• Yes

26 54.17%
  • No

22 45.83%
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New Site Name!

Blog Entries

New Site Name!

Ok, after the new site name debate going on for several months, the most likely one has been suggested.

[size=24px]Pascal Games Development[/size] aka. [size=24px]PGD[/size] for short.

This name has been suggested based on the following reasons:

:arrow: Although the more popular compiler is Delphi it's not the only one that we will be covering
    :arrow: The name of the programming language is Pascal(Object Pascal in the case of Delphi and Kylix, but it's basically like a OOP superset of Pascal anyway)
    :arrow: Free Pascal supports 64-bit processors and Mac OS X where Delphi & Kylix doesn't, shouldn't we acknowlage them too?
    :arrow: There is and will be a lot of interest in other compilers other than Delphi as much as I like it, but as part of the name you have to admit, it is inaccurate.
    :arrow: The name of the site should reflect it's content thus Pascal rather than Delphi.
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

New Site Name!

Good reasoning, count me in.

It does bring up the domain issue... will we 'still' be using the 'delphigamer' one, or are we going to find an alternative for that as well? If so, what is it going to do for the built up publicity of what is still two sites at the moment?

New Site Name!

As a simple basic member who reads posts more than he writes himself, i must say that i prefer DGDev to PGD. :? No doubt the fact i'm used to it unbalances the poll, but when i was even more of a newbie i didn't understand the link between the delphi IDE and the pascal programming language :scratch: , as I often melt them in the Delphi programming language... :roll: the truth is that i never searched google for "pascal tutorial"; instead I always used delphi in the keywords...
    I understand my vision may not be representative at all and other pascal compilators should be part of the site, I still think the DGDev name is great !

Abened

PS : Don't take my opinion too serioulsy, because if the website name changes, it won't cost me too much to change my habits lol

New Site Name!

The problem isn;t chnaging the habits of people already on the site but making it easier to find for people just starting off using DELPHI as a game development tool.

I think it needs to be called DELPHI something.
    William Cairns
    My Games: http://www.cairnsgames.co.za (Currently very inactive)
    MyOnline Games: http://TheGameDeveloper.co.za (Currently very inactive)

Blog Entries

New Site Name!

The site will clearly show Delphi within the site, but it will also clearly state Free Pascal aswell along with Kylix. So wheres the problem here?

Everything other than Delphi is being put under the Delphi label. Thats like bad advertizing even before anyone reads anything else on the site. Think about it. Why don't we just call it the 'Delphi & Windows With DirectX Site For People That Mostly Program In 2D But On Occation Is Known To Release A 3D Product With Something Other Than DelphiX'?

The title of this site should be short all inlusive and reflect what we do here. I don't think we are platform specific nor are we compiler specific so our title should reflect that.
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

New Site Name!

I agree with what cairnswm and Abened said. Delphi may perhaps be a part of the whole. It is nontheless the most familiar to most. And although I know it is not entirely just, but Pascal sounds old to me. A thing of the past.

For me DGDev is good enough.

New Site Name!

I can understand the attempt to link in other compilers to the site but to me the word pascal conjures up images of old Turbo Pascal and that instantly dates the perceived activities of this site.

DPGdev?
    The views expressed on this programme are bloody good ones. - Fred Dagg

New Site Name!

delphi is just an ide for the object pascal language. And the pascal language is more then just Delphi. I hope the namechange brings in more people from other pascal languages.
    http://3das.noeska.com - create adventure games without programming

New Site Name!

Considering the site will not be limited to delphi, I think that PGD is a good name. I totaly agree with what WILL said, about bad advertising, and I think that putting Free Pascal stuff etc. under a "delphi name" would be a bad thing to do.
    BK - we.create (tm)

New Site Name!

Hi,

I look into many discuss forums other than English language (I am looking for DelphiX only, in Russian, Japanese, Polish, Czech, Slovak, Magyar, Persian, Chinese and other sources). No, problems had still the same. Is not functionally database of (instant) solutions and bad documented (help, examples) of using products (I think products as DelphiX pack, Powerdraw, WDX etc. pack and other like plug-ins or utilities for this. Find no HOW, it is describes, but WHY doing it hereby). When I look for to the full solution (like as initialization complete, effect component, welcome display, score display and other), its no exist. But exist many advices scattered in many forumes.
    For example for DelphiX had really a number of Internet sources and many other "too sources" refer there only. I thinks, that many peoples will not seek solution for routine works, they are in anticipation of complete menu.
    But I cannot speak of because I am using DelphiX two months only. I am "still new user" only sorry. I am do together old utility of DelphiX only (and with bad languange).
    Ijcro.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast