PDA

View Full Version : PGD Annual 2010 Ideas Folks?

WILL
20-06-2010, 08:25 PM
I've had PGD Annual on the brain lately. Curious about when, curious about what and curious about all those lovely specifics.

Judging from your experiences in the past what kinds of constructive feedback can you give us in point-form?

Also what potential themes would you like to see for the next one? Keeping in mind we like to stick to gameplay themes meaning an aspect of gameplay or set of mechanics rather than a cosmetic theme.

So far we've had;

2005: PGD Dogfight Competition - One-on-one vehicle combat
2006: The Big Boss - Levels and boss fights
2007: Multiplexity - Mixing multiple game genre
2009: Arcadia - Arcade style gameplay

Whats in store for 201X?

All other comments and suggestions are welcome...

Brainer
20-06-2010, 08:43 PM
I'd love to see some scripted AI battle. Maybe the team should design a game and the others could write bots for the game?

paul_nicholls
20-06-2010, 11:22 PM
I'd love to see some scripted AI battle. Maybe the team should design a game and the others could write bots for the game?

Hey,
that would be great :)

I would also love a certain type of game type theme too - platform game, RTS, etc.

It would be interesting to see all the different types of platform games or similar that the contestants created :)

cheers,
Paul

GordonShumway
20-06-2010, 11:23 PM
Yes I agree a platform game or perhaps an action game would be great.

EDIT: (I would like to note a gameplay themed approach would certainly produce a lot of results from the fans of various genres.)

Chesso
21-06-2010, 01:18 AM
I would love to see a tower defense type theme.

I absolutely love the very few flash ones available that have a sort of
basic army theme, or even some of the more creative ones floating around.

To my knowledge there are very few full blown tower defense games around
and anyone who creates one in one of these contests could take it much further
and sure beats going back to platformers and the like that are good but so overdone.

That's what I would like to see anyway :p

GordonShumway
21-06-2010, 10:51 AM
I had an idea, what about a 'desktop' game? By which I mean a game that isn't necessarily supposed to run in a full screen mode. I seem to remember a few years ago a basketball hoop app that you could try to make baskets with, and a screen saver that turned the desktop into a sliding block puzzle you had to put back together. Or a 'screensaver' type theme. After all a lot of us spend 8+ hours staring at the desktop anyway why not make it fun and see what the community can do to spice it up PGD style?

DarkBow
21-06-2010, 11:51 AM
I know these are the most difficult to create from scratch, but I'd love to see some RPG and/or strategy games. :)

jdarling
21-06-2010, 12:45 PM
As strange as this is going to sound, I was watching cooking shows with my wife over the weekend and there was a "Dinner Impossible" on about "Divorce Court". This really got me thinking about gaming (or at least game development).

So, here are my ideas (recently inspired and old ideas);
You have to pick a game that is tied (generally) to a genera and make a game from it in a completely different genera. So, to keep the example simple, maybe you pick Tetris and build an RPG where you have to run around finding the pieces so you can play a game of Tetris in the end. Ok, that is a fairly lame example, but you get the idea.

Canned graphics; get a set of canned graphics and build a game around them. Lost Garden has put up LOTS of free graphics and held a few challenges like this, all have been fairly successful and it never ceases to amaze me how many categories people cover.

Procedural Generation; a majority of the game must be procedurally generated. Yeah... Didn't get much further than that with the idea.

Just a few concepts. Now lets see if we can get it started before everyone gets busy with life, school, whatever...

- Jeremy

chronozphere
21-06-2010, 03:38 PM
I see a lot of good ideas in this thread. :)

My vote would go to an idea that is simple and not time-consuming. People often failed to deliver the final game because they didn't have enough time. Our aim should be to get as many entrants as possible.
At the moment, I have many projects and I can only join if I aim low. If the theme allows me to get my game finished in two weekends, then I will definitely join.

Some ideas:

I like the idea of canned graphics. Just as random as possible. Prefferably with a lot of pictures of sheep. :D
A crazy shooter compo: Everyone should make a scrolling shooter and add weird enemies, obstacles and effects to it. The crazier the better. Could be combined with the canned graphics idea.
A scripted robot-war compo could be nice, but I think its still time-consuming to get the AI right.
A graphics contest: Who can make the prettiest particle effects with a delivered set of particle images.

Just some ideas. :)

Brainer
22-06-2010, 07:47 PM
A scripted robot-war compo could be nice, but I think its still time-consuming to get the AI right.

I can't agree, because it'd be the gamer's task to get the AI right, so it would all depend on the gamer whether the AI is right or not. We as programmers wouldn't have to worry about that. :)

chronozphere
22-06-2010, 08:37 PM
Hmm.. You're saying that we should develop robot-war frameworks, that can be played by other programmers? That sounds even more complex. :?

Brainer
22-06-2010, 08:45 PM
Why? Just develop some basic framework and allow the gamers to control their bots using built-in functions, like:

DistToTarget()
GetHPLevel()
GetStaminaLevel()
BuildPath(whereTo)

Rodrigo Robles
23-06-2010, 03:04 AM
I have two ideas:

Multiplaying : It offers great fun and can be applied to any kind of game like shooter, adventure, racing, platform, cards...

A.I. - Not only bot fighting, but have A.I. as theme, imagine all kind of game with strong A.I. It's really challenging and atractive.

chronozphere
23-06-2010, 08:03 AM
Why? Just develop some basic framework and allow the gamers to control their bots using built-in functions, like:

DistToTarget()
GetHPLevel()
GetStaminaLevel()
BuildPath(whereTo)

Well, yeah It could be possible. Everyone needs to familiarize himself with a scripting package like lua or the one from RemSoft. It also depends on how complex you make the game.

My biggest problem is that your target audience is very small. You can't easily play against friends and family unless you live in CodeVille. ;)

Ñuño Martínez
23-06-2010, 08:44 AM
As you know, I never finished any PGD because lack of time, so I'll go to the simplest:

"One-screen-only game". You know, as the good old times: Donkey Kong, Pac-Man, Mario Bros. (G&W), Alley Cat, ... It can be combined with the other ideas from this thread. ;D

Canned graphics; get a set of canned graphics and build a game around them. Lost Garden has put up LOTS of free graphics and held a few challenges like this, all have been fairly successful and it never ceases to amaze me how many categories people cover.

Procedural Generation; a majority of the game must be procedurally generated. Yeah... Didn't get much further than that with the idea.

I love these ideas too. :yes:

Canned graphics would save a lot of time as we don't need to draw/create/look for graphics. Add sound FX to the pack. ::)

Procedural Generation is also a great idea. I've seen some very nice prodedural-starships out there. Also sounds and maps. The last (procedural maps) would save time too as no map-editor is needed. ;)

chronozphere
23-06-2010, 11:34 AM
Indeed, I was thinking a bit more about the procedural compo idea. :)

There are several area's where procedural content can be used. Images, sounds, maybe 3d-models and maps. Bonus points can be given if the entry contains multiple procedural systems.

pstudio
23-06-2010, 06:07 PM
"One-screen-only game". You know, as the good old times: Donkey Kong, Pac-Man, Mario Bros. (G&W), Alley Cat, ... It can be combined with the other ideas from this thread. ;D

I like this one. It provides a limitation that will prevent allmost anyone from choosing a too big project but it still allows for some interesting games.

DarkBow
24-06-2010, 09:15 AM

I like this one. It provides a limitation that will prevent allmost anyone from choosing a too big project but it still allows for some interesting games.

I love this idea! :yes:

mikade
24-06-2010, 01:29 PM

I like this one :)
<resumes lurker status>
edit: Oh, first post here after being registered three years.
Hi, and all that. :P

GordonShumway
24-06-2010, 06:02 PM

<resumes lurker status>

:D At least you made your first post count LOL welcome to the world of voice :)

Ñuño Martínez
29-06-2010, 03:22 PM

<resumes lurker status>
:D Hi!

mikade
01-07-2010, 07:39 PM
I'm really happy this place is still so active. :)
Pascal is the only language I've ever loved.

Another random theme idea: Make a game that supports more than 1 player? (Dunno if this is too similar to the 2005 dogfight).

noeska
01-07-2010, 07:55 PM
Ideas:
- 64kb game (with fpc)
- take one game as starting point e.g. pong or snake ... (so we all make the same game)

ps i like the one screen game idea ( also dont allow srolling then :-) )

DarkBow
02-07-2010, 10:08 AM
Maybe it would be a good idea to start a poll on this subject putting as possibilities the ideas that have been written in this thread. :)