PDA

View Full Version : Iron Strike

WILL
16-10-2010, 04:44 AM
I'd like to introduce everyone to an old project that my friend Dirk and I have worked on a few years ago. We have never released it publicly before today due to it's many bugs. However since it's been years since we've started trying to get back to it, I figured that we should at least release the almost beta version of the game for everyone to see all that hard work and detail that went into this title.

http://will.pascalgamer.com/ironstrike/

virtual
17-10-2010, 09:45 AM
good game , whats the file format used for the models ?

code_glitch
17-10-2010, 01:15 PM
Works great. Fantastic game, although maybe a little high on mem and no loading screen at the start with a not responding message might put people off a bit...

But otherwise great work will.

WILL
17-10-2010, 07:15 PM
Thanks guys. But do keep in mind that I didn't actually touch the code at all in this one. In fact this is mostly his work, though I did Write the game's story and construct the missions using his editor. I also had a hand in a bit of the creative concepts of the game mechanics. ie. switches and zones which activate specific events, etc...

I also wrote the Tutorial to help you learn how to play too.

Dirk on the other hand; wrote the game engine, did all the graphics and the awesome special effects, found some of the models (which are whatever format Apshyre Extreme supported, I can't recall), created all the different unit enemy characters, weapons and pickups and wrote the level editor which I used.

This game is based off his 2006 PGD Annual entry, Tanx which he won first place and won a chance to submit his game to the IGF. We've only ever submitted it to the IGF, but it was so buggy as you can probably tell so we didn't win anything. Since it was so buggy we also didn't really want to show it off to everyone, instead the original plan was to fix up all the bugs and then show it off. However, about 3 years later and with both of us not having worked on it since I asked Dirk if he was willing to allow me to post it and take over the source code. He agreed, I haven't gotten the source yet as he has to find it, but I've posted the game and created a simple showcase site for it and if I can I may see about fixing up any major bugs myself and re-releasing it to the public.

WILL
19-10-2010, 04:21 PM
So what do you guys think? Is this title worth continuing development? I've been nagging Dirk to contue it for years now, but he has been busy with his own mobile projects.

If there is enough interest, I may take the source and fix the existing bugs and polish up the levels where glitches appear in testing.

There is a portion of the game where it was said you get stuck. It's been such a long time since I've given it a playthrough. Has anyone encountered it while playing?

Sascha Willems
19-10-2010, 05:58 PM
I just gave it a quick try (played two levels) and I think it's worth finishing it. As far as I see there aren't that many action games where you drive around a tank, and the game seems to already be in a state where the real missing thing is "just" content (missions e.g.), so it shouldn't need to much work getting it polished up for a final release.

Sure, I noticed several things right from the start when playing these two levels that need work, but I'm sure most if it could be fixed very easily, so there should be no reason not to release this, so from my side : yes, finish it or maybe release the source and get some people from the community finish this, cause pascal games are currently very rare.

Here are some things I noticed on my first quick play that should be fixed :
- Widescreen resolutions. Cause 4:3 screens are very rare nowadays, and the game stretched to 16:9 looks bad.
- Audio levels. At default settings music is much too loud and I could barely hear the soundeffects. I think it should be the ohter way round
- Music. It doesn't fit the game, it should be more of a background-kind of music with a military touch.
- "Heavyness" of a tank. A tank is a heavy and sluggish vehicle. But the game lacks this feeling. Turret should move slower, firing frequency should be lowered, firing range should be enlarged.
- Armor system. It would add a lot to the gameplay in my eyes. So you'd have a front, back, left and right armor, each with it's own "health", so you'd have to watch your four sides instead of just having one health bar.

So if you decide to finish the game I hop this list will help a bit in getting it polished for release.

WILL
20-10-2010, 08:44 PM
Hey Sascha. Some good suggestions. I've been talking with Dirk about getting the source code to work on it a bit. I'll have to wait and see if he can find it. *crossing-fingers* If I can get it he did warn me that it's in a bit of a state of mess since it was technically his first game. He's so moddest, it's probably better than all my projects combined. ;)

Either way I might upgrade it to Asphyre Sphinx provided that it improves performance. In all reality I really have to see whaqt I'll have to work with. I know I'll have to tinker with both the game engine and the level editor both.

As far as music goes, I may grab some public domain tracks or purchase some royalty free music, but then I'd be considering shareware. I'd of course cut Dirk in on it since it was his engine and hard work for the first year of it's development.