PDA

View Full Version : Merge the Sites? - new Delphi Game Developer Community Site

WILL
04-08-2003, 05:01 PM
Lets keep the debate here so we won't be running into this issue when discussing other ideas. Do you think we should merge the site projects into one bigger site to help promote and grow the 'Delphi Game Programming' community?

tux
04-08-2003, 06:55 PM
will make it easier to get latest news if its all in 1 place :)

and the community will be bigger :)

04-08-2003, 06:58 PM
"Yes, but only merge DGDev and DelphiGamer.(Please tell us why)"

Since Turbo is about Delphi compilers I don't think it's a good idea to merge it to the final site. Anyway we could build a cooperation between the new DGDev and Turbo. Like Pub or News . But I don't think it would be a good idea to merge Turbo :)

Traveler
04-08-2003, 07:20 PM
I'm finding it very hard to choose. You may call me a softy but I'm still having difficulties to start working on somebody else's turf (And quite possibly, take over from him), with or without his consent.

Nevertheless, I've voted for option 4...

WILL
04-08-2003, 07:29 PM
Well, the fact that Turbo(the site) is geared towards all things Borland does widen his sites mandate so making a super-Delphi site would not hurt him all that much... and he seems rather willing to help us with a web site partnership of sorts. So maybe it's best if it be a joinning of those that do follow the base-line 'Delphi exclusively' game devlopment.

iLLUNis
04-08-2003, 07:38 PM
The forth option does it for me also....I dont really think that we should merge with Turbo for the reasons already mentioned a few posts above....

BlueCat
04-08-2003, 08:34 PM
I chose option 4 too. Mainly because turbo said:

I don't know if I agree that merging sites is the best way to go. I was thinking something more along the lines of setting up news posting accounts for DGDev'ers on turbo, and making DGDev the offical forums.

I'm certainly not up for (another) big development project

However, I don't want to keep anyone from making a new site, so if DGDev wants to make a news and links style site I will certainly link share and all that.

So I think we should respect his wishes and carry on with our plans.

I'm sure we can find a nice way to link turbo to our site though. Maybe
we could call it 'Delphi Games News from turbo@[insert new name here]' and make that our only news section.

:cat:

WILL
04-08-2003, 09:06 PM
Hmm... you know what, I think that 2 news sites wouldn't be that bad... 3 is too much, but the fact that the mandate for Turbo and ours is different makes it... ok. He is all things Borland and we are just plain-jane Object-Pascal(Delphi/Kylix). We will not be C-Goers, but Turbo will(though I think he prefers Delphi anyways ;))

I do respect Turbo's wishes to keep his site as is, and he has excellent reason to. Turbo, I hope you'll forgive me for even suggesting it. :lol:

As for DelphiGamer, we'll see it's up to Savage.

TheLion
06-08-2003, 07:43 PM
"No, I love DGDev, turbo and/or DelphiGamer the way they are!"

Okay, I have been rather silent lately, but I wished to mix into this one! ;)

Actually DelphiGamer and DGDev are allready kinda merged... when you chose forums on DelphiGamer you come here... a lot of websites and official sites have some sort of allience with other websites that run the forums for them and stuff, I think DelphiGamer is there for the news and information and DGDev is here for the forums... I wouldn't know what else you would want to change with a merger ... :) Unless you want to use a portal, which is a pain in the ass if you ask me! :)

EDIT : If we would decide on a merger, I would gladly help with building the side or writing modules and stuff... :)

Bobby
22-01-2004, 02:10 PM
If you need help with the site I am willing to help as well, let me know.

Bobby

Goliatus
22-01-2004, 07:15 PM
There is no any good english delphi game programming knowledge base I think! Forums are good for temporary use. It is not good that each new Delphi programmer starts with DelphiX. It is sad that allmost all popular Delphi game/graphics coding sites make DelphiX propaganda. Don't want to and dont have time to proove why delphix sux :|

Any merge wont help with this situation.

WILL
23-01-2004, 08:53 AM
There is no any good english delphi game programming knowledge base I think! Forums are good for temporary use. It is not good that each new Delphi programmer starts with DelphiX. It is sad that allmost all popular Delphi game/graphics coding sites make DelphiX propaganda. Don't want to and dont have time to proove why delphix sux :|

Any merge wont help with this situation.

DGDev isn't a DelphiX propaganda site. Actually far from it. It's an online community for Delphi programmers that want to make games and come to get the latest information about game programming in Delphi. This is what it's growing towards. And what we are trying to improve to be able to provide this information in a easier format. One gamming graphics API will not dictate how the site will perform, I promise you. :)

The *NEW* DGDev, when finally merged, will have a new look, feel and set of what, hopefully we will all want it to be.

WILL
23-01-2004, 08:55 AM
If you need help with the site I am willing to help as well, let me know.

Bobby

Thanks Bobby, I'm sure we could use an extra hand with web construction. We have a team setup, but won't be in action until I get some things sorted out. Drop BlueCat a message and he can initiate you into the fold if you would like. :)

Goliatus
23-01-2004, 11:30 AM
The *NEW* DGDev, when finally merged, will have a new look, feel and set of what, hopefully we will all want it to be.
I also have an idea for this forum. We are making it on our polish gamedev board. It have codename "Museum"! :) We try to put links to all interesting topics from last 2yrs on one seperate category/board. Forum Search option doesnt have feature to "Find All Interesting Topics" :) So if there are no any interesting discussion and only beginner stuff on the top of the recet post list, someone new could say that it is NB forum. So we want to make a Museum to proove that our forum is on a good skill&experience level and new users can talk on many topics with us. And also Museum has some educational values :twisted:

P.S Forum Museum is some alternative for articles on www :wink:

Zanthos
23-01-2004, 12:16 PM
Sounds like a very good idea :) I've got quite a lot of free time so if you need any help I'll be happy to lend a hand.

WILL
24-01-2004, 06:55 PM
Goliatus: Well you sound like you have quite the project going there. We'd be more than glad to associate with you in exchange it youd like. I'm sure the team won't mind me saying so. ;)

Goliatus
27-01-2004, 07:29 PM
It is polish (ametaur) gamedev community with 4 years community. Since this 4 years the general feeling about gamecoding in delphi have seriously changed :)

WILL
28-01-2004, 09:27 PM
Hmm... well we'd certanly would love to hear more on that. Alot has definately changed as far as game programming in Delphi or Object Pascal.

Hmm... perhaps you would like to write an article for the new DGDev site when we get it up? It would make a great feature to help us kick off to an amazing start.

For those that have not read yet or are out of the loop; The new merger(already decided on a long time ago) will combine the sites DelphiGamer.com & DGDev.tk together to make a new site featuring news, staff written articles, development tutorials and these wonderful forums we all grew to love. Alot of older content from both sites will be kept and will be accessable from the new site. There will be more supprises, but lets not spoil them now. ;)

Goliatus
29-01-2004, 01:54 PM
Hmm... perhaps you would like to write an article for the new DGDev site when we get it up? It would make a great feature to help us kick off to an amazing start.
If my English lang knowledge would alow this ;))

WILL
29-01-2004, 07:43 PM
We'll have proof-readers that can help fix or make corrections here and there. Authors and proof-readers will work together well enough I think.