PDA

View Full Version : [SDL] X11 driver not configured with OpenGL

chronozphere
04-07-2010, 04:26 PM
Hey guys

I'm running into a really annoying problem. My engine, which is based on SDL does compile but SDL_SetVideoMode() fails with the error:

X11 driver not configured with OpenGL

I've tried a number of things to fix this:

> Reinstalled graphics drivers a couple of times (was quite a hastle)
> Rebuild SDL (./configure; make; sudo make install)
> Tested the SDL demo's in the "test" directory (not JEDI-SDL, the original one).
Things like: testalpha and testbitmap worked. However, testgl gave me the following message:

No OpenGL support on this system

glxinfo returns the following: http://pastebin.com/Wx7g7NQt

Can somebody help me? :(

Thanks in advance

User137
04-07-2010, 04:49 PM
You didn't mention your operating system and graphics card. If Linux, does it have all the latest updates? I had 1 card in the past that just wouldn't cooperate and put 3D working...

I assume other games don't have 3D working either (unless its in somekind of software emulation mode)?

chronozphere
04-07-2010, 05:53 PM
I'm running Ubuntu 9.10 and my GFX card is: Geforce 8600GT.

I know for sure that it worked in the past. I think a recent kernel update made things break. :(

Stoney
04-07-2010, 06:15 PM
Have you tried reinstalling your graphic card driver?

User137
04-07-2010, 10:01 PM
Ubuntu is now in version 10.04 LTS. I have also the same graphics card and it worked before and after update - for hardware accelerated 3D.

chronozphere
04-07-2010, 10:02 PM

Yes, it's mentioned in my startpost. ;)

I've managed to solve the issue by myself. :D

First of all, I discovered that uninstalling my "compiled" SDL versions (1.2 and 1.3) made some games (like extremetux-racer) work again. They would be using the SDL shared objects that were provided with ubuntu (in /usr/lib).

After some more searching, I found out that when running ./configure in my SDL1.2 directory, the following line would show up:

checking for OpenGL (GLX) support... no

So, I opened configure.in to see the reason. I found out that GL/glu.h could not be found.
Thanks to apt-file, I found out that the GL/glu.h was part of the libglu1-mesa-dev package, which I installed.
After running ./configure; make; sudo make install; openGL support was detected and everything WORKED again! :D

The issue was that the original error message pointed me in the wrong direction. It took me several hours before I started blaming my compiled SDL library. :P

Stoney
04-07-2010, 10:19 PM

Yes, it's mentioned in my startpost. ;)

Uh, sorry, I must have missed that. :)

I'm glad you got the issue fixed.

User137
05-07-2010, 01:18 PM
Do you really need to use apt-get, would SDL be easier to install with Synaptic?

chronozphere
05-07-2010, 01:26 PM
Hmmm.. well Synaptic can be used I guess.

For some reason however, my engine couldn't link against the SDL library located in /usr/lib. Also, I want to experiment with SDL1.3, which you have to download from the repository anyway. I ended up downloading the sources of both SDL1.2 and 1.3 and compiling them (dont forget to add /usr/local/lib to /etc/ld.so.conf so that the new shared objects can be found).

Most importantly, I learned how to compile and install things on linux which is a valuable skill:P