Hey guys just wanted to see what you all thought about game development websites and what you like most about them. Who knows this information might help us tailor PGD a little more to your needs in the future.

You can change your votes as you might suddenly change your mind after voting for the first time. I figured it would be safer this way. ;)

dazappa
21-05-2010, 06:14 AM
I could have picked a lot more than 3 for community websites. Community websites are all about the community, whether that be discussing emergent technologies with others, people's projects, questions, etc.

If you really want to capture more public eye in PGD, I think you should adopt a blogging system like many popular sites. Your current front page news is very insufficient. Having a blog-like system (where I'd recommend keeping it to just editors) allows for easy content addition, so hopefully we'll have site updates more than once in a few years ;). I love reading about the latest advancements in technology and project highlights from people -- this is one of the main things that keeps me coming back to other game-related sites.

chronozphere
21-05-2010, 07:23 AM
I think PGD has the most important website-features to be a cool community. Anyway, here's a few things that could be improved:

> I think the library is a often-forgotten piece of the website. Only a few people maintain it, and most of it's pages are made a long time ago. It would be interesting if everyone could add pages about their games, libraries, tutorials, events, snippets etc.
On the other hand, if everyone's going to post their stuff in the library, there wouldn't be need for Pascal Gamer Magazine. We have to think about how these two should fit together.
> Content-uploading. At the moment, everyone of us must upload screenshots and project files elsewhere. Also, the post-attachments seem to be broken. It would be great if every user could have a couple of megs on the server to upload his screenshots etc. :)

And ofcourse, a nice new look of the website is always welcome. ;)

dazappa
21-05-2010, 11:00 AM
I certainly don't think attachments are necessary. They'll waste a huge amount of bandwidth. At most, maybe a built-in system for uploading and displaying screenshots could be added.

Ñuño Martínez
21-05-2010, 12:14 PM
Hard to selecto only 3. Almost all them are useful and desirable.

> I think the library is a often-forgotten piece of the website. Only a few people maintain it, and most of it's pages are made a long time ago. It would be interesting if everyone could add pages about their games, libraries, tutorials, events, snippets etc.
On the other hand, if everyone's going to post their stuff in the library, there wouldn't be need for Pascal Gamer Magazine. We have to think about how these two should fit together.

Yes, you're right. Right now I don't know if I can modify the library. It says the last release of Allegro.pas is 4.3.0 Alpha (5 April, 2009) but the latest one is 4.4.1 (few weeks ago).

> Content-uploading. At the moment, everyone of us must upload screenshots and project files elsewhere. Also, the post-attachments seem to be broken. It would be great if every user could have a couple of megs on the server to upload his screenshots etc. :)

A problem: how much space has the server?

Reiter
22-05-2010, 08:26 AM
Well, i think the poll is not representative at all. It is no surprise to me that exactly the first 3 choices have the most hits.

For me it was like this: Answer 1), yes that fits *click*, answer 2), yes that fits as well *click*, and answer 3), great, even that is true *click*... well answer 4), yes also this is true, oh but I only have three clicks... ok answer 5), yes this fits also, ob but I only have three clicks... and so on

I think most of the aspects given in the poll mix up for most people to participate in this community. However, I just participate here in an irregular manner, most due to private reasons and because the content on the website as well as in the forum is not updating on a daily basis. Well, or it is but I'm not interested in EVERY new topic. After some weeks usually there are some new topics or replies to old topics which are interesting me. And it doesn't matter if the new topic is related actually to a new game, game concept, library, tutorial, solution to a specific problem, and so on, as long as it is interesting to me :).

What annoys me most of the community has nothing to do with the community itself but with the inability to change the login password to my needs, saying "Your password must contain a mix of upper and lower case letters, as well as digits.." - Instead of this useless mix (no real improvement of security), I prefer to use some special characters in my passwords... However, this is a minor problem, but annoying anyway.

Well, my final conclusion is that for me, I enjoy MOST about this community any given description in the poll except from "Having all my community news located in one spot on one page and I can pick what I want to read". So, great job :)!

Stoney
22-05-2010, 12:22 PM
I chose three options but if there wasn't a limitation I would have picked all the options available.

Ingemar
23-05-2010, 01:38 PM
I chose three options but if there wasn't a limitation I would have picked all the options available.

I kind of agree. I also looked for a selection that stressed the social aspect, which can also be important.

I chose #3 like everybody else (and I think that is the strongest point), plus two much less popular (post about my own tools plus private messages). But many of the others matter too.

WILL
23-05-2010, 02:01 PM
Well the whole idea of the vote isn't really what you guys found to be more important, but rather what you personally liked most. And there are no wrong answers really, I just wanted to see what you all liked more. For me personally, I love seeing new game projects and tools, but I also really like to be able to ask all those technical questions and get help and answers back.

arthurprs
23-05-2010, 03:19 PM
ALL :)