PDA

View Full Version : make files for pascal?

slenkar
15-11-2010, 12:13 AM
Can pascal or lazarus do 'smart compiling' e.g. only compile the .pas files that have changed?
Or do you have to create a make file

Andru
15-11-2010, 12:27 AM
Can pascal or lazarus do 'smart compiling' e.g. only compile the .pas files that have changed?
So many simple questions about Pascal... did you ever read some documentation, or try to investigate something by your self, before asking all this? :) Yes, Lazarus will build only changed pas files, if you use command "Build" instead of "Build all".

Or do you have to create a make file
Why Makefile for Pascal must be different from any other Makefile? You can write Makefile for everything :)

slenkar
15-11-2010, 12:55 AM
documentation is boring :)

I searched for 'object-pascal' or free pascal tutorials and didnt find much, there are a lot of delphi tutorials but they didnt answer some basic questions I had

WILL
15-11-2010, 03:57 AM
There is a ton of great information here about FPC and Lazarus. http://wiki.freepascal.org/ I'm sure that you will find many of your answers within these living documents. Much of it is written by users of the tools themselves so you'll find that they are not too dry, I'm sure. :)

User137
15-11-2010, 03:50 PM
For Lazarus go into Project options:
Project options -> Miscellaneous:
Uncheck "Always build (even if nothing changed)"

But as the compiler is quite fast anyway in my opinion (talking of fraction of second with larger projects) and because of not compiling everything you may encounter unwanted problems - i'm using the "Always build".

slenkar
15-11-2010, 04:10 PM
thanks for the help