PDA

View Full Version : Programming for the Windows CE Platform?

WILL
14-11-2003, 12:05 AM
:?: :?: Does anyone know how to program for Windows CE in Delphi? :?: :?:

What libraries would be required, etc? I would be interested in designing small games for handhelds, but I have no knowlage on programming for the WinCE platform.

Clootie
14-11-2003, 05:54 AM
This is not possible with Delphi. Period.

PS. Althrow there is a Delphi-like IDE+Language by third party developer which support WinCE. Pity by I can't recall it's name.

wilbur989
14-11-2003, 03:41 PM
There is a "delphi like" tool out there for it I just can't remember the name of the product right now. The other choice that you do have is if you have D7 or happen to be really lucky and have D8 you could do the whole thing in dot Net. That will allow you to create code for CE and Pocket PC, and any other dot net enabled os.

-Jeremy

Clootie
14-11-2003, 04:04 PM
As Borland representatives mentioned new Delphi8.NET will not have "Compact Framework" profile by default, but it's still possible to create managed CF applications (manually controlling used classes), that will run on CE platform.

Clootie
14-11-2003, 04:12 PM
Ok, I googled for it: PockedStudio (http://www.winsoft.sk/pstudio.htm). But it's actually for PalmOS not WinCE. So, for WinCE your best bet is to used Delphi8.NET.

wilbur989
15-11-2003, 01:02 AM
That sounds about right. The only reason I mentioned the delphi 8 / delphi 7 angle is that a friend of mine is building a small db app that can be run from a Pocket Pc, and he is using the delphi 7 .net preview compiler. I think right now he is using the 3rd update. Anyway, That is what he is having to do is manage all of the classes himself. He can't use the designer or debugger at all.

-Jeremy

WILL
15-11-2003, 03:38 AM
Wow, that really does sound like a pain staking process. :? Does anyone know of any sites deticated to this off-hand? I could google for it, but I'm sure the microsoft/windows sites will come up mostly. I'm mainly thinking of screen sizes, how to do graphics, etc...

Clootie
15-11-2003, 09:16 AM
Link: http://dotnet.borland.com/.
But you should really wait for Delphi8.NET (for visual designer, etc) as it's coming...