• Recent Tutorials

  • Delphi XE Starter Edition Finally Here!

    It's finally here! The Delphi user community has been waiting for a long time for the return of a slimmer edition of the infamous tool and now finally it's here. Have you been dying to try Delphi XE, but don't have thousands of dollars to play with?

    Then Delphi XE Starter Edition is for you!

    It costs only $199 US Dollars from Embarcadero's online store. ($198.45 CAD, $199 EUR, $259 AUD and 142) This great new offer is much more affordable than the Professional and Architect editions.

    Here is some of what the new product description says on the company's website...

    Quote Originally Posted by Embarcadero Website
    Getting started on realizing your product vision or getting your startup off the ground can be difficult without seed capital or sales revenue. Outfitting developers with professional level tools can be cost prohibitive before you have product to sell. So the Delphi Starter Edition is both designed and priced to allow individuals and startups to bootstrap their vision until related revenues reach $1,000 at which point a specially priced Professional Edition license can be purchased.

    So, if youre an individual you may use Starter Edition to create apps for your own use and apps that you can sell until your revenues reach $1,000 per year. If youre a small company or organization without revenue (or up to $1,000 per year in revenue), you can also use the Starter Edition. Once your company's total revenue reaches US $1,000, or your team expands to more than 5 developers, you can move up to an unrestricted commercial license with a specially priced Professional edition license.
    Read more about Embarcadero's latest low cost edition of Delphi at www.embarcadero.com!



    Introduction to Delphi Starter Edition Video


    Happy developing!
    Comments 41 Comments
    1. chronozphere's Avatar
      chronozphere -
      This is very good news. Allthough I think 200€ is quite alot.

      If it was 100€, I'd really consider buying it. Also the 1000$ limit may be a bit restrictive. Does anyone know which license you have to buy if your income is higher than that?

      Edit:
      I think I understand why it's 200€. It's because when you buy an XE license, you will get all the older versions (7, 2007-2010) for free.
    1. paul_nicholls's Avatar
      paul_nicholls -
      Quote Originally Posted by chronozphere View Post
      This is very good news. Allthough I think 200Ǩ is quite alot.

      If it was 100Ǩ, I'd really consider buying it. Also the 1000$ limit may be a bit restrictive. Does anyone know which license you have to buy if your income is higher than that?

      Edit:
      I think I understand why it's 200Ǩ. It's because when you buy an XE license, you will get all the older versions (7, 2007-2010) for free.
      If I recall correctly, back when I started University (1996) I got an academic version of Delphi 1 (I think) for just over $100 AUD...

      So I think that is a good price in retrospect

      cheers,
      Paul
    1. Traveler's Avatar
      Traveler -
      Sigh, when do they learn. Euro does NOT equal dollar
    1. pstudio's Avatar
      pstudio -
      IMO 200€ is still a lot. Of course its accessible now but why would a new comer buy this edition if he can get Visual Express for free? I understand Embarcardero can't give it away for free, but I feel this offer will only be attractive for existing Pascal users and it won't bring new people to the community.
      And the 1000$ revenue limit seems quite strict.

      But this is of course a nice start from Embarcadero to make Delphi more accessible for the hobby developer.
    1. WILL's Avatar
      WILL -
      Yeah the price difference does seem a tad off. For example Canadians seem to be getting the best deal out of the bunch.

      Visual Express is not as good as Delphi (or C Builder if you go that way) and it's not nearly as nice or easy to use in designing Applications. The value of buying a Delphi edition is that you can do so much more and the developer support is so much better with much better tools.

      As far as the revenue limit goes. I think it's smart. Should you make over $1000 that year, your game is obviously doing well enough that you can afford to flip for the Professional Edition and license, considering the fact that you obviously are out to make money. However if you are just making freeware games or other software and keep your team to 5 developers, then it's reasonable that you only need the Starter Edition. I think it's a fair deal and a great opportunity to get started if you want to make games for profit. Otherwise it's a good deal for those who didn't need all the big bells and whistles that huge software houses want, but wanted the same tools that the greater Object Pascal development community have grown to love.
    1. Stoney's Avatar
      Stoney -
      Yeah, the 1000$ restriction seems quite strict to me as well, as the price difference between Starter to Professional is still quite high.

      Still, I might consider buying the Starter edition in the future. I'm quite sure Delphi XE won't really work on my netbook whereas I get an acceptable performance with Lazarus.
    1. paul_nicholls's Avatar
      paul_nicholls -
      I don't know about Delphi XE, but Delphi 2010 runs quite well on my laptop, it just takes a while to start up though

      cheers,
      Paul
    1. Murmandamus's Avatar
      Murmandamus -
      I'm glad to see them coming to their senses a bit finally, but I am not too sure about the $1000 restriction. I mean, you make $1000 with the tool, great! Now pay all or most of it back to Embarcadero. Not sure what the value add is there. If you don't *need* the more expensive versions, the only point to paying more is the "Success Tax". I don't know about anyone else, but that gives me kind of a queasy feeling in my gut.

      How I long for the days of Turbo Pascal.. $99.95 MSRP for a wildly successful product line. No limits, no gimmicks, No-Nonsense License Agreement. *sigh*

      I guess I will stick with FP/L for now. :-/
    1. LP's Avatar
      LP -
      Quote Originally Posted by chronozphere View Post
      I think I understand why it's 200Ǩ. It's because when you buy an XE license, you will get all the older versions (7, 2007-2010) for free.
      Actually no, you don't get other Delphi versions if you buy Starter (check the accompanying FAQ, they clarify this).

      I think it's too expensive. $200 for a product that you can use for freeware only ($1000 annual limit is $83/month, which is nothing) is a non-sense. If you don't do commercial apps or your revenue is too low (I bet you die of hunger if you gain $1000 annually or less), just download warez version - they can't sue you if you have no profit. ...or keep using Turbo Delphi.

      Unless Embarcadero releases 64-bit version of Delphi and/or Mac OS version (both of which were promised as mentioned in WILL's post), I think after purchasing CodeGear they are just sucking in every penny they can get from the existing developers who still use or want to use Delphi.
    1. Murmandamus's Avatar
      Murmandamus -
      They most certainly *can* sue you over using a warez version, even if you make no profit. Copyright infringement doesn't require making a profit for it to be illegal and making you subject to criminal and civil suits.

      Turbo Delphi Explorer 2006 is pretty badly crippled anyway; you can't add your own components to it.
    1. LP's Avatar
      LP -
      Quote Originally Posted by Murmandamus View Post
      They most certainly *can* sue you over using a warez version, even if you make no profit. Copyright infringement doesn't require making a profit for it to be illegal and making you subject to criminal and civil suits.
      The actual interpretation of this is subject to an individual country. If you don't distribute copyrighted works and are not making derivative works based on the copyrighted work then it's quite a conflicting matter. Considering Delphi XE starter is for entertainment and for learning purposes only, that version and a pirated version seem to have much in common. Both are useless except for playing around in your house by yourself.

      Quote Originally Posted by Murmandamus View Post
      Turbo Delphi Explorer 2006 is pretty badly crippled anyway; you can't add your own components to it.
      Seems like quite an inexperienced statement. Are you an Embarcadero employee from marketing department or something? Because I've developed Asphyre for many years in Turbo Delphi and developed Wicked Defense 1, Wicked Defense 2 and Aztlan Dreams with it. Doesn't seem very crippled, does it?
    1. Murmandamus's Avatar
      Murmandamus -
      Actually, most countries who are signatory to the Berne Convention already view infringement without profit as actionable.

      No, my statement is correct, and comes from experience. I have installed and used the Turbo Delphi Explorer 2006 free product, and it DOES indeed have a third-party component limitation.

      You're likely talking about Turbo Delphi PROFESSIONAL 2006. The paid-for version obviously does not have this limitation.

      No, I don't work for Embarcadero, CodeGear, Borland, or any other company whose hands Delphi has passed through. Just a long-time Pascal developer since the Turbo 1.0 days.
    1. Murmandamus's Avatar
      Murmandamus -
      But, don't take my word for it; Dr. Bob is an unimpeachable resource for the same information:

      http://www.drbob42.com/examines/examin81.htm
    1. LP's Avatar
      LP -
      Quote Originally Posted by Murmandamus View Post
      No, my statement is correct, and comes from experience. I have installed and used the Turbo Delphi Explorer 2006 free product, and it DOES indeed have a third-party component limitation.
      In addition to dropping components on the form from the component palette, you can also create them at run-time, which Delphi Explorer allows. It may come as surprise, but the majority of application is not made just by dropping components on the form.
    1. WILL's Avatar
      WILL -
      The $1000 profit limit does seem to add some uncertainty for those who wish to sell their games made with it. I can see everyone's point. However if, like most Delphi users I know of in this community, you are a user who just makes the games for fun and for the enjoyment of making the games, competing in competitions and such then It's just a better deal for a new version of the same tool.

      I may do a little bit of looking into the $1000 profit limit and see exactly what the regulation is. That is to say, if it's a license limitation or a guideline.

      That said... it seems that there is a lot of interesting information about it in the FAQ page they set up for it.

      For example; as stated on their website, existing Lazarus users can get the discounted Upgrade pricing for Delphi XE Starter Edition. You do not need an existing version of any of the software to install it either.

      Also if you have Starter and want to upgrade to Professional (or any of the other versions) later, you get the upgrade price discount. So in the case of you selling software and making a profit of more then $1000 USD (for example) you won't nessissarily give all your profits away just to be at a higher license bracket. You'll still be up by a few hundred, depending on your country's currency value.

      Read more about this stuff right here: http://www.embarcadero.com/products/delphi/starter-faq

      Honestly though, unless you are really unlucky, those of you who get serious about selling your games, $1000 is not a very big goal. I would think that most "indies" will not sell many if any games using this or any version and the few that do are either going to be very serious about making a bigger profit than $1000 and the cost of both the Starter and eventually the Professional editions of Delphi will be a part of the investment.

      Those of you developers who don't really plan on selling games, rejoice! A cheaper version of Delphi you can actually afford!
    1. Murmandamus's Avatar
      Murmandamus -
      Quote Originally Posted by Lifepower View Post
      In addition to dropping components on the form from the component palette, you can also create them at run-time, which Delphi Explorer allows. It may come as surprise, but the majority of application is not made just by dropping components on the form.
      Sure, you can, if you are a masochist and want to place and set visual component properties by typing in code. Makes the whole point of RAD kinda useless, no?
    1. Murmandamus's Avatar
      Murmandamus -
      Quote Originally Posted by WILL View Post
      I may do a little bit of looking into the $1000 profit limit and see exactly what the regulation is. That is to say, if it's a license limitation or a guideline.
      Technically, it is not $1000 in profit, but $1000 in revenue. So, if you developed a project for someone that cost you $1000 in other licenses or other development expenses, and just passed those costs along to the client, then you'd be required to buy an upgraded license.

      I don't know if it is something that they are planning to strictly enforce or not, but who wants to take chances? I don't see the point in coming up with that restriction and then not bothering to enforce it, though; it would come off as not a little disingenuous.

      For example; as stated on their website, existing Lazarus users can get the discounted Upgrade pricing for Delphi XE Starter Edition. You do not need an existing version of any of the software to install it either.
      That part is interesting; they are targeting the Lazarus market. I mean, it's not really much of a qualification. Technically, "everyone" is a potential "Lazarus user", since it is FOSS. Same with Eclipse.

      Also if you have Starter and want to upgrade to Professional (or any of the other versions) later, you get the upgrade price discount. So in the case of you selling software and making a profit of more then $1000 USD (for example) you won't nessissarily give all your profits away just to be at a higher license bracket. You'll still be up by a few hundred, depending on your country's currency value.
      Well, I think the issue is more a matter of need, at least in my eyes. If the "Starter Edition" does everything I need it to do, and I have no need for the Professional or higher editions; what's the value add? Am I just paying another $400 (upgrade price for Professional, the next lowest priced version) for shelfware?

      I suppose it could be argued that they are trying out the "royalty" model, in a similar but not same way as Unity 3D or Torque's model. Pay a little now, and if you make it big, then we get a cut. Granted that $400 isn't going to break anyone that is actually going to be making more money in the future, but it's just the initial "taste" it leaves on the palette knowing that there's a sword of Damocles hanging over my head.

      Outside of that, yeah, the $149 price tag is pretty affordable.
    1. LP's Avatar
      LP -
      Quote Originally Posted by Murmandamus View Post
      Sure, you can, if you are a masochist and want to place and set visual component properties by typing in code. Makes the whole point of RAD kinda useless, no?
      Please learn what "RAD" means before writing angry statements. Hint: Wikipedia on "RAD".

      Rapid application development (RAD) refers to a type of software development methodology that uses minimal planning in favor of rapid prototyping. The "planning" of software developed using RAD is interleaved with writing the software itself. The lack of extensive pre-planning generally allows software to be written much faster, and makes it easier to change requirements.
      So as you see, again, dropping components on the form is not the only ingredient of RAD and is actually a small part of application development. RAD is a methodology where you quickly make a semi-working application (or a "prototype") and then keep refining it, instead of using more conservative approaches such as Waterfall Model.

      Actually, creating components in run-time is easy and sometimes even necessary in certain applications. Sure, Turbo Explorer does not allow installing third-party VCL components. However, this does not cripple it so much, especially for game development. The components it has are quite enough for even large applications and those that are missing can be added at run-time (which usually are really a few, if any).

      Please do not be upset. I just pointed that your ill-advertisement of Turbo Delphi being crippled in favor of Delphi XE Starter was flawed. My opinion about Embarcadero still stands that their actions are based on corporate greed and not in favor of the developers, especially "indies". Perhaps I was harsh in my first comment, but still, I think it's a marketing strategy aimed at increasing sales rather than assisting those who cannot afford to pay $899 for professional version. I think Delphi XE Starter should either be free and have $1000 budget limitation, or be $200-paid version which has no budget limitations; having both limitations makes it entertainment-only version that can be used only for developing freeware (or for that matter, shareware which will have minimal sales, not making it worth of being shareware).

      The only thing I can think of that can be useful out of Delphi XE Starter is reducing risks at developing shareware that will be a failure. So, the project fails and you don't have to pay another $499 for Delphi Professional upgrade. However, remember that when you start working on a project, paying $200 for developer tools is not the only investment you will make. The largest investment will be your development time, so if the shareware project fails, $500 not paid (the difference between Starter $200 and Professional $900) will not make much difference anymore.
    1. Murmandamus's Avatar
      Murmandamus -
      Quote Originally Posted by Lifepower View Post
      Please learn what "RAD" means before writing angry statements. Hint: Wikipedia on "RAD".
      Umm, dude, I know what RAD means, and that definition (despite being a Wikipedia article) supports exactly what I said.

      So as you see, again, dropping components on the form is not the only ingredient of RAD and is actually a small part of application development. RAD is a methodology where you quickly make a semi-working application (or a "prototype") and then keep refining it, instead of using more conservative approaches such as Waterfall Model.
      I never said it was "the only ingredient of RAD", but it is nonetheless an IMPORTANT ingredient. If I am spending more time trial-and-erroring the visual appearance of controls on a form via non-visual means, it isn't particularly "Rapid". RAD is not just the development paradigm, but also includes the tools which allow it to be used effectively.

      Actually, creating components in run-time is easy and sometimes even necessary in certain applications. Sure, Turbo Explorer does not allow installing third-party VCL components. However, this does not cripple it so much, especially for game development. The components it has are quite enough for even large applications and those that are missing can be added at run-time (which usually are really a few, if any).
      ..and I never said otherwise. What I said was placing and setting visual components on a form via code was masochistic, especially when the tool itself was designed to obviate having to do that in the first place. Hence, "crippled".

      I have a fairly extensive library of components that I have written and maintained since Delphi 1.0 for various projects. Most of them are visual, so not being able to drag/drop and design them and their properties as needed becomes a significant hindrance to "Rapid" development for me. Hence, again, "crippled".

      I also am looking to start designing custom UIs for games using special components, and I would like to be able to design them visually as well. It is why I am looking at Lazarus because I don't think what I am trying to do can be done by Delphi, but that's an ancillary issue. The point is that an inability to use the tool to its intended potential makes it "crippled", in my view. I understand that one can't expect to get everything for "free", but that doesn't change the fact that the tool's functionality was intentionally reduced.

      The reason I even mentioned it was because you (apparently; if I misunderstood the reference, I apologize) brought it up as an alternative to warezing Delphi. I don't consider it an alternative because it is "crippled". That doesn't mean that it is useless, just that there are significant impediments to using it in ways that people would expect to be able to use the tool for serious development. Of course, I also consider warezing Delphi as an impediment to serious development because of the baggage that represents in itself.

      I am happy that you found a way to make it useful without too much pain, but for what I was intending to use it for, it was a deal-breaker.

      Please do not be upset. I just pointed that your ill-advertisement of Turbo Delphi being crippled in favor of Delphi XE Starter was flawed.
      I'm not upset; I just don't agree with what you are saying and believe the facts support what I said. That said, if I had any reason to be upset, it would be because you went a little beyond just pointing out that my argument was flawed into a personal attack laced with condescension, but meh.. this is the Intarwebz.. I'm pretty used to that. Just kinda sad to see it here, is all. :-/

      As for the rest of what you say, it may be the case, I don't know. I don't think they see the bigger picture, either, which is why I have been spending more time with Lazarus and FP. Embarcadero isn't Microsoft; if FOSS ends up doing a better job at filling their niche than they do, then they'll not likely survive for the long term. Ultimately, I don't have a problem with them making their money; they can price and market their products any way they wish, including right out of the market. I am glad to see that they are making some effort in what I see as a positive direction for the language platform, though.
    1. LP's Avatar
      LP -
      Quote Originally Posted by Murmandamus View Post
      ... I don't consider it an alternative because it is "crippled". That doesn't mean that it is useless, just that there are significant impediments to using it in ways that people would expect to be able to use the tool for serious development....
      I mentioned the products I've developed with it as a proof otherwise. Delphi Explorer *can* be used for serious development.

      Also, this is a game development forum, so the context is developing games with Delphi. For that matter, the third-party VCL components won't be of any use since in DirectX/OpenGL environment they cannot be easily used.

      Quote Originally Posted by Murmandamus View Post
      I'm not upset; I just don't agree with what you are saying and believe the facts support what I said. That said, if I had any reason to be upset, it would be because you went a little beyond just pointing out that my argument was flawed into a personal attack laced with condescension, but meh.. this is the Intarwebz.. I'm pretty used to that. Just kinda sad to see it here, is all. :-/
      If something I said offended you, I apologize, it was never my intention. However, I did found several of your arguments somewhat weak and biased, which probably indicates that you simply didn't use (or try to use) Delphi Explorer for game development (remember, *context*, we're not talking about databases, web services and stuff), therefore lack the experience on that matter. I have shown you examples that this tool can be *effectively* used for developing games, 2D and 3D, without major overhead. Again, I can be wrong, but so can you.
Comodo SSL