Thread: glCapsViewer (and online database)

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    PGD Staff / News Reporter phibermon's Avatar
    Thanks for this Sascha! an incredibly useful tool, even more so as the database grows.

I'm afraid I get an error upon 'Detect caps' :

Invalid object path .

--

XP 64bit SP2, local NTFS volume, No file/folder security issues (admin user), GTX 460 with driver 270.61.

I've extracted the content to a sub-folder and the root of a drive with the same results.

EDIT :

http://zrusin.blogspot.com/2011/04/apitrace.html

This tool allows one to trace GL / D3D calls that are made by an application by utializing pass a through OpenGL32.dll, d3d9.dll etc

Perhaps the output from this tool or somthing similar could be parsed in a such a way that it can be cross-referenced against your database in order to show a developer the cards that support the features they use? statistical techniques could then be employed to highlight extensions that when avoided, provided the greater additional number of suported cards, or to select a card and to highlight unsupported calls and possibly one day provide contextual hints as to unused extensions that may be preferable to those utilized by the app.

If the information is available to use, perhaps statistics from 3D Mark on used cards would provide a useful data-feed to sort functions/extensions by their availability in the wild.

Regarding the searching of the database, even if it contained every card in existance, it probably wouldn't be very big. You could retain an online database but have the app download updated data now and then and do the intensive searches client side, this would help alleviate server load and help avoid possible security holes.
    Last edited by phibermon; 08-08-2011 at 12:05 PM.
    When the moon hits your eye like a big pizza pie - that's an extinction level impact event.