Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: NEF

NEF

Quote Originally Posted by Paulius
    For me it exits on startup without showing any error messages or anything.
    Ouch. :? whats your system?

I'll test it out on different machines and do some debugging. I had a similar issue with a previouse version, after lots and lots of debugging and re-writing, I found out that a I/O bug caused the main timer interval to set to 0, so the whole demo played trough in 40ms...

EDIT: just sent the file to a couple of friends, apears to be running fine on AMD CPU, GForce4 Ti4400, WinXP and GForce4 ti4200, WinXP, P4 2.8

EDIT2: tested it on my laptop, (P4 2.53GHZ ATI Radeon Mobility 7500) won't run at all (same error you described)
    Also tested on a machine running ATI RADEON 64mb MyVivo, works just fine.
    BK - we.create (tm)

NEF

I get the same problem (immediate exit without any message).

Windows XP
    Athlon 2.4
    256Mbyte Radeon 9800 Pro (catalyst 4.3)
    Audigy 1
    DirectX 9.0b

Screen res: 1152x864x32
    "All paid jobs absorb and degrade the mind."
    <br />-- Aristotle

NEF

I just fixed the bug (I think). It now runs on my laptop, so I think I got it.
    The new file can be fetched here:

http://home.c2i.net/cmv/Player.zip[/url]
    BK - we.create (tm)

NEF

Well, I've done lots of stuff since my last post about this project. NEF has gone through a lot, and can now export to a pascal include which is compiled into a small template resulting in 63kb files with music. (MIDI ATM, softsynth under development) But, two days ago, I got a new idea, so I started from scratch.. Now I have a new working tool which uses a completely new method for the creation although it works the same way. Now the editing is done with blocks representing stuff in the render loop.

Here's a screeny:

And in case anyone wonders how the newest version of NEF1 looks:

EDIT: Some technical stuff:

NEF1:
    - Keyframing
    - Pascal include export
    - Realtime viewing while creating the intro
    - Layer-like building of the intro allowing combination of several scenes (patterns)
    - Can use .dll's for customized effects

NEF2:
    - Will have everything NEF1 has +++

The biggest different from NEF1 and NEF2, is that NEF2 allows linking of "building blocks", meaning you don't have to recreate a specific block, you just link them. It is also 100% OOP, while NEF1 was function based.
    BK - we.create (tm)

NEF

The werkkzeug has you

NEF

Paulius: No shit The werkkzeug and addict releases was mainly my motivation for doing a complete rewrite. The werkkzeug is simply amazing, and was definatly a great inspiration when doing this project. Actually, Chaos' seminar from asm03 gave me the inspiration I needed to start the whole thing
    BK - we.create (tm)

NEF

I need some help...
    I have dumped the rewrite and started working on the first version again.
    The thing is, I've been optimizing some stuff, and suddenly my exe has dropped to about 25kb with music. This is all well, but I don't get why. You see, no matter how big the MIDI resource is, the exe always comes out 25-26kb. :? I have an example intro created with the nef which I would be most greatfull if someone could test it to check that everything works.
    It contains three scenes, all of them looks quite awfull since I haven't started doing the effects yet

http://home.c2i.net/cmv/Intro.exe (26kb)

The Midi included is 68kb, and the player core alone should be around 20kb compressed, and the project include should add about 3-4kb to the compressed exe, so this is IMO a bit wierd seeing that MIDI doesn't pack _that_ well. It's compressed with UPX using the --best switch..
    BK - we.create (tm)

NEF

Works fine, and youre midi compresses quite great 67,5k to 2,23k zipped.

NEF

Thanks for testing it I'm glad it worked. Had some issues with the earlier versions. And I had no idea MIDI compressed that well.
    BK - we.create (tm)

NEF

Where did you get that midi file? I don't know much about midi format but the smallest I got was a minimalistic 7k compressing to 3,3k :scratch:

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast