PDA

View Full Version : Groups?

code_glitch
22-09-2010, 09:21 PM
Is this facebook now? I just noticed a new groups feature. Looks like fun, but what exactly is the point of them? As far as I can see its just the same as a facebook group... Just made one anyway if you want to be part of PGD's first ever group which is probably relevant to every coder out there...

Anyway, liking the new PGD =]

Keep it up guys.

Traveler
23-09-2010, 11:16 AM
I believe groups are sort of mini clubs within PGD, with their own topics and stuff which are not immediately visible to other members.

WILL
05-10-2010, 04:35 AM
I've been adding a few other 'General Interest' Groups that people can join. So far I've created one for Lazarus, OpenGL, OpenAL, SDL and Mac Users. Noone has created the Delphi, Delphi Prism or DirectX yet so whoever is a big advocate of these, go ahead and start one up for it.

Also if you are a part of a development team or group, why not create a group here on PGD to 'represent'? ;) *ahem* NecroSOFT and Magic Storm *ahem* ;) You can also post picture of your team meetings, game or tool releases and other events.

AthenaOfDelphi
05-10-2010, 06:43 AM
I've just created a Delphi users group. I've also created a group for users of Propellerheads audio tools, since I know of at least 1 other person here at PGD that uses them.

Andru
05-10-2010, 08:37 AM
I don't see any sense of groups(at least for OpenGL, Lazarus and other). Why not creating all topics on forum? Any question about OpenGL, Lazarus, developer environment under Mac, etc. must be visible for all others, I think. Groups like that will split up the community, and new people will not see any activity on forum. But groups for teams, exotic engines, etc. - maybe a good idea.

Traveler
05-10-2010, 12:34 PM
I have to agree. I'm not really sure about the added value as well. Some time ago I joined a relatively large group on a different (3d related) forum but it hasn't changed the way I use those forums at all, nor has anything changed for me.

WILL
05-10-2010, 12:47 PM
Groups seem like a rather new feature to vBulletin, at least in the way they are used so far. I presume that they may plan to make a widget for the front page, but there isn't one currently. As for their usefulness. I guess it sort of works like a way to show special interests, see how many people are interested in what. I think it may be useful for development groups to show a small showcase of their exploits via photos of their team members at events or while working as a team on projects, etc. Even screenshots of their games and so on. It's not meant to replace the forums in any way, just be a separate feature on the site that's all.

Use 'em, don't use 'em, up to you. :)