PDA

View Full Version : Structure and Design

MuteClown
22-03-2011, 03:24 PM
Ok, well for the last two days i've been trying to put together the beginnings of my own library, which i hope can then be developed into an engine. It uses SDL and openGL, atm im just dealing with the design structure and the easy(er) sections camera and input. I was hoping if you all could give me some hints and such.

The plan i got atm:
I want to keep everything as modular as possible, with each what i've just started calling devices((input, camera,renderer etc..) dunno if its really the right word but a well =]) So what i've started implementing is a device manager which is used to fetch and post events to the device. I was thinking of having some sort of Event stack or queue, to post and fetch from. With a property that tells if there is any events to be fetched. This is to be implemented via an interface.

EDIT:
Also now i was thinking of using an observer pattern in the input class to notify when there is an event. This is so i don't have to keep checking if there is input, so the input device will let me know when there is input to handle. I'm also going to make the device interface a generic interface, since each implementation of the interface is most likely going to be using a different type.

So far the camera device isn't looking to bad, i've just kept it simple for now; still trying to organize the input device.

So its this an OK route to take? I fear i might be over complicating things, in theory i think its going to be good, but what do you guys think?

code_glitch
22-03-2011, 09:22 PM
So I take it we are going 3d?

Sdl and OGL in the same box, like it, I'm on the same boat here with Prometheus - sdl for the earlier stuff and OS stuff like event handling, and OGL for speed. Nice. Heres my good deed for the day: do not, I repeat do NOT use sdl_surface, or sdl for graphics AT ALL apart from loading nice file formats. It will give weird results - period. I know you can get it to work, but is it not easer to just go OGL?

Event stack or queue, to post and fetch from
Hey man, sdl has this, I would just write an interface to it - pie easy here

observer pattern in the input class to notify when there is an event
I see a prime target for some neat and low resource multi-threading here ;) don't you?

If you habe any Qs and want As just post or whatever, if you need some multi threading code, then same thing. Anyway, you get the idea.

MuteClown
23-03-2011, 01:09 PM
Yeah im going 3d, i probably should of made a good 2d OGL/SDL engine. I thought i may as well just go 3d, since i see a few 2d libraries i can use anyway =]
Im going to wait on doing threads until laters, since im not as confident with them, but i do try to design with them in mind :)

Yeah, im probably going to be throwing many questions out here, to get input from people with more experience.

Edit: would also help if i wasn't referencing a model-view-controller pattern instead of a observer one *sigh*, being brain dead is blissful until you realize it :P

code_glitch
23-03-2011, 04:07 PM
BTW: A thread is the easiest thing ever... Here is some example code:

program Test;

{$Mode Delphi}

uses
cthreads, classes, crt;

type
TSomeThreadClass = class(TThread)
ct: int64;

procedure Execute; override;
end;

procedure TSomeThreadClass.Execute;
begin
//Main stuff to do Ie. Kernel

//Kill the thread when Kernel_Kill gets word
Terminate();
end;

var
SoundThread: TSomeThreadClass;

begin
SoundThread := TSomeThreadClass.Create(false); //Create the thread, s
SoundThread.Resume(); //Execs the Thread.Execute procedure. Nice.

//Stuff continues

SoundThread.Terminate; //Tell thread to stop
SoundThread.WaitFor; //Wait until thread exits
SoundThread.Free;
end.
piece if cake really ;)