PDA

View Full Version : Posting News on the front page not the Forums

WILL
19-11-2010, 11:48 PM
I'm hoping to start a new trend here at PGD. Many people seem more comfortable posting their news in the News Forum instead of the front page for whatever reason. I'd like to have all the news posted to the front page from now on. The News forums could instead serve as a location for all the comments instead.

The old News systems at PGD have always made use of the News forum up until now so this makes the current forum redundant. It also makes more sense for the first thing that everyone sees new and returning to the site is all the news announcements.

So I'm going to lock the News forum from people creating new threads and ask that everyone instead would go to the 'Home' section of the site and create 'News' articles instead when they want to make a news announcement.

This is not hard to do and you would write it much the same way that you do any forum post, except that you can add images and videos from sites like YouTube. The trade-off to this is that you can't publish your news right away, instead a Staff member must publish it for you. This will allow us to review and make any minor formatting corrections needed, add media and so forth.

So please continue to make news announcements, but on the front page instead.

NOTE: Make sure that when you are creating a new News "article" you are in the News section of the front page. If you are in the Articles section, it'll create an "article" instead.

Thanks. :)

code_glitch
20-11-2010, 11:22 AM
Errm... Is there a 'add news article' button anywhere? I can't seem to find one...

Andru
20-11-2010, 11:29 AM
I think this is it:
http://img266.imageshack.us/img266/1222/screenxo.th.png (http://img266.imageshack.us/img266/1222/screenxo.png)

chronozphere
20-11-2010, 12:06 PM
Yeah, I'm guilty of posting news in the forums too. ;) Thanks for the explanation.

michalis
20-11-2010, 04:17 PM
Hi,

I tried creating a news post for my engine release (http://vrmlengine.sourceforge.net/) this way. But I don't see a way to format my text in any way in vBulletin. It seems both HTML markup and BBCode (forum-like) markup is ignored.

Bear in mind that I only see a standard text editor (no WYSIWYG) when editing articles in vBulletin. Possibly because I use Firefox (actually Iceweasel, on Debian)? Or maybe a normal user doesn't have permissions to use a markup (which would be sensible from security point of view, but then --- how can I format my text? :)

My news post is on http://www.pascalgamedevelopment.com/content.php?103-Kambi-VRML-game-engine-2.2.0-released. (Accessible only to admins of PGD probably, as it's not published now.)

WILL
20-11-2010, 07:26 PM
But I don't see a way to format my text in any way in vBulletin. It seems both HTML markup and BBCode (forum-like) markup is ignored.

Bear in mind that I only see a standard text editor (no WYSIWYG) when editing articles in vBulletin. Possibly because I use Firefox (actually Iceweasel, on Debian)? Or maybe a normal user doesn't have permissions to use a markup (which would be sensible from security point of view, but then --- how can I format my text? :)

This is because you have not set it up properly for your account. vBulletin, for whatever unknown reason doesn't give you the WYSIWYG Editor by default you have to set it. Go to this link and it'll explain how. http://www.pascalgamedevelopment.com/showthread.php?5984-Message-Editor-Configuration

As far as publishing, we'll still need to access it ourselves and choose the category, add tags and press publish. But you can get the bulk of the information for us which is a big part of the work involved in writing news posts. The post credit and count will go you you.

WILL
20-11-2010, 07:30 PM
Oh and for future reference HTML is not allowed, you have to use the editor. Which also means I have some work getting rid of a whole bunch of HTML tags for someone's news post. :D

michalis
20-11-2010, 09:01 PM
vBulletin, for whatever unknown reason doesn't give you the WYSIWYG Editor by default you have to set it.
Thank you, I did it and I recreated all my links and formatting by WYSIWYG buttons :)

I see you already published and tagged my article (I hope I didn't cause trouble by editing it at the same time, everything looks perfect :) Thanks!

HTML is not allowed, you have to use the editor
That's a little pity for me, I would actually prefer to hack tags myself, in whatever format necessary (hmtl, bbcode etc.). You know, Emacs is more powerful for me than any GUI editor :) But actually the vBulletin editor worked flawlessly for me too, so it's no biggie.

WILL
21-11-2010, 05:57 AM
That's ok. It did, but I got it fixed anyway. vBulletin has a nice editor it's used in a lot of online content sites and does a good job of formatting your content. The problem with HTML is that it leaves the site open to being hacked so it's not allowed in many parts of the site, including the main page.