PDA

View Full Version : PGDmC: The Ancient Tower

Daikrys
11-07-2011, 10:27 PM
Hey Guys,

havent been here a while :)

lucky that the final date is now the 16. and i can still participate on the mini-comp!
i was thinking what is possible and i came up with alot of ideas at weekend, sort them and pick one :)

what idea can it be? its a Tower Climbing game for real arcade junkies :>
cant imagine what a will look like? mmh i got some hours to spend today and can finally show a screenshot after around 6hours of work (or maybe its already friday and i forgot the time...)

http://www.novastern.net/stuff/screenshot01.jpg

i will post the game description document tomorrow and maybe put the gamedocument online after the competition

EDIT:
oh i forgot, there is still alot of work i have to do like:
-creating more grafic assets
-create a lvl builder
-add some sound and music
-and some other stuff i forgot :)

WILL
11-07-2011, 11:03 PM
Hey nice concept so far. :) Looks like it'll be fun to play come judging time.

Oh and you actually have until the 17th of July. Which is one more day if you need to tweak or add anything last minute. ;)

Daikrys
11-07-2011, 11:17 PM
oh thanks Will and nice to hear that, tweaking last minute is my job so far :D

i just think about to make the tower smaller so youre forced to jump more often, another way would be to make the hero faster
hard decision but hopefully trial'n error will do the job

Winwardo
12-07-2011, 06:27 PM
Heh that's looking cool so far, loving the little blobs and coins - although is that a Mario cloud I see hanging around in there? ;)
Can't wait to play it

paul_nicholls
12-07-2011, 08:47 PM
Nice! looks like it will be fun :)

cheers,
Paul

Daikrys
12-07-2011, 08:59 PM
hey thank you, yip the coins too :)
but i plan to do my own when i got time

today i took a day free, hope i can work some hours tomorrow ;)

EDIT:
to slow in posting :D
thanks paul

paul_nicholls
12-07-2011, 09:06 PM
Don't forget if you want to add some sound effects, you can use sfxr:
http://www.drpetter.se/project_sfxr.html

A free sound effect generation program :)

cheers,
Paul

Daikrys
13-07-2011, 09:34 PM
hey thx paul, i already planned to use sfxr for jump and collect sounds but never tested the app yet

today i got some hours and finished the "lvl editor" and the lvl build algorithm
the editor is just a .txt file x)
and the algorithm was needed cause i want only an endless mode for the mini-comp version

and btw. Will can you please change my topic title and add "PGDmC:" there? dont know how i can do this by myself

paul_nicholls
13-07-2011, 10:42 PM
hey thx paul, i already planned to use sfxr for jump and collect sounds but never tested the app yet

I've used sfxr for at least 3 of my gaming projects now so far...works well for what it does :)

cheers,
Paul

Ñuño Martínez
15-07-2011, 07:41 AM
Me likes it. :D

WILL
15-07-2011, 03:23 PM
and btw. Will can you please change my topic title and add "PGDmC:" there? dont know how i can do this by myself
Done. :) You should be able to go to the forum that contains the thread and double-click on the space just right of your topic. It'll then turn into a edit box and you can alter it.

That's how I did it anyhow.

Daikrys
15-07-2011, 06:13 PM
i was sure it is some kind of magic but okay its just cheating! ;)

atm im really pissed cause my code wont compile and i dont know why
i just compiled it wednesday and it all worked perfect, today i start my delphi and it throw out an error
i mean how can it be? im 100% sure i closed delphi after i compile last time

EDIT:
oh kay...found the error, glad that i found it so quickly
the game missed a file (it was anyway not used atm) and throw out and error about position instead of file not found

Daikrys
15-07-2011, 10:23 PM
hey if you want to have a sneak peek at my awesome editor and would know if you can handle it i have a nice screenshot :)

http://www.novastern.net/stuff/editorsneakpeek.png

i was on to make a real one but textfiles come very handy for my game so there isnt actually one
still plan to make a second edition of the game after the mini challenge and maybe there will be an easy to handle editor with handy userinterface

WILL
15-07-2011, 11:57 PM
Notepad := 'Best editor ever!';

:)

Daikrys
17-07-2011, 09:02 PM
yay its done!

i uploaded my game to the mini-comp ftp, you can also find one on my own server at:
www.novastern.net/games/tower.zip

i dont got all features planned for the first edition done but i hope i can soon publish the second edition with all the nice things

the grafic isnt very smooth but it will do the job, same goes for coding
all creating stuff was done in about 19-20hours over one week, sadly i dont record the time i used for coding, grafics and lvlcreation individually
lucky me i dont needed to write a gamedocument cause i was alone and the projectsize was manageable with pure brainpower!

EDIT:
i uploaded a small fix for one of the lvlfiles

Winwardo
18-07-2011, 03:01 PM
Oh my this game is great!
The music is great, the graphics are cute and it's such a simple concept!

I think you're definitely a shoe in for the top 3 :D

Daikrys
18-07-2011, 06:06 PM
hey thanks dude :)
i found out that lvlsection 3 still need a small fix or is it just me who always fall down at the same spot?
the music is nice indeed but not done by me cause i got no time left for this
credit for music goes to andromeda@

EDIT:
uploaded a new fixed version for lvlsection 3
as always my own server has the latest version at www.novastern.net/games/tower.zip

Traveler
18-07-2011, 06:37 PM
This is a pretty nice game. It would go great on a mobile or something. I had the distinct feeling however, that some platforms were impossible to reach.
So you say you started around the 15th, right? That's not bad, not bad at all.

Daikrys
18-07-2011, 07:37 PM
hey thanks :)

yeah i hope the fix work now
hmm yip mobile would be fine havent think of it but if i would use a small shake to jump it would be nice on an iphone :)

So you say you started around the 15th, right? That's not bad, not bad at all.

nono i started at 11th but wasnt able to work every day on it but i count the hours i spend on working (this includes problem solving of difficult stuff in my mind)
anyway i started to think about some ideas the week before with the old deadline when i wasnt able to compete

EDIT:
oh and if someone have count the hours he spend on the game it would be nice to know too

jxs
19-07-2011, 03:14 PM
A pitty I couldn't really play your game, because when I tried it the character was just running whhoooosh.. to fast. I don't think it was intended to be that hard ;) However I ran your game in Wine on Linux, so maybe that's the reason.
Maybe I will try it again later on Windows.
Other than that your graphics look amazing, absolutely professional. I'm really curious how you create them?

oh and if someone have count the hours he spend on the game it would be nice to know too
I mainly worked on my entry during 4 whole days

Daikrys
19-07-2011, 05:32 PM
Other than that your graphics look amazing, absolutely professional. I'm really curious how you create them?

hey thanks i cheated! only a bit ;)

for my character i used the free tool at http://www.famitsu.com/freegame/tool/chibi/index2.html
i bet no one get that my avatar is actually a she ;D
for the walls i created one block and done all wall graphics out of this little block
the slime was done with nice samples i found on google and deviantart
and finally the coin was a free to use sprite without any licensing so i only slightly modified it

deviantart and sometimes google is a nice way to research for art (there are many more nice art communitys out there)