PDA

View Full Version : mp3 playing during game

atozix
01-11-2003, 08:56 PM
Hi All,,,

Had this question posted on the general forum,, but got no really easy answer...

I am using Delphi 5 and DelphiX to write a game and want an

EASY METHOD TO LOAD AND PLAY MP3'S DURING GAME..

I dont want to be a sound expert using over the top methods or humungously large programs just for this simple task...

... The method for playing wav files is excellent, and something similar for mp3's would be great....

Is there such a method available somewhere, I am sure there are many others that would appreciate such a method....

Hope you can help and if you reply, keep it really simple ....

Here is my definition of

GENIUS == Someone who makes the difficult appear really easy..
IDIOT === Someone who makes the easy appear really difficult...

cheeeeeeeeerrrrrrrrrrssssssssss ato :)

Paulius
01-11-2003, 11:16 PM
Hi ato, sorry for not really an answer reply, but here goes. Playing mp3?¢_~s is not an easy task at all. As Harry said, if you want to keep it simple use a library like FMOD to do it for you, if you?¢_Tre willing to keep it less simple try digging in DirecShow (haven?¢_Tt tried it myself), otherwise you?¢_~ll be stuck with an easy way of playing only wavs and midis.

Harry Hunt
02-11-2003, 06:57 AM
Check out the DirectShow component (follow the link at the bottom at this post) in my game development kit. It can play MP3 files and it's very easy to use.

atozix
03-11-2003, 12:37 AM
Hmmmmmmmm,
THX for replies guys....

While were at it, what is the easy way to play midi files??

cheeeeeeerrrrrssssss ato

Harry Hunt
03-11-2003, 06:24 AM
either through MMSystem or by using DirectMusic.
Or you could even use the TMediaPlayer component which comes with Delphi.

atozix
03-11-2003, 11:32 PM
Hi Harry,,, :)

Hmmm, yes well the thing is that at the moment I am using DelphiX to write the program...

And the Delphi standard MediaPlayer does not work when I drop DXSound onto the form.... Either one is ok by itself ...

Of course the mediaplayer works with midi files fine on its own....

I am reluctant to stop using DelphiX at the moment as it does most of what i want..

cheeeeeeeeeeerrrrrrrssssssssss a

Harry Hunt
04-11-2003, 08:36 AM
Use xcess' DirectMusic component then :D