PDA

View Full Version : Ludum Dare 20

Stoney
06-04-2011, 04:19 PM
The sun is shining and it's spring and as some of you may already April means Ludum Dare time. This Ludum Dare is scheduled for April 29th to May 2nd.
As with my other Ludum Dare threads in this forum I just want to know how many of you will be participating and what you are going to be using?

As for myself, I'm not so sure if I'm going to use FreePascal or JavaScript and CSS. Web games are being played and rated more than downloadables. I guess it depends on the theme.

dazappa
06-04-2011, 08:39 PM
Haha, I'll have to pass on this one unfortunately. Right in the middle of finals for me. I've always found the concept of Ludum Dare and other compos rather interesting; but I'm never completely happy with what I make (and I suppose that's how it's supposed to be!) In the end, I like being forced to conform to a theme, but I like to flesh out projects more.. and 2 days doesn't cut it. PGD annual is more what I'd like to try next ;)

JSoftware
06-04-2011, 10:14 PM
I'm going to participate this time with 2 friends

WILL
07-04-2011, 06:50 AM
The PGD Annual won't be until the Fall/Winter if that helps. ;)

I'd like to see how many Pascal guys will be making an entry for the next Ludum Dare too. Any idea what the theme is for the next one?

...any guesses? :)

chronozphere
07-04-2011, 12:28 PM
I'm unsure about whether I will participate. I'm having a busy period right now. Also, the 30th of April is Queensday in holland so... :P

code_glitch
07-04-2011, 04:17 PM
Recent Prometheus releases stable: Check
Prometheus code to laod and draw TileD maps: Check
Proof of Concept physics code for Prometheus: Check (not on svn, don't go looking ;))
New engine release for RPG and platformers rolling out in a few weeks/days: Check
Pepsi supply: Check
People to participate: Nope, lets just hope for the best
Free time: Spring break. Check, hopefully its right at the end but in it still ;)

Looks like I might be joining my first luduum dare soon then... Although Prometheus, is quite a handy tool to have if I may say so myself. I'll admit to feeling a little guilty using its latest revisions in such a manner but hey. Fun.

Stoney
27-04-2011, 12:25 PM
Just a reminder, you guys: Ludum Dare is this week-end. :)
Personally, I'm not quite sure which tech I'm going to be using, I'm torn between using my own Object Pascal engine, Unity3D and JavaScript.

JSoftware
27-04-2011, 12:47 PM
I'm still in! :)

I'll be writing most things from scratch in good ol' FreePascal. I had some good experience using RemObject's PascalScript, and OpenGL in one of the previous ones, but I think I'll start to brush up on some sort of proper content pipeline.

Still, I think the hardest part(as always) will be getting a good idea. Let's hope the theme will be good this year :)

code_glitch
27-04-2011, 03:51 PM
Just realized something: if its this weekend I better do some serious work... I was planning to use the bleeding edge of my code (basically prometheus with half of it cobbled from some proof of concept apps I made over time) but as luck would have it, its throwing up runtime errors like crazy and GDBs finding it hard to not crash too...

I blame the POC code for particle effects and OpenAL since it looks like some threading BS (excuse me) is going on... Any ideas on the theme yet?

Oh, and its exam time next week (mocks only but hooha)

dazappa
27-04-2011, 09:50 PM
Just realized something: if its this weekend I better do some serious work... I was planning to use the bleeding edge of my code (basically prometheus with half of it cobbled from some proof of concept apps I made over time) but as luck would have it, its throwing up runtime errors like crazy and GDBs finding it hard to not crash too...

I blame the POC code for particle effects and OpenAL since it looks like some threading BS (excuse me) is going on... Any ideas on the theme yet?

Oh, and its exam time next week (mocks only but hooha)
Ugh, yeah I've gotten into a mess crashing GDB before >:(

Anyway, theme voting for ludum dare has been going on all this week, so you could log into the site and see some of the suggested themes (while voting for them!)

code_glitch
28-04-2011, 06:31 AM
Now that 'aint a half bad idea somehow

farcodev
30-04-2011, 01:27 AM
i'm not participating but whish good luck to whose who'll do :)

Stoney
30-04-2011, 02:14 AM
The theme was chosen: It’s Dangerous to go Alone! Take this! (http://www.ludumdare.com/compo/ld-20-voting-round-6-of-6/)

chronozphere
30-04-2011, 08:49 AM
Ow.. I totally forgot about this. :( Allready made some appointments this weekend.

code_glitch
30-04-2011, 11:18 PM
shame, running in it right now - excellent stuff even though its my first :D

WILL
01-05-2011, 10:34 PM
Cool theme. Who is working on entries?

JSoftware
01-05-2011, 11:53 PM
I just gave up working more on mine. It became a convoluted mess of Javascript, strange coordinate systems and Pascal

I choose to use BESEN, which is mighty fine and all, but I'm just no Javascript coder it seems :) It became way too hard to debug. I need to learn not to try to put fancy solutions together after the start of the compo :(

http://j-software.dk/ss.png

My idea was that it was dangerous to go/walk alone. So why not take this truck with rockets, and a laserbeam mounted on it?

If anyone wants to see the crappy code I churned out then it's all here: http://j-software.dk/ld48.zip

I didn't finish, but I did have a fun weekend with some friends though

chronozphere
02-05-2011, 06:09 PM
Aw..too bad it didn't work out that well. :(

Anyone else? :)

WILL
03-05-2011, 12:21 AM
Shame you didn't finish, but it looks like it was starting to take shape. Neat concept. :D

Lovin' the retro look!

Stoney
03-05-2011, 01:30 AM
Unfortunately I didn't finish as well. :(
I made some pretty graphics tough and learned a lot about Blender. I'll be probably using just Blender in the future. :)

code_glitch
03-05-2011, 02:47 PM
didnt work out that well, but I got it to run so I figured I might as well enter it for funzies... Turns out the Proof Of Concept code I dumped into Prometheus the day before was buggy son only 64 bit linux users can play ;)