PDA

View Full Version : Names please - Delphi Game Developer Community Site

BlueCat
04-08-2003, 04:10 PM
Assuming there's going to be a new site, use this thread to suggest names.

Please try to avoid using the words home, central, village, trout, stir and fry :?

WILL
04-08-2003, 04:19 PM
But, "Stir-Fry Delphi" is so catchy... ;)

WILL
04-08-2003, 04:24 PM
Also, is it possible to discuss who will be designing the new site and what existing code will be used if any?

BlueCat
04-08-2003, 04:34 PM
Also, is it possible to discuss who will be designing the new site and what existing code will be used if any?

Maybe start another thread for that one (as it's a very important point and will probably be another long thread :) ).

We're going to voting on several issues soon so I've just changed the permissions so that anyone (registered) can start a poll in this forum. You'll see the option when you post a new thread, or when you edit the first post in a thread. If I've done something wrong let me know.

:cat:

Eriken
04-08-2003, 04:41 PM
Probably an idea to figure out who'll be joining first I guess :-)
Like, first the Design Document, and then programming 8)

If I've done something wrong let me know.
And knowing you, we'll probably know that when everything changes colors to pink ;-)

I guess there can't be many options, since you want some key words like, Delphi, Game and Programming, oh what about "Delphi Game Programming" :twisted:

I wouldn't want to use a word like "Ultimate" either, it looks so wrong..
_____
Eriken

turbo
04-08-2003, 05:12 PM
I don't know if I agree that merging sites is the best way to go. I was thinking something more along the lines of setting up news posting accounts for DGDev'ers on turbo, and making DGDev the offical forums.

I'm certainly not up for (another) big development project :)

However, I don't want to keep anyone from making a new site, so if DGDev wants to make a news and links style site I will certainly link share and all that.

WILL
04-08-2003, 05:16 PM
Whatever the new name is going to be it should be 'Sleek' and easy to swallow. As funny as this may sound it could make or break the success. ie. who would want to buy a soda that was called "Flum"?

I'll re-post my suggestions(and a few extras):

:arrow: DelGameDev

:arrow: DelphiGameDev

:arrow: DelphiGameDeveloper

:arrow: DelphiGD

:arrow: DGD

:arrow: DelphiDev or DelphiDeveloper

BlueCat
04-08-2003, 06:29 PM
Actually Flum is a pretty cool name for a drink, makes me think of flavoured rum. Like Banana Flum .... or something :scratch: I'd buy it

I honestly can't think of any good names right now, I think turbo is a great name but I'm sure someone's already got that :roll:

This is really a job for Alimonster, there's always strange things lurking in the darkest recesses of his brain :) usually involving animals......

Traveler
04-08-2003, 07:52 PM
It should be something original and non-existant (domain or website title). Many of Will's suggestions are already taken by others, I'm afraid :(

A_ still favor DGDev. It's short, simple and already familiar.

WILL
05-08-2003, 02:25 AM
Traveler: Really? Which ones?

cairnswm
05-08-2003, 07:02 AM
:arrow: DelphiGames
:arrow: GamesInDelphi
:arrow: TheDelphiGameSite

Traveler
05-08-2003, 07:33 AM
WILL,

the following names are already in use
DelphiGameDev: ye olde delphi game developer, DelphiGameDev.com
DGD DGD Home Page www.dworkin.nl/dgd, DGD Home Page www.mars.org/home/rob/dgd.html
DelphiDev : until a couple months ago a Delphi webzine
DelphiDeveloper: the yahoo newsgroup

WILL
05-08-2003, 08:10 AM
Hmm... ok but they are still good names. ;)

LOL We could could always name it after an ancient form of pottery that was used in the early age of man(Funny only if you know the background story of why Borland named Kylix... Kylix :? ).

BlueCat
05-08-2003, 08:26 AM
I used a thesaurus for some ideas and got the following:

utopia
paradise
euphoria (Delphoria... see what I did there :P )
arcadia

But I also got ravishment, hog heaven, curtains and necrosis - so that wasn't the best way to find a name.

I think it wouldn't be a bad thing to keep DGDev but a new name would be nice.

What about... DelphiPlay?

Maja
05-08-2003, 10:22 AM
OPG ['AWP-GEE'] (Object Pascal Gaming)

you could use a hypen, OP-G.. i donno, g/l.

iLLUNis
05-08-2003, 10:30 AM
DelphiScape
Delgames
DGA (Delphi Gamers Association)
DGP (Delhi Games Portal -- Cliche)

hmmm...i cannot realy think af anything else at the moment....maybe SaucyDelphi?....:P....

lets see what else pops up...:)

Traveler
05-08-2003, 11:56 AM
Delphi GameDevelopers Network perhaps?

Ultra
05-08-2003, 05:31 PM
I think DGDev is a great name already. No reason changing a winning concept. :wink:

iLLUNis
05-08-2003, 06:10 PM
I think DGDev is a great name already. No reason changing a winning concept. :wink:

I could not agree more to that.... :P

BlueCat
07-08-2003, 09:13 AM
*bumpity bump*

We'll probably be making a short list of names at the meeting on Sunday. Then we can put up a vote for the best name :)

So let's have some more names please before it's too late :shock:

cairnswm
07-08-2003, 10:43 AM
:arrow: MyDelphi
:arrow: GarageDelphi
:arrow: InDelphy
:arrow: OpenDelphi
:arrow: DelphiGameCode
:arrow: DelphiForGamers

:idea: DGDev

07-08-2003, 10:53 AM
:arrow: DelphiDreamer
:arrow: Delphi's Eden
:arrow: Delphi Sweet Delphi (play on words with Home sweet Home as the site should be the home of all delphi gamers :P)

But I prefer DGDev lol :)

iLLUNis
07-08-2003, 10:55 AM
:arrow: DelphiExperience
:arrow: DelphiAddicts... :lol:
:arrow: Delphomatic....(reminds me of washine powder)
:arrow: DelphiInn
:arrow: DelphiHut
:arrow: DelphiLair
:arrow: Delphi Games Resort
:arrow: Delphi Games Depot
:arrow: The "DGDEV" Files
:arrow: Delphi Gamers Community
:arrow: DGDEV Extended
:salute: :toocool:

BlueCat
07-08-2003, 11:31 AM
I'll use lots of arrows :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: because everyone else is :)

:arrow: DGHQ(Delphi Gamers' Headquarters)
:arrow: DelphiAsylum :pirate:
:arrow: Go!Delphi
:arrow: GamesDotPas
:arrow: DelphiPlay
:arrow: WILLSWORLD (excellent :!: )

(I think DGDev will get a lot of votes :wink: )

cairnswm
07-08-2003, 12:23 PM
Only problem with :arrow: DGDev is that it is not immediatly clear that it is a Delphi site as Delphi is not visible in the name.

iLLUNis
07-08-2003, 12:27 PM
Only problem with :arrow: DGDev is that it is not immediatly clear that it is a Delphi site as Delphi is not visible in the name.

Although this being true, i think that people are already getting used to the DGDEV site. One way to avoid this potential problem though would be to write the whole name in the Logo and the abreviation under....
exactly the oposite that it is done in the forums........
i ll give it a try and see what i can i come up with.....:)

Eriken
07-08-2003, 12:28 PM
:arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: (I'm just following the trend) :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow:

Asylum would fit after that green man appeared everywhere, atleast he didn't show up in my dreams last night.

WILLSWORLD
Of course including section where you can ask WILL questions, and the section would be called "Fire at WILL!". We're incredible funny today (too);-)

:arrow: DelphianGamers

In the end it probably wouldn't be a problem to keep both DGDev and DelphiGamer as it's just to make them point to the same site ;o)
_____
Eriken

iLLUNis
07-08-2003, 12:33 PM
:arrow: DelphianGamers

:idea: Do it like a Dolphin....be a DelphianGamer :!:

...dont ask.... :wink:

iLLUNis
07-08-2003, 12:38 PM
Supposing that the new site will have a forum anyway, what about renaming the DGDEV to DGF=Delphi Gamers Forum or something like that and keeping the name DGDEV for the actual site?..... :shock:
just an idea....

cairnswm
07-08-2003, 12:53 PM
The point of having Delphi in the name is also to have it ion the URL. When doing a search for Delphi related sites people are more inclined to go to a site that has the word Delphi in the url as it indicates that it is close to their requirement.

Why not just

WILL
07-08-2003, 04:11 PM
Can I vote for WillsWorld? 8) ...Just as long as long as noone says fire at me though. :roll: :shock:

:D

cairnswm does have a good point about Delphi being in the name... You know like... Orange Juice, Apple Juice... easily distinguishable. Umm... please not DelphiJuice... :oops:

I think that DelphiGameDev is taken... ye ole Delphi something or whatever it's called... hmm... <checking Favorites> ...yeah, thought so. Too bad it would have been perfect for the site.

WILL
07-08-2003, 04:17 PM
You know it'd be friggen cool if we could have a .pas URL! 8)
:arrow: DelphiGameDev.pas :!: :D

Useless Hacker
07-08-2003, 08:28 PM
I like DGDev or DelphiGameDev.

TheLion
08-08-2003, 06:28 PM
I like DGDev, maybe we can write it in full ... something like Delphi Game Developers... The gaming company EA, also isn't clear what it is, but they write it in full in their logo... (okay bad example).

I also like DelphiGameDev and I have seen a few other names I liked as well... we could also do DGDev.pas as our name which would make it clear enough to Delphi Game programmers that it's delphi related... :)

I liked the .pas idea for the domain and even though I think it's possible and not too expensive it wouldn't be wise, I remember someone telling me that the non-standard top-level domains are not supported by every DNS server and so it might happen that ppl cannot reach the site just because their DNS server cannot take it... another problem of course is that a domain name (except for our tk version) costs money and we are trying to keep this site free of charge, unless of course we could find a sponsor for the domain name, but that's highly unlikely atm! ;)

doggo18
08-08-2003, 11:04 PM
:arrow: DoneInDelphi
:arrow: Delphi? Game done. (says it all 8) :lol: )
:arrow: DyingWithDelphi