PDA

View Full Version : what about collapsing forums ? :P

{MSX}
03-01-2004, 06:20 PM
What's the point in having so many forums, while lots of them hold 2, 3 topics ?
Look at AI for example.. 10 threads in 5 forums! They will fit all in a single page on a single forum.
I thinks it gets too dispersive... i would collapse some categories in single forums.

doggo18
03-01-2004, 08:06 PM
Actually I agree with it :shock:.. I visit many forums, and every forum has a different setup. But this one is hardest to browse if you just want to keep general track of the whole forum. It would be less of a problem when we have more users and forumtrackers (-I wub those 8)8)-) since then it would actually increase the speed people can go through the posts of interest.

Anyway; I'll put it in our new 'n improved wishlist for DGDev, 'THE SEQUEL' ;) So maybe... stay tuned :)

{MSX}
14-01-2005, 03:43 PM
I'm taking this 1 year old issue to your attention again :P

I think that our actual forums system could get better.

Things i'll change:

:arrow: Collapse/remove unused "Library" forums: XCess, Project Omega and Gamevision. They have too few posts to justify a forum..

:arrow: Design/Creative group: All treads from 4 forum doesn't make 10. Collapse all in a single "creative" forum (or collapse the whole design category)

:arrow: Design/Tecnical: idem as above

:arrow: Getting started: What's the need for two separate forums? We could collapse to one. Also, there are still a General, Delphi and Freepascal forums, so this Getting Started could as well be cancelled for me.

:arrow: The AI category can be merged in a single forum. There are only 15 threads. They fit largely in a single page :P

:arrow: Input: same as AI. BTW it contains a single API-related forum.. I'll remove the category and make a single non API-related forum

:arrow: Network: as above. It's could be nice to have separated API and general forums, but thay have very small traffic so they could as well be collapsed in only one general forum

:arrow: Sound: this is a little more used, still, too many forums. No one uses BASS.

:arrow: Graphics: here i feel the missing of a general, non API-related forum where to talk about general 3d theory that could fit on both API. For examples particle engine, geometry, matrix, quaternions, how buffers work, etc etc.

:arrow: Tutorials and link: no more needed in the new site where we have apposite areas

:arrow: Marketing: not that useful, in my opinion could as well be deleted, but if someone find it interesting..

:arrow: Help me: this is non-sense for me :P All the site is an "help me" forum.. In fact, if you look into it you find almost everything.. I think it should be removed so that the questions are adressed to the right forum.

:arrow: I've noticed some posts on ODE and Newton physics engines. Maybe that need a forum ?

Ok that's it :P Now you can lunch your stones :right: :left:

PS Also, some more emoticons would be nice :P

Traveler
15-01-2005, 01:55 PM
I too agree. The idea of using many different forums seemed a nice idea at the time. However, the low number of (new) posts in those forums let me believe that they are in fact not really necessary.

I think it may be a good idea to have a poll about this.

WILL
15-01-2005, 10:30 PM
Thank you {MSX} foryou fine recommendations, I have not forgotten about this. We should do something to revamp the forums and make them work a little better in the new PGD site.

I have to come back to this however due to the fact that I have a full plate right now. BUT, I will discuss it with savage soon. Perhaps even this weekend if I can get in touch with him. He is a bit of a busy beaver himself mind you. ;)