PDA

View Full Version : How to be using OpenGL on C++ Builder?

Xorcist
24-12-2003, 03:35 AM
Wow if that setence isn't just hideous... anyways. I want to try and workup some demos in both Delphi and C++ Builder, except I'm not sure what I need (OpenGL-wise). Anyone care to point me in the correct direction? Can I just use the same headers that are supplied for Visual C++?

P.S. I haven't installed C++ Builder yet.

wilbur989
24-12-2003, 04:06 AM
You should be able to use the same headers fine. you could also try to install glscene with builder but as far as I can tell builder will not like it much. If you have to use the general headers then I suggest gametutorials.com for some of the gl tutorials.

-Jeremy

WILL
24-12-2003, 02:39 PM
I would recommend using SDL. Since it is available for both Delphi and C++ Builder(or any C/C++ compiler for that matter) not to mention both Win32 and Linux.

Clootie
24-12-2003, 09:56 PM
Probably, you'll have to manually disable FPU exceptions.

Xorcist
25-12-2003, 08:43 PM
I would recommend using SDL. Since it is available for both Delphi and C++ Builder(or any C/C++ compiler for that matter) not to mention both Win32 and Linux.

Um... you do realize SDL is NOT OpenGL, SDL is it's own API and as far as I know has no 3D extensions. I could use SDL to implement OpenGL, but that still won't help if I don't have the proper headers.

WILL
25-12-2003, 11:35 PM
Well I knew that SDL was it's own API, but I didn't know about the non-3D support. Guess that doesn't help you much huh? :)

Clootie
26-12-2003, 05:58 AM
SDL DOES support OpenGL!
Home page: http://www.delphi-jedi.org/Jedi:TEAM_SDL_HOME

TheLion
26-12-2003, 10:41 AM
Xorcist didn't mean that GL isn't supported by SDL, however SDL isn't OpenGL, you can use SDL and OpenGL together and SDL is prepared for OpenGL and comes with OpenGL 1.2 library, however SDL and OpenGL are officially two different things...

Xorcist
29-12-2003, 06:59 AM
Thankyou Lion...

What I'm trying to say in a nutshell is... I can immediately grab the necessary header files for Visual C++ (Microsoft), but I'm using C++ Builder (Borland) and just want to know if the provided headers are the same, if I need Borland specific ones, if C++ Builder comes with it's own, or whatever else I might need to do to get OpenGL to jive with C++ Builder without running into tons of troubles.

Anyone got a link to some C++ Builder/OpenGL tutorials? Cause I've been looking and finding nothing...

BlueCat
29-12-2003, 10:44 AM
Hey X :)

I'm pretty sure NeHe's (http://nehe.gamedev.net) tutorials come with C++Builder source, most of them anyway. Guess the headers would be in there somewhere :roll:

:cat:

TheLion
29-12-2003, 12:46 PM
I could be wrong, but doesn't C++ Builder (the new versions at least) come with OpenGL 1.0 headers? Since Delphi comes with them too, I guess it would make sense that C++ Builder also comes with them... :roll:

Clootie
29-12-2003, 02:03 PM
Straight from BCB 6 supplied headers (actually it's the same in BCB 5):

/* Version */
#define GL_VERSION_1_1 1
PS. Don't forget BCB "is gone baby, it's gone" :cry:

TheLion
29-12-2003, 04:30 PM
*A bagpipe is playing Amazing Grace while everyone on the forums are silent for 1 minute remembering the good old days when BCB was still there* 8)