PDA

View Full Version : Latest forum posts

User137
26-11-2010, 03:31 PM
Any chance to have a feature to show few latest forum posts? :) Would make it easier to see what's posted... I noticed that only relying on the frontpage's "Last forum threads" may cause you miss many posts.

JSoftware
26-11-2010, 04:34 PM
I use the What's New button in the top. I think that's what you're looking for

WILL
26-11-2010, 11:15 PM
Yes, "What's New?" is the new "Posts since last login" feature. :)

Also don't forget to also check out the Blogs section as well. I've noticed that new blog posts and their comments are not put into the "What's New?" section of the site so if you don't go to the blogs every so often to read them you'll miss whats happening there unless you notice the most recent blogs shown on the front page.

Mirage
27-12-2010, 06:58 PM
The "Posts since last login" feature always shows me "Sorry, there are no new posts to view".
At main page there is only 3 (!) latest forum posts which is almost the same as 0.
So I can't track activity in the forums for last few weeks.
On the other side there is no much sense in message bodies at all on main page. May it's possible to place here at least 10 last messages?

User137
10-08-2011, 08:05 PM
Just want to bump this thread a bit :) It's not just about forum posts but also articles and all content released in this site. They often go completely unnoticed. I am fairly regular visitor but once in a while i notice topics that i've missed completely. I know there's "What's new" on top but it resets the tracking time when you visit it once. Sometimes "View posts from last 24 hours" is not visible at all, and honestly that is quite short time. Going through each forum sections manually is too much, maybe way too many categories aswell. Main page showing "3 most popular" articles, forum posts etc could in my opinion change to "10 latest active topics".

I use many different forums and so far best feature i have found in one phpBB kind, is "View new posts" that goes as far as 4 days back. Another custom made forum shows all categories at once with clear highlight colors on forum posts and categories that have unread posts. Both systems are built so that all the information fits easily to 1 screenful without scrolling. Reader is always on top of knowing what's happened on the site while he was gone.

WILL
14-08-2011, 01:14 AM
I don't want it to seem like I'm ignoring this thread. I'm actually reading and taking notes of some of the things that I can look into doing to make this site easier to see all the content that has been added/posted recently. What's New is proving to have it's flaws that make it hard to see ALL the new posts, articles and the like since you've visited last. I'll give phpBB that, it made sure you had a whole list.

Blogs is another thing that doesn't show up in What's New. I could make up a page that will do a better job, but I'll have to see how I can do it without modifying the site software. Any changes to the source code would mean having to do the same each new update to the software, thus eventually making any updates (especially security updates) a nightmare.

I've added an RSS page in the CMS that shows only RSS feeds that I've managed to gather up into one list. Unfortunately using the CMS forces each section to have it's own list of content. That's why there is the awkwardly looking block in there that says RSS Feeds in the page's content.