PDA

View Full Version : DelphiX with D5 to UnDelphiX with D7

Crash
24-01-2004, 01:39 AM
Hi everybody.

I am working on a project since maybe 3 or 4 years to make a great RPG.

I have made this one with D5 and DelphiX...

But now with the new version of DirectX it appears that somes computers run my game with somes difficulties.

I have heard of UnDelphiX and i now knew that there is a version for D7 that seems to be great to resolve my problems. So im asking here to know if you think it's a good idea to transfert my project in D7 and if you think it'll correct somes weird thing that my current game made some times.

Here's one of the most current 'thing' : The game load and all goes well until i load somes maps (until the game realy begin). In that time on some computer (almost XP with the newest DirectX) it become REALY SLOW. I cannot call that lag because its almost too slow for that word lol

So, write down what you think i should do... Because tranfert my game from D5 to D7 will be a lot of work and i don't realy want to do this for nothing. But if this can make my game realy more powerfull and compatible with most computers, i'll do it for sure!

(Sorry for my english, i did my best... I think it'll do) :P

Crash
24-01-2004, 03:12 AM
In fact my rpg is quite complete (all the engine are ready and operational to make the story line and complete the entire game). I use (for now) DelphiX in my game only for the Intro, the menu and the map engine. All are in 2D, in the old style like Snes RPG (FF, BoF...)

I have pass many many MANY hours to do all the stuff i need to made a RPG. So i'll be sad if i can't complete this one in a version that will run on almost every new computers.

On my computer it work all #1 but on other computers it begin to be more complicated to run it correctly. My biggest problem if the frame rate on maybe 10% of the computers i have tested... It make the game realy slow... Not playable at all! I need help to make the best decision.

I can stay in D5 but the % of computer that cannot run my game correctly will make me more sad day by day... If D7 and the new version of UnDelphiX is a great solution, i will make it! Everything to make my game more compatible ;)

I read in other topics that some problem of framerate dropping can exist so this is maybe the source of my major problem.

By the way thankx to the one who make this forum... I think you've find another active member :) I can come here everyday... I have learn DelphiX all by myself with the 'exemples' projects 4 years ago and it take me a while to be at my best with all the concepts. If i can help someone here i'll do my best!

Anyway, thx to those who will answer me, i think i need it this time ;) I hope your reply will help me to make the best decision... A huge application is not something that we take from D5 to D7 without any gain possibility :P

Crash
24-01-2004, 04:48 AM
If you want to see what my RPG is like... And maybe what kind of 'lag' i talk about before... You can download one demo Beta version here :

http://www.chez.com/hakz/download/LoK_Beta25.zip

Like i said this is not a complete game but a test version for all my engines. The game is in French with some english words (like weapon's name)... Even if you don't understand french you'll be able to test my RPG easily.

The only think i've not done like i probably should in my map engine is to use the colision. I have some problem with the concept and so i made my own 'colision system' that i call by myself on the DoMove event. Maybe not the better way, but at least it work well and i understand what im doing when i use it lol ;)

So this is it... I wait for reply.

holybyte
24-01-2004, 08:06 AM
UnDelphiX for DX7 runs fine on XP.

Concerning DirectX + the latest WIN trouble, if you want to make a serious change then convert to opengl.

For a few days i decided to convert my 2d spriteengine, now most things run fine and everything has taken a great speed up. A long time i thought No - i don't need that 3d stuff for my sprite based games. But switching to opengl for 2d purposes is really easy and worth doing!
---------------------
Personally i like DelphiX and it's comfortable usage but dislike the trouble that microsoft provides. XP was a mistake !
:pirate:

holybyte
24-01-2004, 08:33 AM
If you want to see what my RPG is like... And maybe what kind of 'lag' i talk about before... You can download one demo Beta version here : [..]
:D
Wow, just tasted your game. I choosed to be a black knight. It looks like "Shining Force 2" for sega genesis.
no trouble happend. The XP hardware drivers occur most trouble.. that has nothing to do with the DX version used.

Traveler
24-01-2004, 01:35 PM
I doubt a rewrite to D7 with undelphiX will do the trick. I suspect the problem lies elsewhere, like for example drivers. I have tried your game using XP (ati radeon 8500) and it worked great. No slowdowns whatsover. (Well except when a battle was about to happen, but I asume thats normal.)

There was a topic (http://terraqueous.f2o.org/dgdev/viewtopic.php?t=180&highlight=slow+nvidia)about slowdowns some time ago. Perhaps it might shed some light on your problem as well.

Crash
24-01-2004, 07:13 PM
Thankx for the quick reply ;)

So it's the video drivers that seems to push dramaticaly the fps rates... Damn! I don't like feel like i can do nothing to make my applications more compatible :(

No slowdowns whatsover. (Well except when a battle was about to happen, but I asume thats normal.)

Traveler, In fact on my computer all goes well without even a simple bug. But i am now trying to test it on some computers to make sure it works well anywhere. Like i said, the only bug that seems to appear sometimes is the slow down of frames rates (that makes even the complete game lag and the tile of the hero takes even a minute to walk accros ONE tile (32*32)! :shock:

But, for most information, what kind of 'slowdown' are you talking about ? 1 second? or more? heh, hope it's not more :) It'll be quite normal to see some lag when the combat arrive because of the mass of code that the Combat engine must run :P But it's not suppose to spend more than a second.

I found somes RPG game link in the forum, i'll try them all and maybe it'll give me some concept idea.

If you see some other bogues in my RPG you can always contact me at kevin_lavallee@hotmail.com

It's a new version and i made some version big change (like use somes *.Bin files who contain all informations that need the game and some engine to easily edit them ;) )

I'll try to update the video drivers on the computer that make me 'see of my own eyes' the FPS-dropping bug. I'll post back to give you news! 8)

Crash
25-01-2004, 03:37 AM
I think you're right about the source of the problem... It's realy the video card drivers!!

Today i had put my Cpu on W2k Pro (and so on). With the old version video card all goes well and my RPG was working without a bug.

But then i had updated my Nvidia drivers to the newest available... "Doh :( " Now the full screen doesn't work anymore and there's some anormal things that occur when i run my RPG! :cry:

It sounds bad for me because it means that if someone want to play to my RPG he will maybe have to search a lot for more old driver versions...

*sigh* Well... Hope it'll not stop my determination to finish my RPG this year... :?

Traveler
25-01-2004, 04:00 PM
But, for most information, what kind of 'slowdown' are you talking about ? 1 second? or more? heh, hope it's not more It'll be quite normal to see some lag when the combat arrive because of the mass of code that the Combat engine must run But it's not suppose to spend more than a second.

Yes, one or two seconds sounds about right. It felt quite normal though, not like a bug or anything. Perhaps you could add a messagebox saying 'Preparing battlefield' or something like that.