PDA

View Full Version : tried Delphi8?

strangerranger
14-03-2004, 01:04 PM
This forum doesn't seem to be frequented very often...
Anyway: has anyone managed to use powerdraw3pre with Delphi8?

The new Delphi looks quite promising, would be a shame if I couldn't use it just because powerdraw wouldn't cooperate.

Cheers,
strangerranger

LP
14-03-2004, 04:33 PM
We were planning to have support for Delphi .NET in Asphyre, but we decided to wait until Delphi 8 becomes more stable and the DirectX Managed documentation becomes much better than it is now. About a month ago we tried Delphi8 and found the following issues:
1) documentation, even the one from Delphi8 was very poor, compared to well-known previous Delphi documentations
2) Delphi 8 was quite unstable, even with all the patches Borland has (not counting that its editor interface was getting slow and buggy with large code). Interesting, but it's the best code editing interface I've seen so far... I hope they will get it working properly one day...
3) DirectX Managed documentation was VERY weak (not counting that it's very difficult to setup on a machine with only Delphi 8 .NET installed), considering that for last years DirectX documentation was very resourceful. However, it might get better in future.

The first Asphyre release won't support Delphi 8. As for running PowerDraw3 there - it's incompatible.

Clootie
14-03-2004, 05:48 PM
You propably need to revisit it:
1) Just few days ago Delphi8 Update Pack2 is released
2) IIRC less than month ago updated documentation for managed DirectX released

Althrow in mine opinion both still have to grow...

LP
14-03-2004, 06:45 PM
I'm aware of Managed DirectX docs update; as for Delphi8 Update Pack2 - this would probably be quite useful :wink:

Thanks, Clootie!