PDA

View Full Version : OS of the future ?

holybyte
17-01-2004, 07:51 PM
I experienced graphic errors or slow performance mostly on games using Windows, but i cannot really compare to other platforms. It's cruel that every time the user (customer) is forced to make these tunings or wait for a specific driver or a better tweak program.. or bugfix. Have you ever heard about such enourmous problems on Linux or other OSs ?

Can somebody give me advice, what is about about compatiblity, performance and support of graphic/sound hardware on other OSs.
:?:

Harry Hunt
17-01-2004, 08:20 PM
If you switch to Linux, you won't experience those kinds of problems anymore. But that's only because there are hardly any commercial games for Linux. In my opinion, Linux is cool. I runs faster than Windows, is more stable (if you use a graphical user interface, you'll have to compromise some of the stability though) and it's open source of course. However, the lack of commercial software is a serious problem and of course there are a lot more people who use Windows, so if you're an indepedent game developer, you are sure to get more people to buy/download your game if it runs on the Windows platform.

holybyte
20-01-2004, 09:48 PM
Thanks for the advice Harry Hunt ! I'm hoping to convert soon..