PDA

View Full Version : Small .mod player?

Mrwb
14-12-2003, 10:11 PM
Hi!

I'm looking for a _small_ sound system able to play mod/xm files without an external .dll file. I've been searching around for a couple of days now, with no luck :( All the ones I have found uses .dll's. Im trying to keep my executable at 100kb and with no external files, meaning the player shouldn't add more than 10-20kb to the exe. Could anyone please help me?

Thanks in advance.

Useless Hacker
15-12-2003, 12:05 PM
MiniFMOD can play .XM files, is only 5k and comes with full source. You can find it at http://www.fmod.org. (Scroll down to the bottom of the downloads page.)

Useless Hacker
15-12-2003, 12:30 PM
Although, it seems that is only available for C/C++ :(.

Mrwb
15-12-2003, 03:21 PM
MiniFMOD was what I originally wanted to use, but I noticed, as you did, that it is only available for C++ :(

Thanks anyway though ;)

Guess I'm stuck at MIDI for the moment. :S

Harry Hunt
15-12-2003, 06:31 PM
Try DirectMusic (part of DirectX) it does software wavetable emulation which makes MIDIs sound much better and it also has a tracker-like format. The music in Hitman: Codename 47 was all done in DirectMusic and it sounded quite well.
DirectMusic Producer is available from the MSDN website and DirectMusic header translations are included with the JEDI ones.

noeska
15-12-2003, 06:35 PM
you might want to take a look at http://www.noeska.com/doal/almod.aspx.
It is not finished yet, but plays some basic mod files.

WILL
15-12-2003, 09:25 PM
MiniFMOD is translatable! ;) Mind you... it would be a bitch. Then again they translated Quake 2, right?

tux
15-12-2003, 11:26 PM
well they havnt finished translating yet :P

WILL
16-12-2003, 03:18 AM
Well it's easily compiled though. :) I've compiled a recent copy myself using Delphi 7. Ran great.

I'd actually like to see an openSource MODule playback lib in Object Pascal. I cannot believe noone has done this yet...

Mrwb
17-12-2003, 08:53 PM
Thanks for all the relpies! :)

I've desided to use MODBass, (gives a 32kb dll though) or MIDI with DirectMusic. (At least until someone translates MiniFMOD. *hint hint* :P ;)) I'll keep searching around a bit though, and if I find something, I'll post here in case anyone else is interested. :)

WILL
18-12-2003, 02:28 AM
See? Someone would be interested in a Objet Pascal opensource MOD, etc mixer. :)

noeska: if you're interested in a bigger project of this kind(not just you working on it alone, but with others) then please check out this thread (http://terraqueous.f2o.org/dgdev/viewtopic.php?t=1070). Depending on you're code-base we could use your code as the start of our little project. ;)

gaze
18-01-2005, 11:12 PM
hi there,

you could also create a project to translate minifmod. i once tried to convert it to delphi but i got stuck on the asm routines for sample mixing.
the rest of minifmod should not be a problem.

noeska
19-01-2005, 06:24 PM
also take a look at minimod by Benjamin Rosseaux.
available at: http://www.torry.net/pages.php?id=167

Sly
19-01-2005, 10:51 PM
hi there,

you could also create a project to translate minifmod. i once tried to convert it to delphi but i got stuck on the asm routines for sample mixing.
Same here. Had most of it ported to Delphi and got stuck on the asm. :)

WILL
20-01-2005, 01:06 AM
hi there,

Same here. Had most of it ported to Delphi and got stuck on the asm. :)
Really? All you need to do is add a
asm
end;
block and you're set. ;)

save maybe a few things here or there. What are you stuck on? Maybe I can help as I know how to do a few things in ASM myself.

Sly
20-01-2005, 01:46 AM
I tried the asm..end block syntax. None of it compiled due to different asm syntax between Visual C++ and Delphi. Asm syntax has even changed in different Delphi versions (D5->D6 I believe).

Anyway, it was all a long time ago and I no longer have the code.