PDA

View Full Version : Ludum Dare 18

Stoney
12-08-2010, 11:49 AM
Just a friendly reminder: Next week-end, on August 20th to 22nd it's once more time for Ludum Dare (http://www.ludumdare.com/compo/). Last time we had three Pascal entries. I am quite sure we can beat that.

I'm looking forward to see a lot of FreePascal/Delphi entries.
(Unfortunately I am at gamescom in Cologne on that week-end, I will try to make a game there, which will be an additional challenge but my game probably won't be written in Pascal.)

jdarling
12-08-2010, 01:40 PM
Sounds like fun, and maybe, if I can convince the wife and kids, I can try this year :). Quick question (after reading the "new rules"): Does from scratch mean I can't use any code I have lying around? IE: Can I use the opengl stuff I've been working on and just build on top of it (I'd say its just above raw access) or do I have to do it all 100% from scratch again?

- Jeremy

Stoney
12-08-2010, 02:04 PM
Does from scratch mean I can't use any code I have lying around?

You can use any base code but you have to post a link to your base code on the LD site before the competition starts.

pjpdev
12-08-2010, 05:48 PM
Sweet stuff... Hopefully I won't go too big this time ::). Got myself in a serious twist with LD17. :(

Hope there will be more Pascal entries this time. C'mon peoples :D

dazappa
14-08-2010, 03:01 PM
Although I entered last time (and with a Pascal entry), I'm not sure if I'll enter this time. School's started, and developing a game from scratch in Pascal is a very time consuming process. If I can think of an extremely simple game to create based on the theme chosen, I'll spend one of two available days to make a game. But alas, not enough time in the world.

Stoney
15-08-2010, 02:44 PM
The new rules are online: http://www.ludumdare.com/compo/rules/
Basically, Ludum Dare splits itself up into two categories:

- Competition
Everything we knew and loved about Ludum Dare: You have 48h to create a game by yourself, everything from scratch* and you have to publish the source code afterwards.
*but you can use an engine or a framework or your own basecode

- Jam
This one is new. You have up to 72 hours to create a game, teams are allowed and you can use any assets you want. You don't have to publish the source code of your game.

Competition entries will be judged, jam entries won't. If you enter the jam you are allowed to judge competition entries.

paul_nicholls
21-08-2010, 10:35 AM
So I'm curious, has anyone here entered in this one yet?

I have sort of an idea but I am not sure if I am going to :)

If I was, I would use Jarrod's HGE though ;)

cheers,
Paul

Stoney
21-08-2010, 05:42 PM
I did enter, although I really don't have much or any time for that matter and I'm using a JavaScript framework instead of a Pascal one.

paul_nicholls
22-08-2010, 04:47 AM
I'm having bit of a go this time, but I'm only going to get a few hours to do it as I am too busy again :(

I am trying a game where you fly around in a small ship with enemies trying to blast you or similar.

The trick is, that you only have a weapon that can control some of the enemies for a short time, and not destroy them directly.

I am using a pixel ships applet (http://www.davebollinger.com/works/pixelspaceships) to generate some ships that I will then use in the game, and I will be using sfxr of course for audio :)

I am also using Jarrod's HGE (Hadron Game Engine) too...

cheers,
Paul

paul_nicholls
22-08-2010, 04:51 AM
Does from scratch mean I can't use any code I have lying around?

You can use any base code but you have to post a link to your base code on the LD site before the competition starts.

OH? drat! I didn't notice that small bit about having to post the base code online before the compo starts! :(

I guess this means my entry will be invalid (if I ever complete it anyway) :(

cheers,
Paul

Stoney
22-08-2010, 07:26 AM

Not necessarily, because HGE has been around before the competition started. The base code rule is for the case if you have custom code like your own engine, framework or game template. Pre-existing engines and middlewares are allowed.

paul_nicholls
22-08-2010, 11:04 AM

Not necessarily, because HGE has been around before the competition started. The base code rule is for the case if you have custom code like your own engine, framework or game template. Pre-existing engines and middlewares are allowed.

Ah! good point, thanks Stoney :)

BTW, my little game is called Remoted (due to the 'remote control' part LOL) ;)

cheers,
Paul

dazappa
22-08-2010, 04:20 PM
Yeah, I'm not entering either. There's 4 ludumdares per year, so I can usually end up doing at least one per year, but this is not the one.

WILL
22-08-2010, 04:49 PM
Enemies as Weapons is an interesting theme. Kinda reminds me of those few NES games where you had to jump on them and throw them or suck them up and spit them out.

paul_nicholls
22-08-2010, 10:58 PM
hmm...3 hours to go and I am now back at work on Monday morning.

I have diddly squat to show so I won't be putting in an entry :(

cheers,
Paul

chronozphere
23-08-2010, 07:29 AM
Oh.. If I had known this earlier, I'd have given this a shot too. Too bad, because I quite liked the theme.

Hope LD19 will be organized soon. :)

jdarling
23-08-2010, 06:05 PM
Wouldn't you know it, I got my weekends mixed up and was out at the MakerFaire instead of working on LD :(. Oh well, guess there is always the next go around, but I did have a plan this time.

- Jeremy

WILL
23-08-2010, 10:37 PM
Yeah it's a shame, if we had the new site software setup you guys probably could have announced it on the main page. Man, I miss news posts.

WILL
04-09-2010, 06:33 AM
So how did this one turn out? Any Pascal entries?