PDA

View Full Version : Deus Ex 2

Alimonster
03-12-2003, 06:03 PM
Has anyone tried Deus Ex 2 yet? I played the demo and was severely disappointed since I'm a big fan of the original. The demo just seemed... like it wasn't as advanced as it should have been. The graphics seemed ordinary and it ran too slow, the AI sucked and it just wasn't the same feeling.

Oh, and no leaning?! :(

What does everyone make of the design choices in the demo? Also, has anyone got the full game yet (dunno if it's been released yet)?

I'm considering getting the full game but that demo really has put me in two minds. I've been playing the original game (at crazily high res with all options enabled) and it's reminding me of the good stuff that's been taken out of the second in the name of "simplification".

It did show a little of the old style, but not nearly as much as I'd hoped.

But maybe that's just my opinion. What was your take on the game?

Paulius
03-12-2003, 08:56 PM
I?¢_~m a big fan of the original too, it?¢_~s one of my all time favorites among Half-life, FinalFantasy7 and Baldur?¢_Ts gate2, haven?¢_Tt tried the demo yet (damn my internet provider :evil: ), I?¢_~m going to get the full game anyway, even if it would have only a shadow of it?¢_~s predecessor?¢_Ts greatness.

Paulius
04-12-2003, 10:06 PM
Got the full game, at first look if not judging by the first game it is pretty good. The graphics look great, the physics are fun. On the bad side: the interface is extremely uncomfortably console?¢_Tish, the controls are ridiculously minimized (even no quicksaving), less interaction fun (can?¢_~t press buttons on keypads), no larger spaces and still only really playable on 640x480 without maximum detail, oh and a simple person takes there bullets in the back of his head to kill.

Alimonster
05-12-2003, 12:17 AM
Would you say it's worth getting? Are you enjoying the game so far? Is the story any good? (Sorry for all the questions!)

Make sure that you're using anti-aliasing if you're running at 640x480 (if you have a semi-decent graphics card). I used 2x at that res and it makes the world of difference (gets rid of the jaggies), making it bearable. Also, is the default configuration still for the x-box, like with the demo? The only way to know would be to go to the Deus Ex (http://66.193.119.177/) forums and read up on ini files changes, or get the tweaker utility (I can't remember the location of it) to do the changes for you. I doubt they'd make that mistake twice, though.

I played the demo with the settings on medium for the second page (shadows, lighting and models, I think they were), and no bloom (it just made things blurry and less detailed, tbh.) It ran okay.

Useless Hacker
05-12-2003, 01:18 AM
This person doesn't seem to think it's that good. (http://www.gamedev.net/community/forums/topic.asp?topic_id=194536)

Paulius
05-12-2003, 10:09 AM
To continue the bad design choice list: no skills, no experience (side quests usually just pay money, no bonuses for exploration, ex.), no lock picks, no inventory management(a candy bar takes as much space as a shotgun). At least the world looks interesting and there?¢_~s still security bypassing, ATM hacking, sneaking around, do things in any way you want fun to be had, but been there, done that. Didn?¢_~t get into much story yet. Had a look at the ini files, yup defaults are x-boxy, strange to find something like

;FOV__d=68 ;68 is good for the PC version
FOV__d=61
in a PC version, it makes the game look like a console port with no testing done on PC before shipping. I managed to enjoy playing it thus far, but far less than DX1 or system shock?¢_~s at their time. Maybe you should wait for a patch before buying it.

Paulius
07-12-2003, 03:57 PM
Finished the game once, the story turns out OK, more conspiracies would have been nice. There?¢_~s only one really good new feature in the game - the ability to pull up on ledges, strange that no one came up with that one in some FPS. Once you get used to the annoying interface and the initial disappointment and maybe tweaked some ini files it?¢_~s quite enjoyable.

Alimonster
11-12-2003, 10:55 PM
I guess I won't buy this after all. Oh well, there's always Deus Ex 3 to wait for, I suppose. :roll:

But seriously, they'd better not screw up Thief 3! That would be tragic (I can't imagine in-level loading for a Thief game, but seeing how small the DX2 maps are is pretty worrying).