View Full Version : Building Lazarus from source in windows 7

chronozphere
17-10-2010, 08:55 AM
Hey everyone,

I'm trying to do this, but I'm stuck. I've checked out the sources with SVN:

http://svn.freepascal.org/svn/lazarus/trunk

By using TortoiseSVN. Then I downloaded the GNU Make tool from:

http://gnuwin32.sourceforge.net/packages/make.htm

And now I CD'ed to the root of my SVN working directory and tried "make".

But it seems to be using the Borland Make tool (It gives about 2000 errors). How to I force it to use GNU Make?

I allready tried with the full path:

G:\laz\laz>C:\Program Files\GnuWin32\bin\make.exe
'C:\Program' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

Also I'm a bit clueless about what to next. Can I make lazarus use the old FPC version I installed from binaries (at C:/Lazarus/FPC/)? Or should I download the latest FPC version?

Can somebody help me?

thanks

JSoftware
17-10-2010, 09:09 AM
I would recommend to use the newest of both. First build a trunk version of fpc, and then lazarus

When I had Delphi I simply renamed the GNU make to gmake, and made sure it was in path. You might be able to call it the way you do, but you need to put it in quotes("C:\Program Files\GnuWin32\bin\make.exe" bigide)

chronozphere
17-10-2010, 12:03 PM
Ok, after some messing about, phibermon suggested that I should just grab the latest snapshot and install that. :)

Seems like I was lagging behind with my 0.9.28.2 beta install. Now I do have 0.9.29 with FPC 2.4.3 :)

It might be beneficial to have a setup that allows me to compile everything from source. Is it worthwhile to set that up, just to be able to get the last version quickly?

User137
17-10-2010, 02:26 PM
I haven't really updated Lazarus more than once every 2 months or so from the daily snapshot with latest compiler. It doesn't get big changes often.

Legolas
17-10-2010, 06:53 PM
As far as I know, make.exe is shipped with the fpc binary package, so you don't need to download it from elsewhere. Usually I do something like:

set path=c:\fpc\bin\i386-win32;%PATH%

cd c:\lazarus

make clean all

That's all :)