PDA

View Full Version : Photoshop..... how do they?

Chesso
13-03-2011, 10:52 AM
I find masses of tutorials to do all kinds of things.... none of which I want!!! LOL!

I am looking to create gold coins (with my own gold logo of some sort on them), but I may also need to somehow have 3-5 positions of them rotating horizontally for animation (even if I had a face-on gold coin I have no idea how people do those sorts of things).

I need to create a gold mining/western themed intro logo/animation for the app and theme the actual app itself, but I can't really find anything I can use or modify to suit.

How do they pull amazing things from who knows where?

Traveler
13-03-2011, 11:49 AM
I take it you have already seen these:
http://tutorials20.com/graphics/image-on-a-coin/
http://www.fstutorials.com/photoshop/coin/effect/tutorial/

The trouble is that most of these tutorials have some sort of 3d effect going on, which makes it pretty much useless for animation. You could create each frame by hand of course, but that may take quite some time to get right.
I don't know what kind of style you're going for, but if I had to do that, I would use 3d software to create the coin model and the animation.

Chesso
13-03-2011, 12:01 PM
You might be right about the 3D. Although I am terrible with that also! haha, but perhaps better tutorials for it.

It's basically to simulate my own way of what slot/pokie machines do for big line wins (with all the spinning gold coins spitting out and upward, and falling continiously with some minor probably 3 frame spinning effect).

dazappa
14-03-2011, 02:54 AM
Well, assuming you can create a circular face for the coin, this isn't such a hard task to do. (Well, it might be) Personally, I would just model the simple coin as a cylinder in blender, then export the various animated frames of the coins as desired. Keep in mind for this approach that your coin face is going to have to be a relatively large image (512x512 or higher is what I would recommend)

Chesso
14-03-2011, 07:04 AM
I don't have blender on anymore, I think Photoshop can do 3D these days, never tried it out yet though.

Getting static images to make animations would probably be easier from 3D then 2D from scratch, though I am terrible with making 3D :D.

dazappa
14-03-2011, 02:32 PM
You can make a simple coin model in blender in less than 20 seconds. Just go to Add -> Mesh -> Cylinder and resize it to your liking. It's the texturing and animating that will bite you. In any event, it is more learning. With Photoshop or Gimp, you could try playing with their perspective tools to get a kind of spinning or flipping effect.

Chesso
15-03-2011, 06:16 AM
I won't need to animate it in a 3D environment, I only need some 2D images from different angles for the effect (so therefore I can make basic 3D object, rotate it export image, rotate export etc).

I have a basic coin in Photoshop 3D gold and shiny enough, found a tutorial and how to merge some text onto it (so when I spin it should do it's thing), but I am not sure how to go about the extrusions on front and back a gold coin normally has and more importantly those lines all the way around the edges, what's the normal way to get that effect? ( I assume it's similar in most 3D editors).

code_glitch
15-03-2011, 07:45 AM
If I remember correctly I believe there is a plug in for Paint.Net that does just that... It should be under one of the plug-in packs on their forums. Might be Pyros but not sure. But since Paint.Net is free you could give it a spin I guess.

Chesso
17-03-2011, 10:26 AM
Well I have my perfect 3D coin with text textures I made, lighting, even those lines on the side which I finally figured out how to turn into a texture and thin them out.

Now for some reason it started as a repousse object and now I can no longer edit it as a repousse object which means I cannot apply the final extrusions *KABLAM GOES PHOTOSHOP!!!"

Ingemar
31-05-2011, 09:08 AM
My thought about Photoshop artists are:

- They have a lot of training, so they know their tools better than we do.
- They also have more training in drawing in general, on paper etc, so they are used to projecting 3D ideas onto 2D in their minds.
- They have Wacom boards.
- The artwork is their work so they put much time and effort into it. And patience. They try and try again.

I have worked together with Photoshop professionals, and they can whip up nice things in no time using tricks I never knew existed, but they also fine-tune details, almost at pixel level.

So their "magic" is very much training and spending time on the tool. At least from what I have seen.