PDA

View Full Version : TGA Loader

Zanthos
19-03-2004, 12:30 PM
I'm working on a simple TGA loader which can import 24 and 32Bit RGB and RLE encoded images. Additionally, for images that don't have alpha channels, I'm fiddling around with a custom alpha channel creator, which uses callback-functions for calculating custom alpha values, or being able to select an R G or B channel as your alpha channel data.

Currently only 24bit RLE and RGB encoding is supported, more to follow :)

You can pick it up from my website

JernejL
26-12-2004, 09:10 PM
*bump*

any progress on this?

Lightning
29-12-2004, 03:27 PM
Check www.delphi3d.net they have a verry good .tga loader.
Why reinvent the wheel when there are already some verry good OpenSource projects like this.

cragwolf
05-05-2005, 11:55 AM
Check www.delphi3d.net they have a verry good .tga loader.
Why reinvent the wheel when there are already some verry good OpenSource projects like this.

Because it is a tga reader only, and not a tga writer. Because it has some bugs. Because maybe he can write a faster version. Because maybe he can write a cross-platform, cross-compiler version. Because he enjoys it. Lots of reasons. :lol:

Lightning
19-07-2005, 04:59 PM
Sorry for the late reply.
I didn't find any bugs with the delphi3d TGA2 loader wich is also quite fast so you must be talking about the old one, also Zanthos's loader doesn't seem verry advanced from what he says, the special alpha channel he is trying to make is something new though, his website seems to be down so i can't test.

cragwolf
02-08-2005, 01:17 AM
I didn't find any bugs with the delphi3d TGA2 loader...

So what? I couldn't find grizzly bears when I visited the Canadian Rockies.

... wich is also quite fast so you must be talking about the old one...

There are bugs in the horizontal and vertical flip routines which can cause entire rows of pixels to be put in the wrong place.

WILL
02-08-2005, 01:41 AM
So what? I couldn't find grizzly bears when I visited the Canadian Rockies.

Brother, a black bear is enough. :P And I've met one... briefly... then I un-met him fast! Luckily, he didn't see me... :shock:

Any updates to this TGA reader/writer as of yet?

I often wonder why some people never post these projects on a site of some kind where the finder of such items can contact the author if need be, or simply be able to obtain updated copies. I guess thats why sites like Torry's and Delphi Super Pages were made.

LP
09-08-2005, 03:42 PM
If nobody noticed, since the first version Asphyre (PowerDraw) came with TGA loader. 24-bit, 32-bit, RLE, mirrored, flipped TGAs supported. MPL license. Why reinvent the wheel?

XProger
08-02-2006, 01:16 PM
http://xproger.mirgames.ru/files/lib/targa.rar

Murmandamus
14-05-2006, 12:50 PM
If nobody noticed, since the first version Asphyre (PowerDraw) came with TGA loader. 24-bit, 32-bit, RLE, mirrored, flipped TGAs supported. MPL license. Why reinvent the wheel?

Why is it necessary to ask why?

People like to code. One solution may not be optimal. Sometimes one learns by doing something that has been done before.

Why write any code at all? I am sure there's someone out there who wrote just about every piece of code to do any particular thing by now.

I "rewrite the wheel" all the time for a myriad of reasons, including just sating the need to see if I can "climb that mountiain".