PDA

View Full Version : Tutorials

BlueCat
10-11-2002, 05:02 PM
Would anyone be interested in contributing to a series of tutorials to be posted here at DGDev? Entirely up to you what you write about, providing it's informative and easy to read and of course Delphi/Game related. Something like NeHe's (http://nehe.gamedev.net) tutorials maybe, starting with really basic stuff. Or a one off article (about octrees for example). I know we have some talented people around here, and it would be a good place to direct those "Getting Started With Delphi" :P Also, if our members write them, we can answer questions about them too.

Zanthos
10-11-2002, 06:07 PM
I was considering starting a tutorial a while back :) Maybe I'll consider it again in a week after I've finished my damn A-Level maths coursework :x

It'll probably end up being either about multiplayer networking or using plugins as a scripting system implementation :)

TheLion
10-11-2002, 07:10 PM
Sure! :) No problem ... Tutorials are fun to do, when I get time to do them and have a good subject to write about! :)

{MSX}
10-11-2002, 10:53 PM
i've written some tutorials time ago, but they're all in italian..
I could translate some if someone good in english will read them and fix up mistakes before publishing..
I have one that speaks of classes in delphi.. covers a lot of arguments and i think it's quite good :)

So will some one help me ? :D

pew1234
10-11-2002, 11:47 PM
Hi,

I'm not sure whether or not it's exactly what you had in mind, but I've written several games in Delphi. One in particular, Nuclear, is quite a simple game and I thought that it would make a good game for newbies to study. It shows how to do the basic game control e.g. main loop: get player move, validate it, process it, if okay then check for winner, if no winner then do computer move, and repeat loop.

Certainly no great feat of programming but could be good for newbies to study so I'll write an article about it. I'll add a link in the article for newbies to d/l the source code from my homepage. Give me a week or 2 to write the article. It'll probably be short.

I meant to say, also, that it's based on using a component descended from a TStringGrid. I'll add the link for it and the sound component too. Both links are on my Delphi page.

Regards,
--- Peter W. :-)
Canberra, Australia

BlueCat
11-11-2002, 01:16 PM
These all sound very interesting. As I said, write whatever you feel would benefit other members, probably best not to make it too long (like 50 pages or something :shock: ) though. It think it would be nice to keep it all on the site so:

I was thinking of setting up a forum where your article would be the first post in the thread and then everyone else can discuss it. It would be OK to use HTML so it shouldn't be hard to convert to DGDev Forum Format<sup>tm</sup>if it's already on a site somewhere else.

If you'd like to contribute send me a PM and we can discuss it.

But keep posting your ideas here for everyone to see :D

Stevie56
11-11-2002, 10:17 PM
I like the idea of tutorials from those active on the forum. Responses to queries could come straight from the author.

How would it be if a list of requested tutorials was compiled, coming from the forum users?

That means someone knowlegdable might feel encouraged to write an article knowing there's already a need for it.

Is it possible to upload ZIPs to the forum?

TheLion
11-11-2002, 10:19 PM
I like the idea Stevie56! :)

I sometimes want to write a tutorial about something, but don't do it, since there are so many on that subject allready! So it would be nice to know what people are looking for! :)

BlueCat
12-11-2002, 12:20 AM
I like the idea of tutorials from those active on the forum. Responses to queries could come straight from the author.

How would it be if a list of requested tutorials was compiled, coming from the forum users?

That means someone knowlegdable might feel encouraged to write an article knowing there's already a need for it.

That's actually a very good idea :idea:

Is it possible to upload ZIPs to the forum?

No I'm afraid you can't, but you if you're planning on submitting an article which includes zipped files, you can send them to me and I'll upload and add ]new thread[/url] in 'Forums'.