PDA

View Full Version : Excellent timing!

Alimonster
18-03-2004, 11:03 PM
Warning: this post contains a random assortment of thoughts and comments, so do not try to place them into any sensible order.

It seems that my web site is finally up again after a few weeks of "permission denied" messages. However, you have to congratulate the host on his timing: it's back up today, but my registration on the domain ends tomorrow, by which time the site will probably vanish once again. :roll: I think I may change to a different host. :P

In the spirit of creating a totally random message...:

I had conjunctivitis, or at some eye infection with similar symptoms, over the past week. I am better now and I can now see enemies when I play games online, which helps. :) Unreal Tournament 2003 is a very cool game indeed. If you see anyone playing (usually on Instagib servers) by the name of JakeFortitude then that's me! Huzzah for timewasters.

I've been bone-idle about programming recently, but in my defence I am getting past it - it's my birthday today (18th) and I now should be old and creaky.

My site is undergoing mucho fiddling on localhost and I hope to make it look a bit nicer (plus PHP and database driven to make it easier for me to play with). I don't know when the new site will be uploaded (I'll have to get a host first) but it will be soon. The new site will probably have lots of placeholder pages for a while.

Lastly, I anxiously await Thief 3 (http://www.thief3.org) and Half-Life 2. Hurry up, damn your eyes! :x

cairnswm
19-03-2004, 05:51 AM
I've always enjoyed your site and am certainly looking forward to it being available again!

Useless Hacker
19-03-2004, 09:22 AM
Hope you had a nice birthday. I had my 19th on Tuesday. :P

I haven't done much Delphi or game programming recently; though at uni they have been teaching us the delights of C :!: I spend a large proportion of my time playing America's Army online though :)

cairnswm
19-03-2004, 11:04 AM
Youngsters!

Alimonster
20-03-2004, 12:05 PM
Right, I've uploaded the test design (http://www.alistairkeys.co.uk/test) for my new site layout (you may well recognise it from a while ago). It's only been tested in Mozilla Firebird and IE 6 at the moment, so it'd be good if you could keep that in mind while viewing the site. Could people please give me their opinion on the design of the site, please (rather than technical comments that I'd get around to fixing in time anyway)?

I'm aware of one issue with IE 6 - pages with a vertical scrollbar also get a horizontal scrollbar for some reason, which makes the margins go off a bit to the right hand side. Ignore that for now please.

The page looks best in Firebird at the moment, although I expect Opera to be able to output much the same once I get my hands on that browser (the last time I checked, it only had a few glitches here and there, but that was a while ago).

Paulius
20-03-2004, 04:06 PM
Nice and clean. With opera margins go off too and the menu multiplies infinitively.

cairnswm
23-03-2004, 06:30 AM
Looks nice - I like the look and feel of portals rather than web sites so I'm biased already against it :)

I have a question for you: Like you I try and share the information I have quite a lot - this means I write articles and tutorials - but as a memeber of DGDev I sort of feel bad If I do not put those tutorials on DGDev. When will you be putting articles on your web site as opposed to putting them on DGDev - especially when we have the new site ready?

Alimonster
23-03-2004, 08:11 AM
menu multiplies infinitively
Wow, sounds like quite a bug! I'll have to have a look at this one.

Looks nice - I like the look and feel of portals rather than web sites so I'm biased already against it :)

I have a question for you: Like you I try and share the information I have quite a lot - this means I write articles and tutorials - but as a memeber of DGDev I sort of feel bad If I do not put those tutorials on DGDev. When will you be putting articles on your web site as opposed to putting them on DGDev - especially when we have the new site ready?
I'll hopefully be putting the tutorials up in both my site and DGDev (perhaps in a slightly altered format one way or another).

WILL
24-03-2004, 12:00 AM
:D Happy Belated Birthday Ali!!!! :D

;)