PDA

View Full Version : SDL vs DelphiX

{MSX}
09-11-2002, 08:19 PM
Anyone uses both of them? I've been using DelphiX for years and seems to be fast enought to do anything 2d, while a little testing with SDL made me think it's quite slow.. am i right or just did a wrong test? :roll:

I'm also interested in SDL portability to linux.. is it just a straigt rebuild of the project or i would need to rewrite and adjust some code?

Thanks!

DavidAHouse
09-11-2002, 08:36 PM
Its been a while since I used DelphiX, so I can't really comment on that. I can tell you that SDL performs well for me. I haven't had a problem with it yet, and it handles 3D, not just 2D. But it doesn't have the component concept like DelphiX ( yet ).

Also, if you use the JEDI-SDL libraries, you can just recompile your program for linux. There are very few changes you would have to make ( in many cases there are no changes ).

savage
09-11-2002, 08:44 PM
Hi MSX,
I have used both DelphiX and JEDI-SDL and have not noticed any significant differences in speed. There will be some speed loss as it is yet another layer over DirectX, but I think the fact that it is so portable makes up for it.

Have you played with any of the demos that ship with JEDI-SDL?

If you look at the demos that I and various other developers have put together for the JEDI-SDL release ( v0.5 ) that was included with Delphi 7 and Kylix 3, you will see that you are able to compile and run all these demos ( both 2D and 3D ) under both Windows and Linux without changing one line of code. It is a straight recompile. If you have a look at the code to the demos and you will see that most of them have no {$IFDEF}s. The ones that do have {$IFDEF}s are the VCL/CLX demos that show how to mix SDL with Delphi/Kylix forms.

{MSX}
10-11-2002, 01:14 AM
Thank you guys.. i'll try and study SDL if i find some time..
One more thing: i've find different distribution of SDL, can you give me the link to the standard one if any?

savage
10-11-2002, 01:55 AM
The official site for JEDI-SDL distribution is on SourceForge ( http://www.sf.net/projects/jedi-sdl ) as we use CVS.

I still have not had time to update the Delphi-JEDI home page.