PDA

View Full Version : PGD Competition Warm-up Challenge Anyone?

WILL
03-05-2011, 12:27 AM
Hey who would be up for a little warm-up challenge for the upcoming PGD Annual competition?

There wouldn't be any prizes, just the sport of making a really simple game to get warmed-up for the Fall/Winter's PGD Annual event. What do you guys say?

It might run for a total of 3 weeks or so with a really simple theme. It'd only be a challenge after all.

paul_nicholls
03-05-2011, 12:47 AM
Sounds good Jason...could provide some inspiration for me ATM :)

cheers,
Paul

Stoney
03-05-2011, 01:35 AM
I'm definitely up for a Warm-Up Challenge.

chronozphere
03-05-2011, 07:32 AM
I'm up for it too, but I have severe time constraints. :(

Totally depends on the goals, whether I can join or not.

Traveler
03-05-2011, 08:03 AM
Hmm, I don't think I will. I'm currently working on something else and do not want to be distracted.

Huehnerschaender
03-05-2011, 08:13 AM
I am currently deep into other projects as well, so I'd say it really depends on the goals and simplicity of the "contest". Away from that I am out of Pascal game development for years now, so it's quite a difficult task for me to do anything for a contest like that.

JSoftware
03-05-2011, 10:08 AM
I'm in

Do you have any plans for the calender schedule for those competitions?

dazappa
03-05-2011, 11:19 AM
I'm interested, so long as it starts after this week :P

jdarling
03-05-2011, 12:16 PM
A "Maybe" option would have been nice :). Depends on time and other constraints, but I'd be in if the stars line up.

code_glitch
03-05-2011, 02:45 PM
any time, just send us the topics.

WILL
03-05-2011, 11:25 PM
Do, or do not. There is no try.

I was never one for fence-sitting. :p

Actually this compo would start in the next couple of weeks. Just need to give me time to write up the rules and theme and we could kick it off. Since Athena is not quite done with the new site yet, submissions would probably end up being sent by email. I would also possibly accept an email with a link only considering that there isn't any prizes involved.

The theme would be super simple and something that can be done within a 2-3 week period, if not sooner for those that are that good. There will also be a file size limit and the standard disclaimer that allows us to distribute your game and images from it as it was submitted for promotional purposes. (You'd be surprised.)

The end result for the winner(s) would be pride, glory and of course we'd use it to promote the hell out of PGD of course. ;)

...besides, it's fun!

paul_nicholls
03-05-2011, 11:28 PM
Sounds like fun! I will enter if I get time :)

cheers,
Paul

WILL
08-05-2011, 05:32 PM
I've been toying with a concept and theme set of rules for this, but I'm still hoping for more of a response from developers who are actually interested. Anyone else that wants to take part?

Spread the word and make this happen!

dazappa
09-05-2011, 04:23 AM
You have 10 "Yes"es, ;) School just ended for me for the summer so I'm quite free at the moment.

code_glitch
09-05-2011, 02:19 PM
I'm on work experience this - start at 10AM, 2 hour lunch and end at 2PM so I can't complain. Especially if we start the compo that would indeed be quite fantastic.

WILL
10-05-2011, 02:19 AM
I am going to see if Prof. Morrison would like to invite some of his students to take part too. Anyone mind getting "powned" by a teenager? ;)

It's all in fun anyways, right? I'm thinking bonus points for including source. What do you guys think?

IOW NOT manditory, but it give you a wee few extra points in the spirit of sharing. Does this 'kill it' for anyone?

paul_nicholls
10-05-2011, 02:57 AM
I am going to see if Prof. Morrison would like to invite some of his students to take part too. Anyone mind getting "powned" by a teenager? ;)

It's all in fun anyways, right? I'm thinking bonus points for including source. What do you guys think?

IOW NOT manditory, but it give you a wee few extra points in the spirit of sharing. Does this 'kill it' for anyone?

Doesn't worry me Jason, go for it :)

cheers,
Paul

Ñuño Martínez
10-05-2011, 03:29 PM
I've voted 'Yes'. BTW I'm quite "out of busines" now. Anyway I'll try to join it. May be I can do something that attracts somebody to join the Allegro.pas project to help with version 5.

IOW NOT manditory, but it give you a wee few extra points in the spirit of sharing. Does this 'kill it' for anyone? Good for me too.

[edit] If you're out of ideas, take a look to SpeedHack (http://www.speedhack.allegro.cc/) (Spin the "Rule-O-Matic"! :D) and TINS (http://tins.amarillion.org/2010/rules/).

AirPas
10-05-2011, 06:14 PM
yes for me too , in fact this gonna be a good opportunity to refresh the memory ,lol

WILL
27-05-2011, 04:25 AM
Well with the server problems all behind us now, I can get back to focusing on this challenge/mini-compo we've been talking about. What does everyone think about start it this June... maybe the 10th?

Also is anyone interested in being a judge for this small competition? We'd need 3 at least. I'd fill in a judge spot as well so that would leave only need of 2 more.

And lastly; is everyone fairly happy about 3 weeks to complete your entry? Keeping in mind that you should be making simple prototypes not full title sized games for the challenge.

paul_nicholls
27-05-2011, 04:28 AM
Three weeks sounds good Jason :)

I'm looking forward to it ;)

cheers,
Paul

chronozphere
27-05-2011, 06:24 AM
It's kind off hard for me to say when I have time. I guess I should just agree with the first reasonable date and have a try. I still have one busy month ahead of me (Need to catch a 15June deadline for a paid project). Also I intend on joining a summer-school on multicore programming. :D

That said, I will just give it a shot. I could also be a judge. It just all depends on how busy I am and/or how many judges volunteer. :)

Stoney
27-05-2011, 06:50 AM
I'm on vacation until June 13th, so I guess I would have to start a few days late which I wouldn't mind at all. I will definitely try to get something done for this compo.

Ñuño Martínez
27-05-2011, 07:28 AM
Well with the server problems all behind us now, I can get back to focusing on this challenge/mini-compo we've been talking about. What does everyone think about start it this June... maybe the 10th? I have problems to organise my free time, but I think its a good date. Count me in!

Also is anyone interested in being a judge for this small competition? We'd need 3 at least. I'd fill in a judge spot as well so that would leave only need of 2 more. If you have problems to get judges, I propose a public vote system (if possible), so anyone can download, test and rate the games.

And lastly; is everyone fairly happy about 3 weeks to complete your entry? Keeping in mind that you should be making simple prototypes not full title sized games for the challenge. 3 weeks to make simple prototypes? I've seen full games done in just a wee-end! Actually I did (almost) one.

Stoney
27-05-2011, 10:35 PM
So, I decided I am going to sponsor some downloadable games for the compo as motivation. :)

I talked to WILL and we thought it would be best if the winners can choose their games (First place chooses first, second place second, third last). Here is the small list of games:
- Mass Effect 2 (EA Download Manager code)
- Terraria (Steam gift)
- Frozen Synapse (Download with optional Steam key)
- The Secret of Monkey Island (Steam gift)

paul_nicholls
27-05-2011, 10:54 PM
Nice! good one Stoney, very generous of you :)

cheers,
Paul

chronozphere
28-05-2011, 08:37 AM
Oh, allthough I'm not much of a gamer, this really makes things more interesting. :)

Dan
28-05-2011, 01:20 PM
the next igdc contest is about to start any day now and it should last for 2 weeks.
I would like to take part in both contests so I would very much appreciate it if the start date was pushed to around 14-15 June.

WILL
28-05-2011, 08:17 PM
Ok thanks for letting me know Dan. This makes me want to push it back a week or so now.

Tell you what, I'll make you a deal. If I push it back all I ask is that you help spread the word of the PGD Challenge Mini Competition. Places such as the IGDC and whatver other developer forums you know of. :) The mini compo will be much more fun with more people involved anyhow, right?

I was about to announce it as a June 10th start, but maybe push it back to the next Friday. Also with it ending on the July 1st weekend we might have a few missed submissions due to any North American partying going on that weekend too. :) Anyone else's countries celebrate something in early July?

paul_nicholls
28-05-2011, 10:13 PM
No partying here in good old Australia LOL

cheers,
Paul

chronozphere
28-05-2011, 10:37 PM
So that would be friday the 17th huh? Seems like an excellent idea from my perspective. I've got an important deadline on the 15th and the first week of july will probably be completely filled too. :)

WILL
30-05-2011, 05:49 PM
Ok it's finalized. June 17th is the official start date of the 1st PGD Challenge Mini Competition!

I'll be posting more details later on today. Tell everybody everywhere. :)

paul_nicholls
30-05-2011, 08:36 PM
Ok it's finalized. June 17th is the official start date of the 1st PGD Challenge Mini Competition!

I'll be posting more details later on today. Tell everybody everywhere. :)

Woo Hoo!

Nice...

cheers,
Paul

JSoftware
30-05-2011, 08:50 PM
The day after my last exam. Good planning there :)