PDA

View Full Version : Einstein's Riddle

iLLUNis
11-11-2002, 12:41 AM
Alright guys. There you have it.Your chance to prove yourself. Dont cheat and give it a go. There will be a Poll that will be running for 10 days. If you do vote for a solution please comment on it. There it goes....

There are 5 houses that belong to 5 different people. In every house lives a person of different nationality. The 5 owners drink a specific brand of drink, smoke a designated brand of cigarettes, and they have a specific pet. Between them they all have different pets, different cigarettes and different drinks. The question is?¢_¬¶.who has the fish as a pet.

Here are the clues?¢_¬¶.
1. The ENGLISH guy lives in the RED house
2. The SWEDISH has a DOG
3. The DANISH drinks TEA
4. The GREEN house is at the left of the WHITE house
5. The owner of the GREEN house drinks COFFEE
6. The guy that smokes PALL MALL cigarettes has BIRDS as a PET
7. The owner of the YELLOW house smokes DUNHILL
8. The guy that lives in the MIDDLE house drinks MILK
9. The NORWEGIAN lives at the FIRST house
10. The guy that smokes BLENDS lives next to the guy that has CATS
11. The guy that has a HORSE lives next to the guy that smokes DUNHILL
12. The guy that smokes BLUEMASTERS drinks BEER
13. The GERMAN smokes PRINCE
14. The NORWEGIAN lives next to the BLUE house
15. The guy that smokes BLENDS has a neighbour that drinks WATER

Einstein wrote this riddle on the 20th century and claimed that 98% of people cannot solve it.

Xorcist
11-11-2002, 02:32 AM
God that was a mess... not exactly easy, more a pain in the butt than anything else though. The guy with the fish is German. Here's a little hint, doing things in a specific order really helps out. For anyone else wanting to try, I'd suggest starting with getting all the colors of the houses first, and move on from there. There is a method to solve this, you just gotta keep track of your variables. :)

TheLion
11-11-2002, 09:41 AM
I also have the feeling that it is the German, in the end I had to move the things I hadn't been able to place around a little to be able to finish, but I believe the German is the only one you cannot link to an animal in any way...

It took me about 2 hrs to finish, I think there is an easier way though! :roll:

Alimonster
11-11-2002, 09:45 AM
I think that the butler did it... oh wait, wrong puzzle! :(

This reminds me of some puzzles I used to do when I was younger. I think that you can arrange a "sort of" 2D grid for all the possibilities, and after that it's simply perseverence. Uh, if that didn't make any sense to anyone, at least I know what I mean! ;)

iLLUNis
11-11-2002, 09:48 AM
hehe....whoever did it....why dont you just vote to see the results?.. :lol: I agree though....you do have to keep track of your variables.... :idea:

TheLion
11-11-2002, 09:50 AM
Sorry Illunis, totally forgot to vote... MY HEAD HURTS FROM THIS RIDDLE! :)

Do you also want to know in which house and what sigaret make he smokes ???

iLLUNis
11-11-2002, 10:03 AM
Sorry Illunis, totally forgot to vote... MY HEAD HURTS FROM THIS RIDDLE! :)

Do you also want to know in which house and what sigaret make he smokes ???

8)

iLLUNis
11-11-2002, 03:13 PM
:lol: :lol: :lol: it is really funny that noone is actually voting for it..... :? :shock: :shock: :shock: 9 days left..... :wink:

lnpneil
11-11-2002, 03:50 PM
Okay I go with the German.

Was actually fairly easy by logical reduction... I guess writing it down on paper with each possible option for each possible house helped me visualise it better. Then just applying the known facts over and over until it reduced to who lived where etc :)

Neil

Useless Hacker
12-11-2002, 10:52 AM
I'll say German since everybody else seems to be.

iLLUNis
12-11-2002, 11:13 AM
I'll say German since everybody else seems to be.

:P that is NOT a valid solution..... :shock:

iLLUNis
12-11-2002, 01:57 PM
There has been 109 views, we have 60 members and there are only 7 votes... :shock: come on people.....give it a go..... :evil:

Marty
12-11-2002, 04:00 PM
amazing....i posted this riddle 2 years ago on my homepage and even today i receive emails with possible solutions. :)

but i have another interesting riddle:
you have two rooms, in the first room there is a bulb and in the second there are three power buttons. One of these buttons is connected with the bulb. you can switch the buttons as much as you want but you are only allowed to go one time to the other room to look whether the bulb is on or off.
how do you get the right power button?

good luck 8)

TheLion
12-11-2002, 06:29 PM
You look for lightbeams comming from under the door ? :wink: :idea:

Another solution might be, you just switch all the switches to on and then you'll know for sure the bulb is on! :) :idea:

If these aren't the answers, then I haven't gotten a clue or this is some of those dirty riddles, where there is another room with a window or something like that! :shock:

Marty
12-11-2002, 07:18 PM
no, you can trust me, it works. :)

well... i'll wait until tomorrow, then i'll post the right answer.

Marty
13-11-2002, 02:21 PM
ok, the right answer is:
you switch on the first power button and wait a minute. then you turn the first off and the second on. if the bulb is on, you know it was the second one. when the bulb is off you ckeck if it is warm or cold. is it warm, then you know, it was the first button otherwise the third. 8)

Viro
14-11-2002, 11:21 AM
amazing....i posted this riddle 2 years ago on my homepage and even today i receive emails with possible solutions. :)

but i have another interesting riddle:
you have two rooms, in the first room there is a bulb and in the second there are three power buttons. One of these buttons is connected with the bulb. you can switch the buttons as much as you want but you are only allowed to go one time to the other room to look whether the bulb is on or off.
how do you get the right power button?

good luck 8)

Flick the 1st switch on for (randomly) 10 minutes. Then flick it off, and flick the 2nd switch on. Now go into the room with the bulbs. If the bulb is on, you know it is the 2nd switch. If it is off, go touch the bulb. If it is hot, it was the 1st switch, if its cold, it has to be the 3rd switch. Of course, this is assuming that there IS a switch that can turn the bulb on. :D

p.s. I'll try solve the Einstein puzzle when I've got free time.

Viro
14-11-2002, 11:23 AM
:oops: Didn't know there was a 2nd PAGE!!!! Wasted my time with the reply.

Marty
14-11-2002, 03:18 PM
no matter, now i see my description in correct english :)