PDA

View Full Version : I want to HIRE an Artist, where do you recommend I look?

WILL
29-10-2010, 10:10 PM
I know a lot of indie game developers don't really like to pay for their game content and would much rather complete their games without paying a dime. In some cases however this is a little unrealistic depending on the capabilities of the development team, if there is one, and the kind of content that the game calls for.

I myself have a game where I originally tried to get all my content made on the cheap, with someone who wasn't all that serious about completing all the content. He was a part of the team and ended up leaving before it was all done. So now I have to redo all the graphics, which for me alone would be a nightmare. So I've elected to instead hire a contract artist to do the artwork that I need instead of scrounging for it all.

Here is where I draw a blank, where is the best place to find said artists? I've tried some graphics forums, but posting on those can be a little touchy and impersonal. I don't want just a volunteer, I'd rather set up a paid contract and have the work guaranteed. I need a specific set of graphics to made the game work and I don't want to play around trying to get it completed. I need a professional or at least a professional amature/indie.

What do you folks suggest?

chronozphere
30-10-2010, 08:48 AM
Have you tried gamedev.net? I often see post from people looking for/offering their coding/art skills. :)

Traveler
30-10-2010, 03:22 PM
Indiegamer (http://forums.indiegamer.com/) might be a good place to start. There are some good portfolio's being posted there and they usually have some people looking for a paid job.

Brainer
30-10-2010, 07:59 PM
Maybe someone at Polycount?

WILL
30-10-2010, 10:49 PM
Maybe someone at Polycount?

Link? I could Google it, but it's such an odd name I might find something else than what you mean.

I may try Indie Gamer, I've been to that site before, but sadly haven't spent much time there. GameDev.net on the other hand, I have spend quite a bit of time there. The problem I find with them is that you're likely to get a lot of "I want to make a game too" responses, but not a lot of professional "I can create your graphics for this much and here is a sample of what I can do." Which is what I'm gunning for.

I've thought about seeking out artists who post their resume or portfolios online like those on Great Games Experiment or Deviant Art. However, I figure most of them might want a higher amount than what I'd be willing to pay seeing as they are aggressively seeking paid work and all hoping for the big names to pick them up for a project or to join a team. But I might find the odd person that is willing to work on an indie game project like mine.

If anyone knows any specific artists who have a similar style to what K4Z did for Garland's Quest (http://www.garlandsquest.com/), please throw up a link, it might save me a search session or two.