PDA

View Full Version : Development competitions; What time of year is best?

WILL
06-07-2010, 04:03 AM
Hey everyone,

I'm just curious what you all need for a start time for a new competition should we run another sometime in the near future. Please tell us as accurate as you can what the best start time for the next PGD Annual or any other competition would be for you.

JSoftware
06-07-2010, 06:05 AM
I voted november, but I think just about there could be a good time. It's just the middle of a typical university semester(except for you crazy germans apparently :P). That fits well since all the introductions might be over(drinking ;D) and the courses might be slowing down

chronozphere
06-07-2010, 09:08 AM
I've voted for November aswell because I have to finish my IGF game in August, September and October. Also, I do have some other projects running during that time. December (X-mas holidays) would also be nice. :)

Stoney
06-07-2010, 12:00 PM
I voted for September because the university hasn't started there yet. The semester usually starts in mid-October here in Germany and that should be more than enough free time for me to create a playable entry.

pstudio
06-07-2010, 04:29 PM
I'm not gonna bother myself voting because no matter what the date will be a bad time for someone. Recently there was a talk about letting the competion last for a year. I think that's a much more important point to be concerned about than when to start the competition. If a PGD annual lasts about a year (without the competition theme requiring you to work for a full year) then everyone can work on it when they feel they have the time.

GordonShumway
06-07-2010, 05:23 PM
I'm not gonna bother myself voting because no matter what the date will be a bad time for someone. Recently there was a talk about letting the competion last for a year. I think that's a much more important point to be concerned about than when to start the competition. If a PGD annual lasts about a year (without the competition theme requiring you to work for a full year) then everyone can work on it when they feel they have the time.

Agreed.

NecroDOME
06-07-2010, 08:32 PM
I voted September... but October/November would be better...

yassersoft
07-07-2010, 12:09 PM
Any month but August, I´m on vacations so no more working at my PC

mikade
07-07-2010, 03:43 PM

Agreed.

Hmm. I've never participated in any PGD competition, but I can see the logic behind this. On the other hand, I suppose I can also see the logic behind a fairly limited duration. Supposing the competition only lasts a week/end, yes, not everyone will have that weekend free, but at least everyone who chooses to participate will more or less have the same amount of time (and thus be on par). A competition stretched across an entire year is going to be naturally biased towards those who can and do spend THE WHOLE YEAR working on and polishing their games (versus those who can only take a little time here and there).

That said, what is the end goal of the PGD? ???

If it's to test rapid development skills, the ability to work under pressure, design and prototype experimental systems etc... then a short duration is preferable.

If it's "make the best game you can" duration shouldn't really be a factor. We all know that certain companies take yeeeeaaaaarrrrrssss to release their games, but that their games are generally quite good when they come out. Also, an ability to work fast doesn't necessarily equate to being a good game designer.

Wow, long-winded rambling of a post. ::)

At any rate, if it means I get the opportunity to see MORE (pascal) developers and MORE (pascal) games, I'm all for a longer duration. ;)

//lol, a final question: I notice the options in the poll run from Jan-Dec. We've already passed June. If the 'winning month' falls under July-Dec, does that indicate July-Dec of this year, or next?

WILL
20-08-2010, 06:53 PM
I'm going to bump this post to see if more people can't give an estimated time that would be best for them and to also get more clarification on what you all think is really the best time.

BTW: if you DON'T vote on the poll I'll only see that ie. November is the time to start and it may happen that way. I would like the most accurate answer to this poll/question as possible amoung all the members so that if the next committee starts up at a specific time, we get it right.

As for the goal of the PGD Annual, it's always been to have the community show off it's talent and be rewarded for it in a way that shows what comes out off to other people in and outside of the community. It's an inspirational event of sorts. Always was, hopefully it will always be. ;)