PDA

View Full Version : video cards

anubis79
10-01-2004, 05:35 PM
I've used DelphiX since 6 months. But when I'm interested in it I heard Windows attached DirectDraw to Direct3D. My graphic project is used DirectDraw. I anxious if my project doesn't work productive with next (future) generation video cards. What do you think about that? I know DirectX version isn't important for future because it's based on COM object model but what about to video cards?

holybyte
12-01-2004, 03:25 PM
I think this is something to get angry about. Today newer GFX cards sometimes support the newest 3D techniques with hardware BUT they take no advantage of the latest, old VESA standard (3.0 ?). Currently I'm using a radeon gfx card. 3d capabilities : good; VESA 3.0 NO ! It's crazy.

As far as i know, the developers who want amazing 2D gfx will have to spend a lot of time to create filters that negate all that BLURTEXTURING stuff. I tested out gamevision sdk:
it's very fast and supports most blitting/scaling/rotating/transparency/alpha functions. But it has a main disadvantage, that DelphiX using DirectDraw has not. Every diplayed sprite is blured pixelmud.

It's really inacceptable that standards get outdated so fast. On my opinion VESA should be the standard for windows GUI. This would decrease all these display driver / gfx / monitor driver problems the user have to fight with. Windows/DirectX development has no CONTINUITY. Coming gfx hardware will have only poor 2D (hardware supported) features. Using a lot of roundabout ways 2D gfx can be possible on hardware that doesn't support former standards.

greetings
-------------------------------------------

anubis79
12-01-2004, 06:00 PM
Thank you holybyte. I agree you. Blur effect is always a problem in DirectDraw and in Direct3D there is a texturefilter call to avoid it. But in DirectDraw especially if source surface is smaller then destination surface, stretching is blurring so same users like me don't enjoy it. Because of this reason I have to place surface on system memory not video memory.