PDA

View Full Version : PS3 linking!

phibermon
09-10-2010, 02:36 PM
Recently the PS3 was hacked.

Also a version of the Sony PS3 SDK was leaked.

Now, it's totally illegal to own, so I on that day, I didn't bother getting it.

But that very night, I had a dream!

In this dream, I had downloaded version 1.92 of the SDK and I was experimenting with linking compiled PPU64 code (Freepascal) into a C++ framework written using the SDK. I first wrote a C module and a pascal header to wrap up some common GL functions (present in the SDK) for use in my Pascal code. Then, using this header I compiled a Freepascal module that did some random GL stuff. Then, in my C++ framework using a C header for the pascal module I passed control of the rendering thread to the pascal code (by calling various functions present in the pascal module, exposed via the C header)

Compiled that, did the final linking, wrapped it up into a PKG and installed it on my Jailbroken PS3, IT WORKED! I'd written Object Pascal code for the PS3 and it was actually working!

Then I woke up.

"Amazing" I thought to myself, if only I wasn't a law abiding citizen I might just give that a go.

EDIT : I had an equally sucessful dream about doing this on the OLD Xbox 1 (using the leaked MS SDK, not cheating under linux) which is probably why I had this dream..

AthenaOfDelphi
09-10-2010, 04:52 PM
Sounds like a pretty impressive dream... nice job... erm, I mean sleep well and have more ;)

chronozphere
09-10-2010, 05:21 PM
In this dream, I had downloaded version 1.92 of the SDK and I was experimenting with linking compiled PPU64 code (Freepascal) into a C++ framework written using the SDK. I first wrote a C module and a pascal header to wrap up some common GL functions (present in the SDK) for use in my Pascal code. Then, using this header I compiled a Freepascal module that did some random GL stuff. Then, in my C++ framework using a C header for the pascal module I passed control of the rendering thread to the pascal code (by calling various functions present in the pascal module, exposed via the C header)

That's a great dream. ;) Better than most of my dreams. Last week, I dreamed that after a mysterious accident, my PC was melted (or molten??). All that was left was a stinking blob of liquid plastic and metal. :D

Probably a hint from above to start making backups. I didn't do that yet. ::)

AthenaOfDelphi
09-10-2010, 05:39 PM
Probably a hint from above to start making backups. I didn't do that yet. ::)

**AthenaOfDelphi breaks out her flamethrower**

Backup... backup... backup - Especially now you're working on TubeRunner :o

phibermon
13-10-2010, 10:15 PM
I've been quite tired lately due to a flu bug I'm getting over. I came home from work and sat in my chair. I remember thinking how comfortable it was and I must off drifted of to sleep.

I awoke with a start in the early hours of the morning and I had the most vivid dream, it seemed so real! this is what I remember :

Someone had leaked a bang up to date 3.41.001 SDK and tool chain for the PS3 so in my dream (because we never act like we would in reality) I had downloaded it, unpacked it and tested my code from the previous dream and it still worked (with a one or two minor changes)

"awesome" I thought. So I exported a few more functions (a bit more GL, functions for loading data from the drive, gamepad etc) and proceeded to convert my pascal GL framework to work with the arrangment of funcs I had exported. I got the gamepad d-pad working and wrote some funcs to pump out relative mouse movement messages into my framework. Working.

Had problems with textures, disabled them for now. Probably paths, no debug on retail unit, yet. (what a strange yet tangible thing to remember from a dream huh?)

Just before I woke up, I had taken some of my code written for my existing win32/linux framework and dropped it into this new PS3 framework, compiled, installed, tested, working.

and then just like that, I woke up. Another thought crossed my mind; short of exporting some thread functions and getting them working, everything I've written over the past year or so, would drop straight into this framework with almost no modification (except sound and network stuff, I saw headers in the dream, but would need many nights of such dreams to learn how to use them in the correct manner... it's not like it's a common, public dream-SDK with dream-websites filled with tutorials)

*sigh* if only it was real, but of course, it was just a dream.

EDIT : I have removed an anti-$ony rant from my post because it was written out of a personal bitterness for some of the actions being taken by them at present.

My apologies if you have already endured my overly harsh comments :)