PDA

View Full Version : Horrorween

Momor
12-10-2003, 04:04 PM
The first DGDev Team game is about to be released !

For more information : http://www.horrorween.tk

Prepare for spooky battles !

Eriken
15-10-2003, 09:56 PM
And it's now open! ;-) No, I'm not going to say anything more.. it's all there.. *points*
_____
Eriken

Alimonster
15-10-2003, 10:56 PM
Weell... didn't work with OpenGL here, unfortunately :(. It showed a green screen for a while, then a black screen with no visuals. It was running (the music was going). If I tried that DX emulation of OpenGL then it displayed the loading graphic and crashed. Argh! However, it works with software rendering (and I have a zoopa-fast PC so I can get away with it).

I think the previous release candidate I obtained via my inside connections worked with OpenGL (that must have been maybe a couple of weeks ago, I forget).

Nice presentation, though! Lots of violence - just the way games should be.

Now, make a version where you shoot trick-or-treaters (maybe firing explosive sweets at them) and I'll love it! :twisted:

doggo18
15-10-2003, 11:48 PM
God... how crazy am I to be playing this at 1:45 AM :shock::twisted::P

BTW: I especially love the sound where at one point you only hear that monotone BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM ;) Game well done guys :D

16-10-2003, 04:22 AM
lol !

That looks cool ! Gonna test this tonight :)

cairnswm
16-10-2003, 06:13 AM
Looks great - I have downloaded the game and will play it sometime :)

Out of interest - do the rest of us have access to the 'Ultra fast Basilisk engine' for our games?

16-10-2003, 02:25 PM
GREAT !!!

lol this is excellent :P Well done guys ^^ (hey I'm first for the moment :P)

TheLion
16-10-2003, 05:31 PM
Yes, It's our aim to bring the Basilisk engine to the public once it's finished! ;)

Crisp_N_Dry
18-10-2003, 06:53 PM
First thing I want to say is that I really liked the game. But, and there always is a but, I found it very similar to a freeware game I played a while back called Crimsonland. I believe this has now gone retail or shareware but a demo is available at there website if you wish to compare www.Crimsonland.com. I was just wondering if you had played this game before and took inpsiration from it or is this a genuine coincidence 'cause i gotta say that the similarities are pretty major. Now I've got that out the way I'd like to congratulate you on a job well done. Like I said, I really like the game and think you done an excellent job and I applaud your game dev skills. Well done.

lithander
19-10-2003, 12:24 AM
Hey, the game is cool! ;)

But I'm just curious how you did this Online-Highscore thingy. Will there be the source for public sometimes in future? Or would anyone care to do a little explanation?

Thx,
Lith

19-10-2003, 05:18 AM
By the way, is there any way to view the online score without playing ?

Clootie
19-10-2003, 08:20 AM
Good game!

But...
It's not working in OpenGL mode (same simptoms as described above). Throw Software and "DirectX emulation" (don't know that does it means) both works.
System: WinXP, DirectX 9.0b, Radeon 9500 (Cat3.8).

By the way in DirectX frame rate is around 300FPS, and videocard seems to buffer some frames, so I'm getting mouse lag - to avoid it one need to lock backbuffer at the and of frame. If frame locking is not possible there are some other ways to do it - mail me privately on this.

Eriken
19-10-2003, 08:33 AM
Crisp_N_Dry: Good to hear you like it. About Crimsonland, 3 out of 4 of the people involved most in this game hasn't played Crimsonland.. If the last one got his ideas from there I'll let him answer ;-)

Lithander: Thanks, there is no plans on anything at the moment regarding source release. But it's a good idea for a tutorial at some point, I'll check with the Network Master ;-)

Avatar: Not at the moment, but I'm interested in some option like that, so you never know :) You're still on top at this point, good work ;)

Clootie: Thanks, I'll have the experts answer you on this one.
_____
Eriken

---- There is nothing like delegating upwards ----

Momor
19-10-2003, 08:41 AM
Hehe at a first look it is true that the game "looks" like Crimsonland. But any top view shooter with a lot of monsters will look like that. And don't forget that Crimsonland looks like Robotron or Gauntlet too :wink:

We are currently working on a system that will allow everyone to look at the hiscores from the website.

WILL
20-10-2003, 10:14 PM
Addictive little game. :) You guys did an awesome job. Quality is great. If it were port-able you could easily make an excellent cult console game from this.

If I were to make an addon, I'd have more weapons that you could collect(Grenades-limited supply from pick-ups, a flame thrower, and for the really funky a lightnight gun), maybe a story mode(I'm guessing this or something like it has been planned?) And maybe more monsters, etc.

Multi-player would be fun too. Of course you'd need to have yet, more monsters coming at you! :twisted:

I'm having fun with it, I hope you guys can add more stuff to it. I'm actually supprised that you guys haven't considered making it shareware.

Eriken
21-10-2003, 03:30 PM
Thanks for the feedback Will :-)

Our "New Features"-list is rather long already with interesting ideas and everyone elses comments/ideas has been written down as well :-)

We just have to figure out what we want to do and if it's doable first :-)

About releasing it as a shareware, I'm not sure we've considered that at all with this release, I atleast haven't. But of course, we could just make something really addictive and then sell it for millions later.. :twisted:
_____
Eriken

WILL
21-10-2003, 07:16 PM
Oh hmm... one more thing. :lol: I know, I know... But you guys have to make that rocket launcher a bit more powerful. It seems to do no more damage than a shot gun(well maybe knocks them back a few pixels more).

And there is a bug that you guys should know about though: When I have alot off monsters on my screen and it starts to slow down(esp with the slowdown pick-up) I can shoot right through monsters and not even hurt them. Kind of fustrating when your pushing for a place on the high scores. :)

Hated to do it after giving such a nice post on it before, but felt you guys should know. :)

Eriken: Hmm... maybe you guys could release a second version of the game with story, multiplayer and all and sell that one. Using a future version of the Baslisk Engine... :D

Eriken
21-10-2003, 07:38 PM
Hehe, no worries Will, it can't be 100% perfect forever ;-) It's been running amazingly well so far.

About the amount of monsters on the screen, you know you're supposed to kill them right? :P And for the power of the rocket, will probably discuss it soon, what we'll do :-)

Will, you wouldn't be the one named William on the Highscore-list would you? ;-)

And for the future of Basilisk and Horrorween, you'll just have to wait and see ;-)
_____
Eriken

WILL
21-10-2003, 09:36 PM
LOL I wish! :) I'm still trying to get on there! Let alone be the top guy. :) Too many errands to run today. :( That and the bullet hopping(going right past the monster, but not hitting him) thing is hurting my score too. :/

Well, more guts, gore and explosions for me please. ;)

If you guys release anything about the Basilisk Engine do let me know, please. :)

Paulomars
22-10-2003, 12:50 PM
I can throw in a pennies worth here on the rocket launcher...

RL was/is designed to take out bosses, a boss should die much quicker when shot with this weapon.

Will, do you mean, that in slow motion mode the bullets pass right through them?

actually of course you do, thats what you said.. Im wondering excactly how much slower does it go for you, when you dont have the slowmo bonus?

Paulius
23-10-2003, 01:30 PM
A great game, I just have one suggestion. I think the pickups should be better balanced, once I got 3 or 4 projectile multipliers in a row which are much, much more useful (being permanent and all) than say slow (which makes the score highly dependant on what type of pickups appear), maybe when generating new pickup?¢_Ts type you should exclude last pickups type.

WILL
23-10-2003, 02:29 PM
I can throw in a pennies worth here on the rocket launcher...

RL was/is designed to take out bosses, a boss should die much quicker when shot with this weapon.

Hmm... I'll try that. I find those darn bosses to be a real pain to nail esp. when there are like 5 of them at once. :P

Will, do you mean, that in slow motion mode the bullets pass right through them?

actually of course you do, thats what you said.. Im wondering excactly how much slower does it go for you, when you dont have the slowmo bonus?

I can send to a screenshot with illustrations of what is actually happening. I's like the bullets are hopping(not being calculated between a specific trail), which leads me to believe that the incremenation of the shot's vector/speed -however you guys do it- is set to something a bit too high. I've really only 100% caught this wth the Automatic Riffle.

When it does slowdown, the screen it crowded with monsters(usually), but that strange sound bug where the firing sound just goes. "rupruprupruprupruprupruprupruprupruprup-BANG"

Honestly the image shows the problem better. You can see the lack of the little explosion poofs on the monster that is clearly between the bullets behind it and in front of it. Only you can see it now because the frames are flipping slower now... :/

Am I the only one that has noticed this? Because it's really cramping my score... :lol:

Eriken
24-10-2003, 09:18 AM
Paulius: You've got a point about the powerups, the problem though is that, as long as it's random there will always be someone who's lucky and someone who's not.. I mean, with your example as well there is some option being lucky. The option that would be equal to all is to have the bonuses appearing in the same order, but I guess it'll be a discussion in the team at some point on what to do with it :-)

Will: I would be surprised if the bullets where hopping that much since it doesn't affect you in the beginning of the game? I'm basically only playing with the Automate, I like that weapon, and I've never missed like that so something is weird here.. But as I am at work now, I can't peak in on the code :roll:

Is that a suggestion for a new enemy by the way? "Explosion poofs" ? :twisted:

ruprupruprupruprup-BANG? hehe.. sounds like the Mudmen and a Nuke.. Now performing live "Nuke and the Mudmen!"

What's your best score Will? Last time I checked someone had gotten over 3 million points.. Is that scary or what? ;-)
_______
Eriken :twisted:

Abened
24-10-2003, 05:59 PM
I just wanna say that it's very annoying to do a *great* score while not being connected to the internet !!! Very frustrating as you can imagine ... Here is the proof :
http://perso.club-internet.fr/jbe/horrorween.jpg

What do you think of this score ?

Abened, Horrorwinner

(PS : Yes, i cheated lol)

Eriken
24-10-2003, 08:43 PM
cool! ;-)

What did you use? ;-) Paintshop Pro Plasma? ;)
_____
Eriken

Ultra
24-10-2003, 09:44 PM
Good game guys!

My only problem is getting my brother to stop playing it so I can use the computer. :wink:

Eriken
26-10-2003, 08:40 PM

You can always tell your brother that the creators of the game wants him to get the game known in Sweden before Halloween.. Should keep him busy next week atleast ;-)

8 million people.. 5 days.. Sounds like a reality show..
________
Eriken :twisted:

WILL
26-10-2003, 09:32 PM
I'm guessing you guys are going to try and release an update/ne version for Halloween? Progrss bars and/or little animation thingies/characters for waiting times(Internet Highscores, loading levels, etc) would be nice. If the game freezes up, how will we know?

Maybe even a few easter eggs(halloween pumpkins?)???

Instead of just highscores, etc maybe Highest accuracy rating, etc? Most zombies killed, most skeletons, most bosses, etc...Most skilled with the Shotgun, etc... Most/least traveling, etc... highest body-count, etc...

Then you could also have some weapons that you have to pick-up after defeating bosses, etc... hmm... now that I think about it... shouldn't I get some sort of "prize" for beating a boss? They are so damn hard to kill at least more points or something. But then a bonus or power-up would still rock... Even up the scales...

Also adding to the idea wheel, how about a short intro to each type of monster. Or only the ones that you have fought. ie. after you die or maybe as an intermission thing(when the title screen has been left on for some time, no mouse movement)?

BTW how many levels are there in this version?

Momor
27-10-2003, 07:09 AM
I'm guessing you guys are going to try and release an update/ne version for Halloween? Progrss bars and/or little animation thingies/characters for waiting times(Internet Highscores, loading levels, etc) would be nice. (...)

omg, you see mates ? we only have 3 days to make that ! Hurry up !!! :wink:

There are 4 levels in Horrorween.

WILL
27-10-2003, 09:57 AM
Well if not Halloween, then maybe the next Friday the 13th. :) Or 06/06/06 :)

Hmm... thats the only time I think that you could really symbolize it...

Unless you want to make some wacky new things for another season... :) ie. Christmas or Easter, New Years, etc...

lol new levels taking out posessed Santas and elves(could be D&D type elves instead) or killer bunnies...

Eriken
27-10-2003, 10:19 AM
There are loads of options.. like you being Santa Claus, and have to throw presents at kids before they reach you and kick your ass ;-)

If you want pumpkins, you should try getting to the 4th level and maybe even try it in Survival Mode :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

In the end, horror has no specific dates, you can always scare the crap out of someone, and if we manage to make a good game, I don't think people will be so caught in the date-issue ;-)

Prize for beating boss = You're still alive ;-)

Thanks for the ideas Will :)
_____
Eriken

WILL
27-10-2003, 10:50 AM
Well being alive is really great and all, but nothing says lovin' like a nice warm Uzi, ya know. :) Or a simple M-16 modification. :D

Umm... so what is this "Survival Mode"? I thought there was only Arcade mode? Hmm... leaking next version information are we? ;)

Anytime Eriken! ;)

Eriken
27-10-2003, 11:11 AM
Hehe, no Will, I'm leaking information about the version you've got on your pc.. Which means, you need to try to get the game modes unlocked ;-)

There are 4 levels... for each game mode ;-)

Curious? ;-) In this game curiousity will get something killed.. hehe
_____
Eriken

Paulomars
27-10-2003, 07:57 PM
Not sure what the slowing down issue could be about at all, my guess is that because Will seems to be the only one with this problem so far, we can safely call it an "anomaly" cus thats a nice word :D

WILL
28-10-2003, 08:11 AM
Well I've tried the game in both openGL and Emulated DirectX modes. Smoothing on/off different screen modes.

It seems to be tied into the frame rate. Do you guys do you're collision detection when the frame it drawn or exclusively from that? Because if you're using a routine that drops frames to help keep the gameplay smooth then you could be losing checks on the colission of the projectiles, thus the problem I am seeing. Now, since I'm not using the ultra-super-duper-high-speed-wonder card that most have now-a-days I could be getting slowdowns that you guys are not.

Here are my specs of my laptop that it has been ran on:

NEC VERSA SXi Laptop
Pentium III 800MHz
Built-in ATI Rage 8MB AGP(apature resized to 32MB)
DirecX 9b
Windows XP Professional

Did I miss anything?

Anyhow, I'm looking this thing right in the face each time I play so if anything it's pretty consistant for a fluke. :?

Momor
28-10-2003, 01:57 PM
You should try to increase the amount of texture memory (32 Mb should be ok, but who knows ...)

Your analysis about the collision system is correct. We'll think to fix that for a future version !

Paulomars
28-10-2003, 08:39 PM
Yes definately lacking in Vid card memory Will.

WILL
28-10-2003, 09:40 PM
Well this is off-topic, but I might get one of those PCMIA video cards when they come out. Apparently they are making them to help extend the life of you're laptop. I can't recall whos making them though...

Paulomars
31-10-2003, 05:32 PM
Sandisk maybe ? Ive seen these, but have no idea how well they would perform under video memory conditions... I dont see how this can work wonders on performance though, so as for extending the life of your laptop, I would question that, but hey, Horrorween might run better :)

Eriken
10-11-2003, 07:28 PM
Officially we passed 5000 downloads today, unofficially we've lost track long time ago since it's downloadable elsewhere too ;-)

And for those who wonders about highscore-lists and what different bonuses do, which enemies there are and other things, they can now find them on the webpage under "Highscore" and "About" :-)

Man, I can't get 5000 lights on this cake..
_____
Eriken

{MSX}
26-12-2003, 11:25 AM
Hi, i just tryed your game..
Well i must say it is really really good! It is small but every thing, from the menu to the sound and sprite is great! I especially liked it's being fast and responsitive, with screen fading out smoothly, perfect sound mixing etc etc..
When you die and that skull comes laughting it is too cool :P

And of course the game is very funny :) I've been playing it a lot and manage to get about 1 million point.. not enought for the chart :P

I've got a pair of questions:
1) Will you release the sources of the game or the engine ones ? It really kick asses, it's fast even with hundreds of monsters, shoots, fog etc etc.. really a good engine!

2) Never thought about making a port to linux or better a cross platform version of the engine? I could eventually help you out with this if you want. Having a cross platform engine of such a quality, will be a true show of power of Delphi (and your :P) and of course a great advantage for Linux users.

Well i must admit that when i first saw that you were making a game long time ago, i thouht "here it is another project that will die in two weeks and never see the light". I'm very pleased that instead you've made such a good game!

If you need for the future, i could help you, especially for internet support (ie multiplayer and so) and for linux support (as much as i know :P )

WILL
26-12-2003, 02:09 PM
Indeed, I will need a Linux port to continue to play this on my laptop. ;)

WILL
06-08-2007, 09:00 AM
For those of you who wonder what happened to this old classic...

The domain went dead. :( BUT, I found another location where the game is still hosted.

http://www.caiman.us/scripts/fw/f1444.html

Still a very fun game. ;)

Momor
06-08-2007, 07:35 PM
Oh I'll try to dig it out asap ...

savage
06-08-2007, 09:08 PM
My God the Momor lives!! How have you been? You really need to let us know what you have been up to.

Momor
06-08-2007, 09:12 PM
Hey Mr Savage, nice to see you again !

I was very busy, but I'm back now - see my post in the "Off Topic" forum :lol:

Delphi & Freepascal rulez more than ever, I'm using it at work now !

WILL
07-08-2007, 12:49 AM
Nice to see you back with us in the community again. :)

You should really revamp/fix-up your old sites/projects. A lot of the old sites/pages are ghosting. Much like the Horrorween site has. :?

Momor
07-08-2007, 07:22 PM
Ah, true, Horrorween & Barbarian have been shot, damn !

Others are ok though.

arthurprs
07-08-2007, 08:36 PM
Site does not open here :?

NecroDOME
07-08-2007, 09:14 PM
Same here:

Not Found

The requested URL /horrorween/index.php was not found on this server.
Apache/2.0.52 (CentOS) Server at www.lionprod.f2o.org Port 80

Eriken
13-09-2007, 08:57 AM
Hehe, it feels like a loooong time since we did Horrorween..

If there is anything regarding the games or files just ask. I'm guessing the site listed is dead as MrLion doesn't do much Pascal/Delphi anymore, he left on the C/C++train.

Funny to watch Will's video and see it there though, good work Will :)

WILL
13-09-2007, 01:58 PM
Favorite my video! >:)

:lol: Seriously though... please do. :)

I might make up a preview video of Horrorween down the road.

BTW, was there anything past the 3 different modes of play and the pumpkin patch? I can never seem to get past there. Almost seems intentionally designed that way. Bloody barrage of mud men. :o