PDA

View Full Version : Whats everyone been up to this summer? (2010)

WILL
29-08-2010, 09:54 PM
Hey everyone. It's summer the warmer season of the year so it's likely that not everyone will be parked in front of their burning hot CPUs and other graphics processors slaving over their latest creation? :)

So what are you guys up to this summer? Anything fun? Exciting? ...Relaxing?

Talk to us, we're all friends here. ;)

Brainer
29-08-2010, 11:49 PM
Got myself another tattoo. :) I felt like digging into web development, but I got fed up with it, I didn't want to spend too much time in front of the screen while there's a sunny weather outside! :)

I neglected all my projects but I swear I'ma get back to work as soon as the summer break's over (two days left)... Expect some updates from me soon, everyone. :)

dazappa
30-08-2010, 12:27 AM
I spent most of my summer break fiddling around and playing games. I'm already back at school though, I've recently been fiddling around with finding a different cross platform OGL engine as a replacement for Andorra, as well as looking into implementing a* on a hex grid. Sound familiar? I'm looking to port my old LD project to a different engine (I can't be bothered to learn OGL myself), very preferably with something with pixel perfect collision detection built in. Andorra sadly seems to be unmaintained now, has a few annoying bugs, and its implementation for pixel perfect collisions is slower than I would like (although I don't have a very large basis for this).

It increasingly looks like I'm going to have to go elsewhere to develop games. I simply don't have the time or will to write my own engine, sadly. I was hanging on SDL 1.3 for a very long time (due to it having hardware acceleration and already being easy to access in pascal).

Also hoping for a new official release of Lazarus soon, and got re-addicted to Spore. My uni dynamically allocates/limits bandwidth based on type (web, FTP, video, gaming). As such, I can download files at 5M/s+, but I can't play a multiplayer game due to 2s+ lag, which broke my heart.

code_glitch
30-08-2010, 11:10 AM
Not much this holiday. Sitting in the sun, on the beach and a bit more code into my engine with plenty of associated bug fixing. With school looming though, might not get down to much for the rest of the year since its a new school year and there's plenty of work to do.

Anyway,the holidays produced 800lines of code, 44 bug fixes and 50 pages worth of reports from projects for school over the holidays. Overall, not too little got done. Not to mention the most work I had to put in: a bit of a suntan here and there.

chronozphere
31-08-2010, 11:56 AM
Despite the good weather, I've still spent quite some time behind my PC. I simply wasn't motivated to work on any pascal project.

Instead, I'm mainly messing around with Linux and doing web-development. I dove into the Kohana framework, which is awesome. Also, I've bought an new soundcard and I work together with the linux driver-developer, to sort out the last few issues and make it fully functional. :D

I'll eventually get back to my IGF project, but I needed a break to regain motivation. :)

Stoney
31-08-2010, 02:00 PM
I've been fiddling around with web development as well, especially with HTML5, the canvas element and Processing.js. I already ported about 60% of my game engine to JavaScript/Processing.js and got surprisingly good results.

I'ven been travelling more than usual this summer. This month I've been to Berlin for the BIGJAM (a get together for indie game developers) and Cologne for the gamescom.

Oh yeah, and I finished StarCraft 2 and just recently Mafia 2.

chronozphere
31-08-2010, 03:37 PM
I've been fiddling around with web development as well, especially with HTML5, the canvas element and Processing.js. I already ported about 60% of my game engine to JavaScript/Processing.js and got surprisingly good results.

That's awesome. :yes: I'd like to fiddle with Canvas too (probably combined with webGL). Please keep us posted with your progress. :)