Thread: glCapsViewer (and online database)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    PGD Staff / News Reporter phibermon's Avatar
    I actually just had exactly the same thought as my mouse hovered over upload so I didn't.

Windows API function GetVersionEx will do the trick :

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/libr...(v=vs.85).aspx

EDIT :

Page has a table towards the bottom showing factors of windows version from 2000 to windows 7 :

Page has C example covering everything from 2000 to 7 (half way down there are updates, bug fix)

Thanks again, will wait until next release before I upload.
    Last edited by phibermon; 08-08-2011 at 01:55 PM.
    When the moon hits your eye like a big pizza pie - that's an extinction level impact event.

I just made a small update to the database :
    • Added extension search
      You can now display only reports that support a given extensions. So if you want to use some special extension, just enter it into the search box and all reports that support it are listed.
    • Basic stats
      Number of reports divided by vendor and os are now displayed.

@Phibermon :
    Thanks for the links. Though I'd prefer to have just a simple string with OS and version info returned I'll have a look at those functions to see what I can do to get away from WMI. Though WMI is a very nice thing, cause it even allows you to read out the videocard's memory and much much more.

Win32-Version updated to 0.4a

I noticed on my second PC that the error message even showed up for a 32-Bit XP. So I dumped the WMI thing completly and replaced it with a simple method that reads out the OS product name from the registry. This should workt better, and at least worked on Vista 64 and XP 32. It woulbe be great if everyone that got the error with the old version could test out the new one and tell me if it works!

Download : http://www.saschawillems.de/download...ewer-win32.zip

PGD Staff / News Reporter phibermon's Avatar
    Yes I can confirm it works, it returns "Microsoft Windows XP" on this system. No indication of 32/64bit but it's probably only worthwhile making the distinction for Vista and 7, there's going to be barely anyone on XP64 and server users will be a minority.

Thanks again for your time on this, such a database will be invaluable to so many people.

I've experimented with APITrace (commented on in my first responce) and it's quite in-depth, it might be a bit of a pain to parse the info (if it was a good idea)

--

Does anybody reading know of any other 'pass-through' tools that log the GL calls made by an application?
    When the moon hits your eye like a big pizza pie - that's an extinction level impact event.

Thanks for your feedback. I'm glad it works, and it was actually not only XP64 that had the problems. Tried in a 32 Bit XP on an older machine and got the same error, so I guess it's best to leave WMI out of the app. And yes, I don't think it's important to know wether the report is from a 64 or 32-Bit machine as the OpenGL capabilities should be the same for the same driver.

And as for logging GL calls, have you tried GLDebugger. It became freeware some time ago and is a pretty in-depth debugger for OpenGL apps.

Worked fine here, I've uploaded the results!
    Last edited by Jimmy Valavanis; 30-03-2012 at 04:22 PM. Reason: My ignorance and my procedural aproach to programming should not spam the forum of OOP geniuses

No OpenGL info is displayed when the program starts and when I click "Detect caps" I get access violation.

Do you have a driver with OpenGL support installed? A user over at DGL reported the same problem and it turned out he only had the default windows drivers for his card installed, and these don't include an OpenGL ICD. So make sure you have OpenGL driver installed. And if you have them installed could you tell me which OS you're running on and what graphics card you use?

And I'll try to implement hardware support detection for the next version so users without proper OpenGL support won't get crashes or AVs.