PDA

View Full Version : The Staff - new Delphi Game Developer Community Site

WILL
04-08-2003, 08:03 PM
Who would like to be a part of this new site? This can be actually being a part of the staff or just writting tutorials and articals on a "part-time" basis.

So... If you want to join us tell us:

:arrow: How you want to help(What jobs you want, list 'em)

AND

:arrow: How much time you can spend on it. (Part-time/Full-time)

[Once we have enough people to call 'Staff' we can then make a new thread for ideas on how to start and where to start.]

[EDIT: forgot to mention that the following people have already stated that they want to help out: BlueCat, myself, Traveler, Avatar and Shadowcore ]

Ok first mine:

:arrow: I can help with; News, Tutorials(not many but I have an idea for a series of them now), moderating some forums and some of the new sites design(depending on how 'in-depth' it is)

:arrow: Ok Mr. Hypocrite peaks now... Not alot. I will have brief times here and there that will allow me to do the bigger things, but most of the time it'll be little attention allowed. And with my new job I'll be sent off for periods on months some times(but not that often). I have to move soon and that doesn't help too much either. But, I'll have to see.

Traveler
04-08-2003, 10:13 PM
As mentioned earlier, I'm more interested in the technical part of the story. Design, building and eventually maintenance of the site.

How much time you can spend on it. (Part-time/Full-time)
I do also have a job and my own website to maintain, but I think I can offer anything between 5 to 10 hours per week. Although I do expect that once the site is up and running, less time is required for maintenance. Especially if more people are maintaining the website.

turbo
05-08-2003, 01:34 AM
I posted a little news item that your looking for staffers for the new DGDev. If you do an 88x31 button banner I'll add it to the main page.

Also, I'll update the offsite forms to reflect DGDev's forums...

Anything else I can do to help out?

WILL
05-08-2003, 02:18 AM
Thats excellent Turbo, thanks for the help. We might have to wait on the banner until we decide on an official name for the new site, but as soon as we do, I'm sure I(or one of us) can whip one up.

So far I think that the request for staffers is good enough so far. We are waitting on some important discussions to conclude and then we can really set a direction. I promise to keep everone up to date with the outcome. :)

cairnswm
05-08-2003, 06:53 AM
I would love to help out :)

I have a full time job, family (3 kids) so probably will not have all that much time.

I would like to do tutorials - either general Delphi related of DelphiX as I dont really have time to learn the other technologies.

I would be willing to do a series on writing a simple game - probably a tile based game - using a step by step tutorial approach. (I actually started it but never continued :( )

I can also help by finding interesting code snippets - eg Creating a tool band inside internet explorer, reading the windows user name etc etc - These are things that I collect for myself anyway :)

cairnswm
05-08-2003, 07:35 AM
I am also willing to run community projects. These would be open projects that anyone can submit code for.

My suggested projects would be:
A simple shooter game (maybe redo my retro TimePilot entry)
A tile based game
An Isometric game.

The source code would be made readily available and Open source.

I would do them all in DelphiX because I now know it and because it would be an easy entry point for beginners. My goal would be to progress through the project on an incremental basis designing each object etc.

05-08-2003, 08:38 AM
Personnaly I can help with :

-DirectX : can be the DirectX Headers or DelphiX, especially Direct3D and Direct Draw.
-Algorithms : if it's needed, I can explain the basis of the most current algorithms and give some examples in the domain of games.

This year I'm still a student, so I'll have some time to handle my projects. BUT (yes there's a but ^^) DGDev would not be my only project (actually I've got an other website and a video game). But I'll have some time to write for DGdev :) don't worry about that(but not 5 tuts a week ^^)

And, just remembered something ... We'll need somebody to correct all the mistakes I could make in a tut (since I'm not English, I can and I will make Mistakes).

BlueCat
05-08-2003, 09:42 AM
cairnswm and Avatar: Thanks guys, that just the sort of thing we need. It's kind of you to offer your help, I know how hard it can be to commit to something when you already have plenty to do (especially the job and kids part :) ).

And don't worry about your English, we can help :) You could do a french (?) version too if you wanted.

:cat:

Maja
05-08-2003, 10:28 AM
I'd love to help out.. let me see..

I can help with HTML and graphic work (2D/3D)..

and I can spend a fair amount of time if need be, upwards of 10 hrs a week maybe.. depends on my work load, which changes every week.

05-08-2003, 11:25 AM
And don't worry about your English, we can help You could do a french (?) version too if you wanted.

In fact I've already planned to make a French version of all tuts I would make for DGDev because a friend of mine and I are building a small site on Delphi (Delphi-Depot) (it's a french site) . So I guess every tut I post on DGDev could be posted in french on Delphi-Depot lol :)

WILL
05-08-2003, 03:42 PM
cairnswm: Some really good ideas you have. It'd be cool to see an open Iso-game project/tutorial(perhaps also a tile-based platform type game like megaman/duke nukem too?). If you already have a tut going this'd be a great oppertunity to finish it! :)

I was also recently having an idea for a tutorial series that would detail "top to bottom" how to make a "Scorched Earth Clone"(Worms, etc). It'd start with basic game outline(game states, game objects) move on to game physics(your basic shot) and then getting fancy(gravity, wind, etc) then controlling dirt, then other things like playing wth borders and making special weapons, etc and so on... I mean just break it all up and make a really detailed tutorial. It'd be great for beginners and people that loved the original(like me). :D I could release one part a month(2-3 weeks instead?), maybe if I had a co-author(I write code/tutorial and he writed the other, sometimes switch) we could be more frequent.

:?: Tutorial People: Hmm... DelphiX seems like a logical default for writting these tutorials. Since there are so many others that do so many things and it is so well known already it seems like the choice for beginners in a way. You guys agree?

Avatar: Good ideas. I'm sure one of us will be able to give you a hand with the finer points of english. You'll probably be able to improve your english vocabulary too. :)

EDIT: Notice how I corrected myself. :roll: :)

Maja: Sounds like something we shall be needing very much. Perhaps you BlueCat and Traveler can team up in designing the new site? This will be a big deal for some short time until we get everything design-wise sorted out.

05-08-2003, 04:53 PM
Tutorial People: Hmm... DelphiX seems like a logical default for writting these tutorials. Since there are so many others that do so many things and it is so well known already it seems like the choice for beginners in a way. You guys agree?

Yes, because of no initialisation, finalization and no real framework, DelphiX is far more simple for a beginner ... However it's very bugged (collision, animation etc.) and should not be used too long especially for great projects(like 3D projects)

But it is a very good point to learn the basis and the foundations of video games :)

Avatar: Good ideas. I'm sure one of us will be able to give you a hand with the finer points english. You'll probably be able to improve your english vocabulary too.

I long for beginning to work lol.

Eriken
05-08-2003, 06:26 PM
How you want to help(What jobs you want, list 'em)
Hum, I'll do whatever I can to assist ;-) I'm a game newbie though..

So, tasks that are suited for me would be..
-> Janitor (cleaning up dead links, watering the plants.. etc)
-> Moderator (take those young ones with a foul language and set them straight)

And I can be a pretty mean BOfH on IRC, most experience there ;-)

icon_arrow.gif How much time you can spend on it. (Part-time/Full-time)
It's like "You've a life or not?" ;-) Full-Time is overdoing it abit since I have a job, but I am around frequently.
_____
Eriken

WILL
05-08-2003, 06:48 PM
LOL Looks like we could use you in our IRC meeting Eriken. :)

Actaully you're contributions as the site grows will be much more significant as the site grows. And of course you can continue to moderate even in the new/transfered forums when the new site goes up. 8)

BlueCat
05-08-2003, 08:42 PM
It's true, what Eriken doesn't know about being a pretty mean BOfH on IRC isn't worth knowing.

Get your joke book ready for the weekend Eriken :twisted:

Alimonster
06-08-2003, 08:07 AM
I'm willing to write a few tutorials/articles and to be a moderator. I can only work part-time on it, though, coz of my 9-5 job.

BlueCat
06-08-2003, 09:05 AM
So apart from myself we have:

WILL
Traveler
Shadowcore
cairnswm
Maja
Alimonster
and even Eriken ;)

That's a pretty good team to start with :P

Anyone else want to join before we get started?

iLLUNis
06-08-2003, 09:31 AM
yep...count me in....i could give a hand with the design and the graoics should you need to..:)

BlueCat
06-08-2003, 09:36 AM
yep...count me in....i could give a hand with the design and the graoics should you need to..:)

Cool, thanks iLLUNis!

For anyone who doesn't know, iLLUNis made the DGDev logo ;) )

This was the best one he came up with:

http://www.illunis.co.uk/Temp/dgdev13.jpg

iLLUNis
06-08-2003, 09:38 AM
LOL..now that is what i call negative publicity...:)...you forgot that i had a few pints before doing that.. :shock: ...never trust a drunk designer.... :?

Eriken
06-08-2003, 09:47 AM
Man I'm still laughing about the DGDev-logo, pure art.. Who'd know he'd try getting a self-portrait in on the logo.. :P

and even Eriken
That's my name.. Even Eriken? (I thought it was Evil Eriken).. Speaking of that name, you know it's a firstname here in Norway Bluecat? there is a dude called Even Hole as well.
_______
Eriken :twisted:

Traveler
06-08-2003, 09:47 AM
Maybe I'm too early with this, but perhaps we could organise a design/layout contest?

iLLUNis
06-08-2003, 09:58 AM
I would think that it is just a bit early for the time being.....give a few days... :roll:

06-08-2003, 11:55 AM
Lol, didn't know for the logo :) Well done Illunis !

WILL
06-08-2003, 06:50 PM
LOL :lol: OMG! We'll scare 'em away! :lol:

....ahem... ok ok... I'm in control.... *breath*...

Oh man, that has got some real shock factor to it. It's cool... but man... :D Truely though, if we don't use that logo/banner, we have got to use that grinning guy somewhere... ;)

Anyone mind I have a try at the logo?

iLLUNis
06-08-2003, 08:03 PM
LOL...:)....go ahead....personaly i am not trying anything yet since we dont have a name and a design......i cannot concentrate without knowing the subject...:P

doggo18
07-08-2003, 07:41 PM
I can help out too. Same as others; I don't have much time to spare, but I'll do what I can. I can do a bit of everything (except tuts/articles wagh! :shock::shock:) so if you're short on people I might be able to help a bit..

Useless Hacker
07-08-2003, 08:21 PM
If you are still looking for people, I am still interested. I can write some tutorials on Delphi basics, DelphiX and DirectX, and I can check the English of others if they wish. I could also help with the site development, although I am not familiar with PHP.
After I start at uni (I hope), I will only be able to help on a part-time basis, but before then I am not doing anything much, so I will be able to give it my almost undivided attention, however I cannot get on the Internet every day.

Or I could just be like Eriken. :twisted:

http://bofh.ntk.net/Bastard.html :lol:

Sander
08-08-2003, 01:11 PM
Right, forgot to say HERE what I could do:

1. I was planning on doing some very very low-level tutorials, the kind that start off with telling people what variables are, and I could always do some other tutorials..

2. I am just a generally helpful person, I know a little bit about a lot of thing, so I could probably help out here and there with small stuff...

cairnswm
08-08-2003, 01:29 PM
I'd really like to see some tutorials on the fundamentals of classes. My biggest work when writing tutorials is that if I add too much on classes people may not understand.

08-08-2003, 06:07 PM
Hmmm

I can do anything related on DirectX especially DirectXGraphics/Direct3D

I can do from the basis of DelphiX to the Particle Systems using Point Sprites or the loading of 3D Objects from files ...

And I've some knowledge on algorithms since I've been selected in the best french programmers under 18 for a "training" in algorithms (but I wasn't selected for the IOI :cry: :cry: :cry: ).

TheLion
08-08-2003, 06:19 PM
I can help out with php and writing phpnuke modules (if someone would decide on using them), I can also help writing tutorials and stuff on subjects that I know, Delphi Canvas, DelphiX, DirectX and maybe some other stuff as well... :)

WILL
12-08-2003, 06:53 PM
TheLion, I've sent BlueCat a messge to get you setup as a staff member. You can confirm what jobs you want in the Staff Positions thread there.

BlueCat
13-08-2003, 08:56 AM
WILL: I didn't get your message :?: , but I've added TheLion to the team now :wink: