Thread: Maximum Image Size (When using Andorra 2D, ... or any other, might be gpu limitation)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Maximum Image Size (When using Andorra 2D, ... or any other, might be gpu limitation)

Dear Forum,

I've created a nice little demo app with andorra 2d (just for fun...and to start learning) all was fine, on my computer GTX 285 it runs fine , I have some images PNG large as 620x6200 ( I have in this large PNG a lot of small images, it's a moving Moon,this is why it's so large). The same application even if I only try to load the resource file causes an access violation in AndorraDX93D.dll. Now I was trying to see if it's a limitation of the IGP on the Laptop Intel 945 , and tryied out various image sizes ... and it seems like 2048x2048 is the limit. Is there a way to bypass this ?

Greetings
    Robert

Solution

Meanwhile I was told that it must be the power of two

Max Image size for Integrated GPU's , tested on two laptops is 2048x2048

Greetings
    Rob

I guess these limitations are imposed by the hardware and memory management done by the driver. The only way to get around this, is to either upgrade your video hardware or to chop the picture into multiple parts.

There are some good programs that allow you to view the Direct3D/OpenGL capabilities. I believe some of them also show you these maximum texture size numbers.
    Coders rule nr 1: Face ur bugz.. dont cage them with code, kill'em with ur cursor.

I think the real solution is to find another way for the problem. 2048 is definitely a good maximum.

yeah i mean why should you use a texture bigger then 1024?
    youre 620x6200 example sounds like a map, such big images should be chopped
    its not only about the graphiccards maximum texture size its also useful for the GPU to reduce oversized textures to be rendered permanently

OK, so after reading a few docs and some older system specs... I think I'll stick to
    16x16,32x32,64x64,128x128 Images for Sprites.

My only other problem is (I'm confused) . If my game resolution is 640x480 ... and for now I've created a background image for the menu that is also 640x480 (but according to the Andorra 2d faq it's not efficient since it must be the power of two so it will be upscaled to ... 1024x512 ... and that is a lot of waste) ... how do the pros do this ? when they wanna fill the screen ? with a static hand drawn background... should I chop this image into
    256x512
    256x512
    128x512

Even so I'm wasting the bottom 512-480= 640x32 )

Or should I use a 512x512 resolution for my game...and strech it to 640x480 ... but that would look really bad no?

I need a bit of help about this

Thank you

Rob

making a texture bigger then the screen solution is okay cause scaling down provide still a good quality
    and if you have not much of this big images it would also render nice on youre laptop

Or should I use a 512x512 resolution for my game...and strech it to 640x480 ... but that would look really bad no?
    yeah never do this, stick to normal screen solutions, its also helpful if you use fullscreen