PDA

View Full Version : Venfer's Riddle - puzzle/rpg

Ravanous
17-04-2011, 12:28 AM
Venfer's Riddle part 1 is a puzzle game in the sense that you solve riddles, seek solutions to mysteries, and have to think to get through each room. It starts off with the bare essentials: a screen, and the text that tells you what to do... but as you play through the game, the game becomes more complex. More visuals and minigames start to appear, the game gains the use of sound and music, and eventually: you're no longer playing a puzzle game, you're playing a full RPG.

The story is, that you're one of the many humans that have found themselves deep inside a dungeon that it itself is locked away inside the mind of a demon. The only friend you have is your guardian, whom in the beginning only reveals itself as text and gives you advice on how to solve the puzzles. Your guardian serves as a guide as you traverse through the game. He leads you through the dungeon in the demon's mind trying to help you to wake up so that you can both escape back into the real world.

Here is a screenshot of a few of the puzzles/minigames:
http://thorn.ohsk.net/pics/venfer2.png

The link to the game (2.2mb) made purely in Visual Basic, fmod for the audio:
http://thorn.ohsk.net/uploads/Venfer%27s%20Riddle.rar

Please comment and tell me how you fared against the puzzles and what you enjoyed/want changed. Part 2 is a full RPG, so it's completely different than this one... but this part sets up the story and your relationship to your Guardian.

IF THE GAME SUDDENLY QUITS: it's because you died in the game; failed a puzzle... try again! ;)
-Tristan Hodges

WILL
17-04-2011, 04:38 PM
Hello and welcome to PGD! :)

Sounds like an interesting game. You can post a video here from YouTube to show off exactly how your game will look, sound and feel while playing.

chronozphere
17-04-2011, 09:42 PM
The link to the game (2.2mb) made purely in Visual Basic

You do know that this is a pascal-oriented forum, right?

IF THE GAME SUDDENLY QUITS: it's because you died in the game; failed a puzzle... try again!

You should really fix this, because feedback to the user is essential. It's the same as running away in the midst of a conversation. ;)

The story seems interesting to me though. Making a youtube vid would be a good idea. :)

code_glitch
17-04-2011, 10:36 PM
So based on the 'purely in VB' bit, I assume my only bet is WINE right?

Thats the thing I have against VB and other purely M$ 'products' - you have to run M$ something, which is in decline these days. I mean, mono, oxygene, GTK, QT...

Ravanous
17-04-2011, 11:07 PM

You should really fix this, because feedback to the user is essential. It's the same as running away in the midst of a conversation. ;)

The story seems interesting to me though. Making a youtube vid would be a good idea. :)

Haha, no I didn't realize it was a site for Pascal stuff. I was putting my game on a few other game dev forums and didn't really notice that this one was specific to one thing. Sorry about that! I'll understand if this gets deleted in that case.

Yeah, I'm not heavily advertising the game because it's not 100% polished. That's why it just quits when you fail the mission. Thanks for the feedback.

-Tristan

WILL
18-04-2011, 03:16 AM

Ha! I missed that. :P

Now I won't delete the post, just place it in the Off-Topic forum instead. I may recommend trying Free Pascal or Delphi as an alternative to learn Object Pascal though. ;)

We have some great Video Tutorials you can access from the front page of the site.